Dr's target weight vs mine

(deactivated member)
on 12/9/17 9:32 pm

I think maybe they give the lower end- trying to be realistic and not to give too low... preparing for the worst and hoping for the best?

Diminishing Dawn
on 12/10/17 5:14 am, edited 12/9/17 9:14 pm - Windsor, Canada

They are being realistic and they are more than likely incorporating the "bounceback" into their range. They go by statistics.

Might you lose more? Possibly. Might you hit their target? Possibly. Here's the thing: go by theirs first and anything more is a bonus. It's a realistic goal. While you might like a certain number you may or may not get to the number you have in your head.

I know now too many people that have done very well by the centres standards but because they have not reached their own number that they had in their heads, considered themselves to be unsuccessful. This had messsed with their head significantly. Go for realistic as a baseline and then anything more is a great bonus.

17+ years post op RNY. first year blog here or My LongTimer blog. Tummy Tuck Dr. Matic 2014 -Ohip funded panni Windsor WLS support group.message me anytime!
HW:290 LW:139 RW: 167 CW: 139

Manda32
on 12/13/17 5:02 pm

They are usually basing target weights by percentage of excess weight lost, which I'm sure varies between centers what that percentage is, probably anywhere from 60 to 80 percent I would guess.

At my center I was told their weight for me was 194, which is a bmi of 30. They told me they find its easier maintaining at a bmi of 30. I told her I didn't accept that. I didn't do this so I'm still in the obese category.

She told me not to get discouraged in the next six months (this was at my six months appointment) if I don't even reach that. I can understand that perhaps averages show this maybe true, but I refuse to be okay with 194. My surgeon said 160 would be my lowest with some regain putting me in the 180s. I don't like that either (the regain), but just because they say this, and yes I can even reason that their experience may bare this out sometimes, but were all different!

Don't let their targets make you give up on your target weight. It's not impossible. Many people get to a healthy bmi, so please don't get discouarge.

My only advice, is whatever goal you have set for youself its okay to change it too. Either going up or down. I put 150 lbs as my goal weight, but maybe I will feel okay at 160, or maybe I won't. I know its hard to not be tied to a number, but also at some point, we have to also go by how we feel, and if you feel good at a slightly higher weight, then be happy with it. If your not happy when you get to goal, and want to lose more weight, nobody can stop you doing that.

Yes, we all vary in how much we lose, but we control our journey not the doctors or dietitians.

Orientation April 2016 - Final approvals December 2016. Surgical Class January 23, 2017. Met with Dr. Reed February 7, 2017. Opti start date March 1, 2017. Surgery March 15, 2017 (Dr. Foute-Nelong).

HW 348 SW 316 CW 191

GW 160

Most Active
Recent Topics