How fast is too fast?

erin_mae
on 4/7/18 10:25 am

Hi all, I'm looking for a little advice.

I'm Post-Op day 4 today. I'm working to get my fluids/protein in and I have a question about how fast should I be going? My bariatric program recommends 30 mls (1 fl oz) every 15 minutes. Today I had a Bariatric Pal Tomato soup (yay fluid and protein in one!) which was 250 mls (8 fl oz) and it took me just about an hour to consume it. According to how my program directs me, it should take me closed to 2 hours to get that in. Am I going to fast? I don't want to stretch or damage my pouch, but I feel like every 15 minutes is painfully slow. I'm kind of letting my gut be my guide. If I start to feel uncomfortable, I stop and take a brea****il the feeling has passes for a while. Sometimes its just a need to burp. Most of the time is one or two teaspoons full (like a teaspoon from the table, not a measuring spoon) then a good five minute or so break. Sometimes its a little more going in, sometimes a little less. I'm just really concerned about screwing up my pouch so early on.

Thanks for any and all advice.

Referred: Sept 1/17--Info package lost in the mail -- Orientation Jan 10/18--Dietician Feb 16/18--Social Worker Feb 16/18--Nurse Practitioner Feb 23/18--Dietician phone follow up Mar 2/18--OTN Surgeon Consult March 14/18- Opti started March 16/18--Surgery date April 3/18 with Dr. Cyriac at Michael Garon Hospital--HW: 273 Opti SW: 263 Post Opti:253 M1:233

Swiggum
on 4/7/18 1:43 pm

Your gut is the best guide you can have! I had the same experience (and worries!) but really, your gut will tell you if something is wrong with your speed and volume. You won't damage your pouch taking fluids more quickly than the recommended speed. I think it's as slow as it is just to keep us cautious and aware that we're healing.

Best of luck, sounds like you're doing great!

oneatatime
on 4/8/18 4:54 am
RNY on 09/01/17

I totally agree. Let your gut be your guide. The only exception to this is when you get to puréed foods, your feeling of fullness won't be back yet, so you can easily overeat. Measure your portions. :)

But speed... be calm, go at a slow pace that feels right for you.

Success is not the key to happiness. Happiness is the key to success. Choose happy.

Opti -10 / M1 -25.5 / M2 -10 / M3 -14.5 / M4 -13 / M5 -10 / M6 -5.5 / M7 -9.5 / M8 -13.5 / M9 -0.5 / M10 -2.5 / M11 -2.5 / M12 +2 / M13 -5.5

Century Club and Onederland in month 7!!

Most Active
Recent Topics