22 grams protein, 0 fat

Harpediem
on 5/24/18 4:37 pm

went into my favourite butcher shop in Kingston today to pick up a chicken and some bacon. The shop, called Pig&Olive, is owned by a couple of ex-pat Australians. As I looked down into the freezer while waiting I saw a couple of kangaroo burgers. What ho! I said. This might be interesting. Two in a package for $13 seemed a little hefty, but since surgery I've been treating myself sometimes to more expensive food since I eat so little. Let me tell you it was delicious! So I looked it up online, and it turns out Australia is overrun by the critters, who face starving to death in annual droughts, so the country has started harvesting the little organically raised critters. So the meat has 22 grams protein for 100 grams meat (that's 3.5 ounces) 1 gram of fat, 1 gram of carbs and 1 gram sugar. Also very high in potassium and zinc. The same amount of beef has 20 grams fat and lamb has 40.

and we could only eat half of it because it's so protein dense so my husband and I get another meal out of it. Next stop crocodile?

Pauline

crqvingchange
on 5/24/18 6:06 pm

I've heard in the grocery stores in Australia they sell skippy steaks (kangaroo steaks).

CENTURY CLUB MEMBER at 6 months post-op.

Referral to Guelph Feb/13, Sleep study and all bloodwork and ultrasound May/13, orientation July/13. Nurse, NUT,SW Sept/13, 2nd NUT, nurse and SW, 3rd round and cleared for surgery Dec/13. Pre-op Apr 7/14, Surgeon May 2/14, Opti Jul 3/14, surgery Jul 17/14.

Squishy_in_the_middl
e

on 5/28/18 6:52 am

Kangaroo is widely available in Aussie grocery stores. They sell it both for human and furry friend consumption. I had it a couple of times while I was overseas visiting my GF and her husband. It was actually quite tasty don't on the BBQ.

I haven't seen it around my area (Hamilton) as of yet but I keep looking.

Orientation- May 2017, Pre nutrition class- Aug 2017, Blood work- Aug 2017. RPN meeting- Sept 2017. Dietician and Psychiatrist Dec 2017. Internist- Dec 2017. Meet the Surgeon Feb 20th 2018. VSG surgery march 17, 2018 with Dr. Gmora

Most Active
Recent Topics