DIYing a follow-up program

Kaylar
on 12/27/17 8:47 am - Toronto, On

Hi everyone,

So it finally happened. I got an offer from work to transfer back home to PEI, and I'm taking it. I'm leaving mid-January, but I'll still be paying rent at my place in Toronto until the end of February, so I miiight be able to sqeak through my 3-month check up appointments via Skype or something, but in the mean time I have a bigger issue.

Since there's no bariatric program in PEI, there's nowhere for TWH to send my file to continue my post-op appointments, so I'll have to put something together myself.

I'm going to talk to my old PEI family doctor asap, but basically all I can think of right now is that I can check in with him every so often, and he can set me up with regular appointments with a nutritionist, but I'm wondering if any of you have any ideas of other things I could do to kind of DIY myself a program.

I'm probably going to stay on this forum too, since the PEI one is basically dead for similar reasons. XD

Hope you're all doing well and having a happy holiday!

Kayla

Kathy1212
on 12/27/17 9:00 am

Hi Kayla,

Congrats on your new job! I have wanted to visit PEI ever since I first read the Anne of Green Gables series when I was little; how cool that you're from there and get to go home again!

I live 700 km away from my surgery center and did most of my follow up via a Skype like program and with my own family doctor too. To be honest my family doctor was a lot more helpful than the folks over Skype.

My center just sends my blood work orders to my doctor, who forwards them to the blood lab, and then he sends the results back to the center; maybe your family doctor and your center can work out a similar arrangement?

I use this forum and Youtube for support as there is no local support group, my fitness pal to record my meals, and map my walk/map my ride for exercise. I did buy a fitness bracelet but hate wearing it, lol.

Pre-Op Visit: Jan. 10, 2017, weight 304, surgeon: Dr. David Lindsay, St. Joe's, Toronto

1st Day of (3 weeks worth of) Optifast: Jan. 11, 2017

Surgery Date: Feb. 1st, 2017

Kathy  

Ginnny
on 12/27/17 11:58 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 04/11/16

The difference I see for you Kathy is that you and your doctor are both in Ontario. I doubt that your arrangement would work inter-provincially. But I could be wrong.

Over 100 lbs lost! and 13 lbs below goal weight!

Kaylar
on 12/27/17 3:22 pm - Toronto, On

Thanks for the reply! Unfortunately the centre told me that I'll cease to be a patient there as soon as I move, so the best I can hope for is they'll be willing to send along some info as to how to proceed.

I didn't think to use YouTube as a source of support. Do you post your own videos or are you following a channel in particular?

Harpediem
on 12/27/17 11:06 am

So lucky going back to the Island! I hop you move is a smooth one. I know a couple people in Halifax who had wls and they were sent to Ottawa for it, so that may be where your aftercare is handled. Choose your GP carefully and give them all the info they need on wls. Congrats again.

pauline

Ginnny
on 12/27/17 11:56 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 04/11/16

I would suggest that you ask TWH for the lab requisition that would be drawn at 6 months and then annually, that way you can be sure that your doctor requests all the necessary lab work for you at the right time.

Staying on top of your labs will be very important since your family dr doesn't likely have bariatric experience.

Also, just speaking with TWH they may be able to make some suggestions for you. Doesn't hurt to ask.

Congrats on the job offer, and good luck.

Over 100 lbs lost! and 13 lbs below goal weight!

Kaylar
on 12/27/17 3:23 pm - Toronto, On

Thanks! Luckily I still have the packet of requisition they gave us at the one month check in, so I'm good on that front. Hopefully they'll be able to give me some pointers beyond that.

Teena D.
on 12/28/17 5:32 am - Oshawa, Canada
RNY on 01/12/17

Yes I agree that this is the number 1 concern. I use Lifelabs - I'm not sure if they are in PEI or not, but there are other labs that offer the ability to see your results online. I then enter everything in to a spreadsheet so that I can see any trends or concerns. I also usually post the results on here, as there are so many people that are very knowledgeable on what our labs should look like. Vitamin deficiencies are a very serious concern so you will need to be your own advocate. Even though I am with the TWH centre, I feel it's my responsibility to keep vigilant about my results.

Congratulations and good luck with your move!

RNY Jan 12, 2017 Lost 137 lbs but regained 60.

77 lbs lost and counting!

Losing the regain! I got this!

(deactivated member)
on 12/27/17 2:48 pm

Congrats! You can do it.

I hope it all works out for you!

How about TELE HEALTH...I wonder since you started with TWH - and OHIP .. I wonder if it would be ok?

Kaylar
on 12/27/17 3:25 pm - Toronto, On

Unfortunately you have to be resident of Ontario to be in the program, so as soon as I move they'll have to take me off the books. D:

I'm going to leave some messages tomorrow to speak to the people I'm supposed to see in Jan and Feb and see if they can help me arrange something. Fingers crossed!

Most Active
Recent Topics