New job and appointments

BattlecryForever
on 3/5/18 8:50 pm

I am in the pre-op stage and still have several appointments left to go. I just got a new job that starts in April... right around the time that I have an entire day of appointments booked. What do you think I should tell my new employer about why I need the time off? Should I cancel the appointments and wait until I'm past the probationary period?

If/when I do have the surgery, I have no intention of telling my co-workers and boss what the surgery is. Did anyone lie about what kind of surgery they were having?

SweetRide1
on 3/6/18 3:00 am
RNY on 01/16/18

I wouldn't cancel that whole day of appointments. I would tell them up front that you have these appointments and that they were made months ago. Typically, something that has already been booked and you are upfront about, doesn't get anyone worked up.

You don't have to tel them what kind of surgery you are having. Telling them you are having abdominal surgery is sufficient.

Referral - May 31/17; Orientation - June 15/17; First Appt Nurse - June 26/17; Bloodwork and ECG - June 27/17; Sleep Study - July 5/17; Dietician Appt - July 10/17; Counsellor Appt - July 10/17; Abdominal Ultrasound - July 10/17: Endoscopy/Colonoscopy - July 25/17; Second Dietician Appt - September 14/17; Internist Appt - October 2/17; Meet the Surgeon - November 21/17; Pre Surgery Nutrition Class - January 12/18; Surgery - January 16/18

Ginnny
on 3/6/18 4:41 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 04/11/16

I agree with SweetRide, be honest and tell them that you have some medical appointments that were booked months ago.

Also you don't need to tell them anything other than I am having surgery. They can't ask you for what and you don't need to tell them.

I didn't give any indication to my employer as to what part of my body needed surgery, just that I would be off for 8 weeks. The insurance form goes to the insurance company and I got a separate note from my family doctor to give to my employer stating that I would be off as a result of surgery.

The employer is not entitled to details of your private life.

Over 100 lbs lost! and 13 lbs below goal weight!

Jenprince
on 3/6/18 10:06 am

I am in the same boat as you. I am trying to figure a way to take the time off after surgery. I am wondering if they can fire you if your doctor says you need the time off.

Hw: 350. Referred January 16th 2018 to TWH. Orientation February 12th 2018.Social Worker February 28th 2018. Nurse March 12th 2018.Nutritionist Class March 12th 2018. Psychiatrist April 20th 2018. Dietician May 23rd 2018.

BattlecryForever
on 3/6/18 2:35 pm
On March 6, 2018 at 6:06 PM Pacific Time, Jenprince wrote:

I am in the same boat as you. I am trying to figure a way to take the time off after surgery. I am wondering if they can fire you if your doctor says you need the time off.

If you're not past your probationary period, they can fire you. It happened to a couple of people I know from a facebook weight loss page.

Ginnny
on 3/8/18 6:50 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 04/11/16

They can't fire you for medical reasons. They would need to come up with some other excuse.

Over 100 lbs lost! and 13 lbs below goal weight!

Daisydoo02
on 3/6/18 11:04 am - GTA, Ontario, Canada
RNY on 11/15/13

I would tell your new employer that you need X day off for a series of pre op appts for an upcoming medical leave (they are going to need to know about the surgery eventually). If they ask about what that is just say "surgery." If they push on "what" surgery you can say "oh not to worry I will discuss that with Occupational Health dept or Human Resources (if you have those at your work). Its no one's business "what" surgery. You don't need to lie, just say "surgery" or "medical leave," neither is a lie.

For future after you are post op if anyone asks what kind of surgery you had you can say "oh I only discuss those kinds of things with by spouse/kids or my doctor, but thank you for asking" and walk away.

Best of luck!

Daisy 5'5" HW: 290 SW: 254 CW: 120

Nov 15, 2013: RNY - Toronto Western Hospital, Nov 2, 2017: Gallbladder removal & hernia repair

Sept 7, 2023: three +1 hernia's repaired in bowel

10+ years post op, living & loving life!

jayjen789
on 7/27/18 7:16 am - Greater Toronto Area, , Canada
RNY on 12/12/18

This is an amazing answer! I was thinking about this the other day :-)

Referral May 2018, Humber River (HRRH) Orientation June 2018...Surgery December 2018

MichelleS61
on 3/6/18 11:31 am - Lindsay, Canada
RNY on 02/26/18

Not sure which appointments you still have but when I met with the social worker a big part of the question was affording time off and that you needed to be able to take 6-8 weeks off depending on recovery. I get 7 sick days and this year 3 weeks vacation, so have been able work around with those as I have a desk job my plan was always to go back after 2 weeks at least part days barring complications. I had to basically promise that I'd have financial support if I couldn't go back to work right away, thankfully my parents had already volunteered to help out if need.

If you work for a small company secrecy is pretty hard, depends on the policies of the company. I wouldn't cancell the appointments as it's always easy to tell them you need a day up front. You can always get through the approval process then delay surgery if you can't take time off right away.

57 - 6'0" - HW:288 SW:260 CW:185

TWH: Referral Aug. '16, Orientation - Nov. 30 '16, Surgeon Oct. 6 '17, Start Optifast Feb. 5'18 - Surgery Feb. 26'18

Opti -25; M1 -23; M2 -17; M3 -7; M4 -5; M5 -5; M6 -6; M7 -0; M8 -2; M9 -0; M10 -2; M11-0; M12-4;

Most Active
Recent Topics