Declined

Squishy_in_the_middl
e

on 1/23/18 9:38 am

A thought just occurred to me as I wait patiently for my phone call to meet the surgeon appointment. What happens if you are declined? Who gets the horrendous privilege of letting us know that tidbit of bad news?

Thus far, I am a green light go for WLS. But the surgeon could dump a load on me and decline me anyways.

Thoughts?

Orientation- May 2017, Pre nutrition class- Aug 2017, Blood work- Aug 2017. RPN meeting- Sept 2017. Dietician and Psychiatrist Dec 2017. Internist- Dec 2017. Meet the Surgeon Feb 20th 2018. VSG surgery march 17, 2018 with Dr. Gmora

LeiLei43
on 1/23/18 9:44 am

Don't think like that. I honestly have not heard of someone getting a green light from the centre and then being declined. I have only heard of the surgeon possibly requesting another test but never completely declining. Does this actually happen to people? But don't think like that...I have faith that you will have a call soon to meet the surgeon. Fingers crossed for you.

MichelleS61
on 1/23/18 9:51 am - Lindsay, Canada
RNY on 02/26/18

I would think you could be declined at any point until you've been approved by the "committee" but once you've been through everything and area approved I would expect that its just a matter of timing at that point. Unless there was something that came up with the surgical appointment that hadn't been previously covered.

57 - 6'0" - HW:288 SW:260 CW:185

TWH: Referral Aug. '16, Orientation - Nov. 30 '16, Surgeon Oct. 6 '17, Start Optifast Feb. 5'18 - Surgery Feb. 26'18

Opti -25; M1 -23; M2 -17; M3 -7; M4 -5; M5 -5; M6 -6; M7 -0; M8 -2; M9 -0; M10 -2; M11-0; M12-4;

Squishy_in_the_middl
e

on 1/23/18 10:06 am

I am trying to be positive believe me when I say this. I tend to let my anxiety get the better of me and it starts to put doubt into my old noodle which then makes me question everything and anything once, twice three times over. Anxiety has caused many a sleepless night in my house (just ask the hubby).

Thank you both for the supportive words, I needed to hear them desperately!

Orientation- May 2017, Pre nutrition class- Aug 2017, Blood work- Aug 2017. RPN meeting- Sept 2017. Dietician and Psychiatrist Dec 2017. Internist- Dec 2017. Meet the Surgeon Feb 20th 2018. VSG surgery march 17, 2018 with Dr. Gmora

LeiLei43
on 1/24/18 12:55 pm

Just wanted to check in and see how you were holding up today?

Referral ~ early November 2017, Orientation ~ January 10th, 2018, Social Worker ~ February 13th, 2018, Dietitian ~ February 13, 2018, Registered Nurse ~ February 14th, 2018, OTN with Dr. Lindsay ~ February 22nd, 2018, Pre-Op and Gastroscopy ~ February 26th, 2018, Liquid Diet ~ March 8th, 2018, Surgery ~ March 29th, 2018 not completed due to complications, Surgery ~ May 30th, 2018!

SweetRide1
on 1/23/18 10:39 am
RNY on 01/16/18

Be positive, or at least try. If you got the green light to see the surgeon, then you are in pretty good shape. Why could the surgeon turn you down? What would be the reason?

At my meeting with the surgeon it was pretty cut and dry. It was a foregone conclusion that I was having surgery, it was just the type I was having that needed to be sorted out.

I think anxiety runs pretty high for all of us. I know I was on tenterhooks until that meeting with the surgeon. The surge of relief once I walked out of the meeting was somewhat overwhelming.

Instead of thinking why you would be declined, why not write out a list of why you should be approved? In think the positives will outweigh the negatives.

Good Luck Squishy.

Referral - May 31/17; Orientation - June 15/17; First Appt Nurse - June 26/17; Bloodwork and ECG - June 27/17; Sleep Study - July 5/17; Dietician Appt - July 10/17; Counsellor Appt - July 10/17; Abdominal Ultrasound - July 10/17: Endoscopy/Colonoscopy - July 25/17; Second Dietician Appt - September 14/17; Internist Appt - October 2/17; Meet the Surgeon - November 21/17; Pre Surgery Nutrition Class - January 12/18; Surgery - January 16/18

CarlRay
on 1/26/18 9:38 am
RNY on 02/28/17

Yes, this x 100

Each and every time from orientation at the clinic, through all the tests, classes and individual assessments, I had a confidence that I was doing the right thing, doing my best to adhere to the plan, and so on, but in the back of my mind, there was a little voice that said "What if they turn me down? What if I haven't lost weight, or gained? What if I'm deemed psychologically unfit? What if? What if?" These never got the best of me, but they were little thoughts that popped up from time to time. Each appointment just affirmed that those questions were nonsense of course, and I never had any setbacks in the process. The surgeon didn't even have one concern by the time I met him a month before operation. He reviewed my chart, explained each option and then said "RNY is what I've picked for you" which is the one I was looking at anyway (I'd already done my homework on each procedure). The anxiety was immediately gone after leaving that appointment. The only thing I did make sure of at that point was to follow the Optifast for the week he had me on it, and not gain any weight leading up to surgery. That was my job, and he did his. Key for me was thinking about it being a team environment. You're part of a team, and a team works together, each doing their part, to have success.

Harpediem
on 1/23/18 5:05 pm

Declining you or accepting you is not the point of the meeting. The surgeon depends on the rest of the team to do that. The point of the meeting is to personalize the process for you so you meet the person wielding the knife, and for you to ask any questions you have. Make a list. I had 20 questions and got them all answered.

teetee195
on 1/26/18 12:29 pm

what kinds of questions did you ask.

Diminishing Dawn
on 1/23/18 6:23 pm - Windsor, Canada

The only reasons I've ever seen anyone turn down in the final stages was because they have a severe medical issues that interferes with surgery like not being able to clot blood. Unless you have a major health condition don't worry about it

17+ years post op RNY. first year blog here or My LongTimer blog. Tummy Tuck Dr. Matic 2014 -Ohip funded panni Windsor WLS support group.message me anytime!
HW:290 LW:139 RW: 167 CW: 139

Most Active
Recent Topics