Previous weight loss attempts?

BattlecryForever
on 11/3/17 7:17 pm

I was referred to Guelph, and read this on their website: "Patients must have had previous formal weight loss attempt, preferably with doctor/ Registered Dietitian or program."

Although I have attempted to lose weight in the past (and currently), I haven't been involved in a formal weight loss program in YEARS. Can anyone speak to this requirement? Do they still require this for approval?

oneatatime
on 11/3/17 7:48 pm
RNY on 09/01/17

Hi there,

I don't know about the Guelph program, but with the form I filled out, I had to put what programs I did and when... including meds I've tried, both prescription and OTC.

I included my 48 (obviously an exaggeration) Weigh****chers attempts - I think I wrote down 4 or 5 of them though. That's a formal program. I put approximate dates and approximate amounts of weight lost. I can't remember... it's been so long. I had Jenny Craig, Herbal Magic. That diet pill that came out years ago (the name was on the form), and OTC stuff from the nature store. I'm sure I had other stuff on there too.

Whatever you can think of, put it down. Even SlimFast type things.

Success is not the key to happiness. Happiness is the key to success. Choose happy.

Opti -10 / M1 -25.5 / M2 -10 / M3 -14.5 / M4 -13 / M5 -10 / M6 -5.5 / M7 -9.5 / M8 -13.5 / M9 -0.5 / M10 -2.5 / M11 -2.5 / M12 +2 / M13 -5.5

Century Club and Onederland in month 7!!

BattlecryForever
on 11/3/17 8:34 pm, edited 11/3/17 1:36 pm
BattlecryForever
on 11/3/17 8:38 pm
On November 4, 2017 at 2:48 AM Pacific Time, oneatatime wrote:

Hi there,

I don't know about the Guelph program, but with the form I filled out, I had to put what programs I did and when... including meds I've tried, both prescription and OTC.

I included my 48 (obviously an exaggeration) Weigh****chers attempts - I think I wrote down 4 or 5 of them though. That's a formal program. I put approximate dates and approximate amounts of weight lost. I can't remember... it's been so long. I had Jenny Craig, Herbal Magic. That diet pill that came out years ago (the name was on the form), and OTC stuff from the nature store. I'm sure I had other stuff on there too.

Whatever you can think of, put it down. Even SlimFast type things.

48 attempts. :D

I've never really believed in diets or products, so the only really FORMAL program I've been on was a 6 week fat loss program at Goodlife, and that was when I was like 16!

oneatatime
on 11/4/17 5:48 am
RNY on 09/01/17

The GoodLife program is a formal program. Be sure to include that one.

The risk you will run into if you don't demonstrate you've tried to lose the weight on your own is that they will want you to try losing on your own first. Surgery is a "last resort".

I understand not believing in diets... I suspect you have more of a belief in healthy eating for life approach? And have tried to lose weight doing that over the years? Following what? Where did you learn the principles you followed? How did you track? What were your results? Document it all.

Success is not the key to happiness. Happiness is the key to success. Choose happy.

Opti -10 / M1 -25.5 / M2 -10 / M3 -14.5 / M4 -13 / M5 -10 / M6 -5.5 / M7 -9.5 / M8 -13.5 / M9 -0.5 / M10 -2.5 / M11 -2.5 / M12 +2 / M13 -5.5

Century Club and Onederland in month 7!!

Dee321ca
on 11/3/17 7:55 pm

I had my orientation with Hamilton last week and they mentioned it too. Same sort of things that oneatatime mentioned (weigh****chers, etc).

(deactivated member)
on 11/3/17 8:55 pm

Some of my attempts with formal groups like weigh****chers, Jenny Craig, Cabbage Soup diet etc were all over 5 years ago.

I had tried juicing with Joe Cross and then over eaters anominious in the last 4 years. They did not ask me anything.

Just be honest but I do not thing they are asking for details to check on you. It' more to get a idea of what not working and you have tried to help yourself in someway.

This was my experience with that portion.

Good luck! Penny

BattlecryForever
on 11/3/17 9:04 pm
On November 4, 2017 at 3:55 AM Pacific Time, RoundPenny wrote:

Some of my attempts with formal groups like weigh****chers, Jenny Craig, Cabbage Soup diet etc were all over 5 years ago.

I had tried juicing with Joe Cross and then over eaters anominious in the last 4 years. They did not ask me anything.

Just be honest but I do not thing they are asking for details to check on you. It' more to get a idea of what not working and you have tried to help yourself in someway.

This was my experience with that portion.

Good luck! Penny

Thanks.

LeslieCL
on 11/4/17 5:01 am

All specific diets you've tried like Scarsdale, Beverly Hills or Atkins. Any programs like Dr B., WW. Or any nutritionists. Also if your Dr gave you a diet sheet to follow. In addition I wrote "every diet on the cover of Woman's World."

They want to see that you have tried.

Referred January 7/17, Orientation Humber May 28/17, Meet Dr. August 4/17, TRIO November 3/17, Internist November 21/17, Surgeon again December 21/17, Pre-op assessment January 4/18 and Surgery January 12/18.

(deactivated member)
on 11/4/17 9:53 am, edited 11/4/17 2:55 am - Courtice, Canada
RNY on 03/19/18

Seems to me I recall a post recently where someone was asked to try to lose weight via dietitian and come back in a year because they hadn't had multiple attempts at weight loss. So, now that you know the requirement start the research and maybe start a diet whether you believe in it or not.. :)

A few more I wrote down were hynpotherapy, xenical, Saxenda, seeing a dietitian. I think the last time I tried WW was close to 20 years ago. And there were many years where I was more focused on having my kids and living through the daily grind that trying a diet was the last thing on my mind.

I think they want to make sure you can follow a program as your eating will have to change so drastically and they don't want you to think this is the easy way out. It's definitely a last resort.

Good luck!

Most Active
Recent Topics