Back at the beginning... Here we go!

Ontario_Girl
on 1/24/18 1:23 pm, edited 1/26/18 8:07 am - Canada

Hello everyone!

3 years ago I entered into the process.... but 3 days prior to surgery I got too afraid and backed out. But after 3 years of battling my food addiction and having some realizations (as I sit here typing, almost exactly at the weight I was 3 years ago) I finally decided its really time and enter the process again.

I got my referral sent out the first time in November, but it had to be resent out in December due to office error and I recieved my orientation letter for the thunder bay bariatric centers orientation soon after the referral was sent in. This past Monday I did the orientation, and now my next appointment with the internist has been booked for February 14th. The process is intimidating in thunder bay as it goes so darn fast. But we do have the ability to choose our own surgery date once the surgeon gives the OK! I can choose sooner or later, whichever is best for me.

So here I am, nervous, excited and not going to jump out of the way again. I need this for me. For my health and ultimately my quality life!

UPDATE TO ANSWER SOME QUESTIONS:

Thanks everyone! AT the time it just wasn't my time. I was already googling about restriction, how long it lasted and when i could eat a full meal again. It was horrible. I don't know why I held onto the portion size so tight! If I would have gone through with surgery at the time, I would have failed. Now, I'm finally ready. I feel ready. As scared/nervous I feel, I still feel ready.

The process also went really fast for me last time. I did orientation in March and was booked for surgery that June. I didn't have time to think, or process what was happening, let alone deal with my issues with food.

Now im terrifying excited. I'm ready for this new chapter and as each day passes, I feel more and more comfortable with my choice to move ahead!

TheRealMeWithin
on 1/24/18 2:07 pm - Canada
RNY on 06/02/17

I know that it is a very personal decision that everyone needs to make for themselves, but if anyone ever asked me my thoughts on it I would shout "DO IT!"

It is, without a doubt, the best thing I ever did for myself. Every single aspect of my life is better. I can't get over how truly different I feel (and look).

I was also nervous before, never to the point of changing my mind, but just the regular worries about surgery.

I can tell you, if any of your worries are food related (i.e. I can't imagine never eating that again) don't let that get you down. Most people find that no foods are off-limits, just you need to limit when/how often/how much of them you eat. I can pretty much eat anything I want now (7.5 months post-op) but for the most part I choose not to eat foods that got me to that weight in the first place. As the weigh drops off quickly - and it will - you will find yourself not wanting those things, not wanting to sabotage your efforts.

Good luck to you as you go through this process again. I know that you won't regret it :)

Surgery Jun.2/17 at TWH ----- HW 215 - SW 197.2 - GW 125 CW 124.6

Pre-Op=8.8lbs --- Optifast= 8.4 (was on it for 9 days due to cancellation)

M1 - 20.6... M2 -10.2... M3 -8.0... M4 -5.8... M5 -9.0... M6 -5.2... M7 -7.0... M8 -2.2... M9 -0.9... M10 -2.6... M11-0.6... M12-2.0

https://trendweight.com/u/6ffd55753da24d/

oneatatime
on 1/24/18 5:52 pm
RNY on 09/01/17

Welcome!!!

It can be a scary process for many... you aren't alone in backing out, and you aren't alone in coming back. I had surgery almost 5 months ago, and it was the best thing I have ever done for myself. I am over 80 lbs down, and my health has improved dramatically, as had every aspect of my life.

It's not for everyone... you have to decide not only is it right for you, but if it's the right time. For me, all the stars were aligned and it was right. I moved super quickly through the process. Again, it was right for me.

I wish you all the best in your journey, whatever you choose. Hopefully posting and reading posts will help you along the way!

Success is not the key to happiness. Happiness is the key to success. Choose happy.

Opti -10 / M1 -25.5 / M2 -10 / M3 -14.5 / M4 -13 / M5 -10 / M6 -5.5 / M7 -9.5 / M8 -13.5 / M9 -0.5 / M10 -2.5 / M11 -2.5 / M12 +2 / M13 -5.5

Century Club and Onederland in month 7!!

BattlecryForever
on 1/25/18 11:16 am
On January 25, 2018 at 1:52 AM Pacific Time, oneatatime wrote:

Welcome!!!

It can be a scary process for many... you aren't alone in backing out, and you aren't alone in coming back. I had surgery almost 5 months ago, and it was the best thing I have ever done for myself. I am over 80 lbs down, and my health has improved dramatically, as had every aspect of my life.

It's not for everyone... you have to decide not only is it right for you, but if it's the right time. For me, all the stars were aligned and it was right. I moved super quickly through the process. Again, it was right for me.

I wish you all the best in your journey, whatever you choose. Hopefully posting and reading posts will help you along the way!

I hear people say that, that it's not right for everyone. I'm curious, who is it not right for? Why would someone decide the surgery is not for them?

oneatatime
on 1/25/18 3:40 pm
RNY on 09/01/17

It's a great question!!

If someone is not ready to make the lifestyle changes required to eat/drink/behave according to the plan, this isn't right for them. If they have problems with addiction, it can be magnified; so this wouldn't be right.

The surgery only changes our stomachs... it does not deal with any of the emotional/head hunger. Or cravings. Also, because we lose so fast, we tend to draw a lot of attention to ourselves. That can be really intimidating for some people.

Then there's the cost of vitamins. New clothes...

And... the ups and downs of the journey. The stalls, the weeks the scale doesn't move, the fear the "surgery isn't working".

For some, there are complications. And for all, the possibility of complications.

I could go on!!! Trust me, the benefits FAR outweigh ALL of that for me; but I'm my humble opinion, those are real things that must be considered as one decides to have surgery or not. :)

Success is not the key to happiness. Happiness is the key to success. Choose happy.

Opti -10 / M1 -25.5 / M2 -10 / M3 -14.5 / M4 -13 / M5 -10 / M6 -5.5 / M7 -9.5 / M8 -13.5 / M9 -0.5 / M10 -2.5 / M11 -2.5 / M12 +2 / M13 -5.5

Century Club and Onederland in month 7!!

SweetRide1
on 1/26/18 7:11 am
RNY on 01/16/18

It wasn't right for me 3 years ago. I thought about it and thought about it but couldn't push the button to do it.

It took me 3 years to decide and realize that I HAD to make significant changes in order to become healthy. It was no longer an option. I had to do something.

Once I hurdled that emotional and mental block, I was ready and it was right.

Referral - May 31/17; Orientation - June 15/17; First Appt Nurse - June 26/17; Bloodwork and ECG - June 27/17; Sleep Study - July 5/17; Dietician Appt - July 10/17; Counsellor Appt - July 10/17; Abdominal Ultrasound - July 10/17: Endoscopy/Colonoscopy - July 25/17; Second Dietician Appt - September 14/17; Internist Appt - October 2/17; Meet the Surgeon - November 21/17; Pre Surgery Nutrition Class - January 12/18; Surgery - January 16/18

crqvingchange
on 1/24/18 6:25 pm

Welcome. We are here for you. Research here, ask questions, ask for support. That's why were are here. You've got this girl.

CENTURY CLUB MEMBER at 6 months post-op.

Referral to Guelph Feb/13, Sleep study and all bloodwork and ultrasound May/13, orientation July/13. Nurse, NUT,SW Sept/13, 2nd NUT, nurse and SW, 3rd round and cleared for surgery Dec/13. Pre-op Apr 7/14, Surgeon May 2/14, Opti Jul 3/14, surgery Jul 17/14.

Kathy1212
on 1/26/18 7:27 am

Welcome, and congratulations on making the decision.

I don't regret making the decision for one minute; it's the best thing I ever did to myself. I'll be 1 year post op on Feb. 1st and am down 134 Lbs.

Pre-Op Visit: Jan. 10, 2017, weight 304, surgeon: Dr. David Lindsay, St. Joe's, Toronto

1st Day of (3 weeks worth of) Optifast: Jan. 11, 2017

Surgery Date: Feb. 1st, 2017

Kathy  

T-MAC
on 1/26/18 8:36 am - Niagara Falls, on

I was kinda in the same situation about 13 years. I was referred to Dr. Joffe in Scarborough back in 2006. He had said it was a 3 year waiting period at that time and he told me it was a 50% chance of dying on the table. I had got scared and backed out immediately. Now I was referred in Hamilton back in Jul/17 and i am glad I did go to it. I see the surgeon on Feb 14/18

Most Active
Recent Topics