nsaid question

TBeat
on 12/20/17 7:00 pm

Curious- had my orientation in ottawa - found out after surgery not allowed to have advil/motrin/ etc . I will obviously ask at my next appointment but what do you take for like headaches and such- i'm very sensitive to tylenol- makes me vomit nearly all the time- i and i don't particularly want to take hard meds for a headache- just curious what you do?

oneatatime
on 12/20/17 7:13 pm
RNY on 09/01/17

This is something to discuss with your surgeon for sure then. With RNY, for over the counter pain relief, we are really limited to Tylenol as far as I know. If this is a problem for you, you may want to consider getting the Sleeve, where NSAIDs are permitted. I think most surgeons would still recommend in moderation, but I don't know... I had RNY so never asked. :)

The surgeon will look at your whole health history to determine suitability. Some surgeons push for RNY, just because. If you don't have GERD, I'd seriously push for the sleeve given your NSAID requirements. Only you and your surgeon will have the decision-making power though. In my experience the other practitioners will say no, you just get RNY.

Best of luck!!

Success is not the key to happiness. Happiness is the key to success. Choose happy.

Opti -10 / M1 -25.5 / M2 -10 / M3 -14.5 / M4 -13 / M5 -10 / M6 -5.5 / M7 -9.5 / M8 -13.5 / M9 -0.5 / M10 -2.5 / M11 -2.5 / M12 +2 / M13 -5.5

Century Club and Onederland in month 7!!

anncha
on 12/21/17 8:05 am

When I had the pharmacy meeting last week he talked about NSAIDS and how risky it is to your pouch if you take them after the RNY. Sometimes, they see the benefits outweighing the risks and will still prescribe you NSAIDS but for over the counter "just a headache" type of thing you should avoid them like the plague. The risk of issues for your pouch is very real.

The best person to talk this over with would be the surgeon as was suggested. I don't think they'd opt for the sleeve over the RNY if it was just a preference to take advil over tylenol but if you're having actual issues with tylenol they might give it consideration. Some people have had the sleeve so they can take NSAIDS.

Referral to Sudbury: April 28th 2017, Orientation: July 19th 2017, 1:1's: Dec 14th 2017, Follow up with NP: Jan 9th OTN: Jan 18th, Pre-Op: Feb 12th, Surgery: Feb 27th - 2 weeks of Opti. Hospital: St. Joseph's TO with Dr Sullivan.

Height: 5'11, age 38. SW: 323lb CW:196lb

(deactivated member)
on 12/21/17 4:34 pm - Bumfuknowhere, Canada

One member was given a sleeve because she was allergic to Tylenol but now they don't recommend nsaids with any wls so not sure what they would do now and of course it could depend on the surgeon as they all seem to feel differently about that. It's definitely something to discuss with the surgeon and or pharmacist if your centre has you speak with one.

(deactivated member)
on 12/21/17 5:11 pm, edited 12/21/17 9:11 am

I have lived on NSAIDS for over 18 years.

I am careful and only take them when I am in extreme pain. They are detrimental to your stomach lining even for people who did not get WLS. I cannot take Tylenol either by the way. I will ask for the sleeve because in some conditions I will have to take the NSAIDS.

Most Active
Recent Topics