Got my Orientation letter to TWH!!

Sampy142
on 11/24/17 5:21 pm

I am so excited just got my orientation letter to TWH!!

2 questions if anyone could help me

A) It says the orientation is for Gastric Bypass, will I be able to choose the sleeve surgery over the bypass?

B) How long is the current wait times until surgery?

Please help!!

(deactivated member)
on 11/24/17 7:10 pm - Courtice, Canada
RNY on 03/19/18

Congratulations, as a rule it is the surgeon who chooses the type of surgery you receive.

At orientation they tell you the wait time from orientation to surgery is about a year. Some people have had luck with calling for cancellations for appointments if your schedule is flexible. I'm going through TWH and my schedule isn't flexible. In 2 weeks it will be 6 months since my orientation and I still have 2 appointments to go and they are booked for January and February.

When is your orientation?

Good luck!

Karen

Sampy142
on 11/26/17 2:27 pm

Thank you Karen, my orientation is Jan 29th 2017

oneatatime
on 11/27/17 5:19 am
RNY on 09/01/17

I moved my orientation up by a few weeks... I called to find out if there were any cancellations in an earlier one (they have them every week) and got in that same week!

If your schedule is flexible, especially with the holiday season upon, you may get extra lucky with cancellations. :)

Success is not the key to happiness. Happiness is the key to success. Choose happy.

Opti -10 / M1 -25.5 / M2 -10 / M3 -14.5 / M4 -13 / M5 -10 / M6 -5.5 / M7 -9.5 / M8 -13.5 / M9 -0.5 / M10 -2.5 / M11 -2.5 / M12 +2 / M13 -5.5

Century Club and Onederland in month 7!!

Sampy142
on 11/27/17 1:58 pm

Thanks a lot!

Sampy142
on 11/27/17 1:57 pm

Thank you Karen

Sampy142
on 11/30/17 5:59 pm

Karen, Thanks for your suggestions.

I called and asked if they had a cancellation, i got an appointment for Dec 13 th!!

Do they weigh you at the orientation?

(deactivated member)
on 12/1/17 6:09 am - Courtice, Canada
RNY on 03/19/18

No, they don't weigh you. The only time I have been weighed was at my Nurse appointment. Actually at the social worker appointment I was told they didn't expect me to be actively losing weight through the process but to be working towards making the changes required. Eating more slowly, not drinking and eating at the same time, cutting out the junk food.

They realize that food is a part of life and our celebrations so it's unrealistic to believe we'll never have a bite of cake ever again, for example.

You must be smoke free for 6 months before surgery so work on quitting now if you need to. Even a drag counts and if they test you positive they can remove you from the program.

Good luck and I can't wait to hear how it goes.

oneatatime
on 11/25/17 5:38 am
RNY on 09/01/17

Hi Sampy,

Congratulations! The usual wait time, like Karen said, is about a year. My schedule was very flexible, and I called a lot for cancellations, and I was able to have my surgery in about 4 months from orientation. Some of it will depend too if you need additional tests, like sleep test, GI scope, etc. I didn't, so the process could move fast for me.

About the sleeve vs RNY, all the practitioners will talk to you about RNY, as that is the gold standard. If you are considering the sleeve, it's a conversation to have with the surgeon. If it's absolutely required medically, because of meds you are on, they may have you meet with a surgeon sooner to determine eligibility. If it's a preference, when you meet with the surgeon, which at TWH is the final step, you talk to them about it, and should be quite insistent... it's your body, and at the end of the day, you should have some choice.

But only with the surgeon can that discussion be had. It's useless with any of the other practitioners.

Good luck!!

Success is not the key to happiness. Happiness is the key to success. Choose happy.

Opti -10 / M1 -25.5 / M2 -10 / M3 -14.5 / M4 -13 / M5 -10 / M6 -5.5 / M7 -9.5 / M8 -13.5 / M9 -0.5 / M10 -2.5 / M11 -2.5 / M12 +2 / M13 -5.5

Century Club and Onederland in month 7!!

Sampy142
on 11/26/17 2:29 pm

Thanks a lot for the information

Most Active
Recent Topics