Weight gain before Optifast/WLS

kamac
on 6/2/18 9:22 am
VSG on 07/09/18

I've finally been approved for surgery and have my pre-surgery class next week. I'm really excited and happy (and more than a little nervous) to move forward and start a new chapter in my life!

BUT...I'm also ashamed and upset with myself for having gained weight this past year, and it just dawned on me that it might put the kibosh on my surgery. Now I'm really anxious. Anyone have experience with this? I'm at Hotel Dieu in Kingston, although I'm having surgery in Toronto (haven't been told which hospital yet).

It's not an insignificant amount. Last time I was weighed at the hospital would have been late Feb 2017. I'm 24lbs heavier since then. I've just read some old posts of people worried about small weight gains (3-5lbs). Now I'm scared I might really be in trouble. At the beginning of all this, the hospital told me I didn't need to worry about losing weight before surgery. They didn't say anything about not being allowed to gain weight. But it stands to reason, right?

Should I ask about this at the pre-surgery class?

I'm not sure how soon after the pre-surgery class I'll be weighed again. I'm planning to stick to protein shakes right now to hopefully lose some weight before then.

(for background to this, to make a long story short, I screwed up and allowed myself to slip back into old food behaviours and choices, and stopped exercising regularly. A "hiccup" occurred in my assessment process last summer, causing a delay in the process towards surgery, and I got discouraged and upset. Not making excuses. It's all on me. Plus I think there was an element of "I'll never be able to eat this again, might as well enjoy it now" going on)

Kara
Highest Weight: 420; Opti Starting Weight: 395; Surgery Weight: 371;
Current Weight: 322.1; Goal Weight: 160

"Find things beautiful as much as you can, most people find too little beautiful."
-Vincent Van Gogh

oneatatime
on 6/2/18 1:25 pm
RNY on 09/01/17

Hey there. As an obese person who has a variety of reasons for gaining weight all through my life, I can sure relate to all the reasons you mentioned for your weight gain this past year. Here are a couple of my takes:

1- never be the one to bring it up. If they don't, then assume they don't care. Leave it alone, unless and until they address it.

2- if they address it, answer it like you answered it here. The thing I like best is you started by taking personal responsibility. Do that first. Then explain where you think you went wrong. Then explain how you've been trying to fix it since you became aware.

The reality is they mostly want people who want this, are willing to demonstrate that.

You got this!!

Success is not the key to happiness. Happiness is the key to success. Choose happy.

Opti -10 / M1 -25.5 / M2 -10 / M3 -14.5 / M4 -13 / M5 -10 / M6 -5.5 / M7 -9.5 / M8 -13.5 / M9 -0.5 / M10 -2.5 / M11 -2.5 / M12 +2 / M13 -5.5

Century Club and Onederland in month 7!!

kamac
on 6/3/18 7:44 am
VSG on 07/09/18

Thanks for the encouragement You're right, I won't bring it up with them. All I can do now is focus on getting my butt back in gear.

Kara
Highest Weight: 420; Opti Starting Weight: 395; Surgery Weight: 371;
Current Weight: 322.1; Goal Weight: 160

"Find things beautiful as much as you can, most people find too little beautiful."
-Vincent Van Gogh

Most Active
Recent Topics