Glycemic Index for Sweeteners

kamac
on 8/14/18 12:35 pm
VSG on 07/09/18

I came across this recently and thought I'd share the link:

http://www.sugar-and-sweetener-guide.com/glycemic-index-for- sweeteners.html

I think it's a handy guide for making informed choices at the grocery store.

Maltitol, the sugar alcohol found in most SF candies and many protein bars, has a pretty high GI of 35! So in addition to possible digestive issues, it may even cause a spike in blood sugar and induce cravings for sweets.

Also some interesting info near the bottom of the page:

"Studies have shown that insulin is secreted by the pancreas soon after the sweet taste is experienced on the tongue, whether the substance contains calories or not. The body is fooled by the zero calorie sweetener. It expects glucose to hit the bloodstream and it gets none. This may result in increased appetite soon after.

Some studies have indicated that zero calorie sweeteners do not help reduce weight, and this may explain the reason."

Before surgery, I weaned myself off Crystal Lite etc. because it gave me heartburn and I felt it was making my sweet-tooth worse. I came to love clear, plain, ice cold water.

Now, post-surgery, I find my water goes down easier with some Mio or whathaveyou. No heartburn, but then I do take a PPI since I'm sleeved. But I'm thinking of weaning myself off again, or at least switching to plain water in the evenings, since at 9pm every night my tummy starts gargling and my head starts insisting I'm starving to death and need to eat.

Kara
Highest Weight: 420; Opti Starting Weight: 395; Surgery Weight: 371;
Current Weight: 322.1; Goal Weight: 160

"Find things beautiful as much as you can, most people find too little beautiful."
-Vincent Van Gogh

crqvingchange
on 8/14/18 3:48 pm

This good to know. Thank you for sharing. I have seen on Youtube a video of 2 married doctors that test their blood sugar and blood ketone level after ingesting different sweeteners in coffee.

CENTURY CLUB MEMBER at 6 months post-op.

Referral to Guelph Feb/13, Sleep study and all bloodwork and ultrasound May/13, orientation July/13. Nurse, NUT,SW Sept/13, 2nd NUT, nurse and SW, 3rd round and cleared for surgery Dec/13. Pre-op Apr 7/14, Surgeon May 2/14, Opti Jul 3/14, surgery Jul 17/14.

kamac
on 8/15/18 10:28 am
VSG on 07/09/18

Oh, that sounds interesting. I'll have to look that up.

Kara

"Find things beautiful as much as you can, most people find too little beautiful."
-Vincent Van Gogh

Karen M.
on 8/14/18 5:07 pm - Mississauga, Canada

The "itol" products can also cause "unpleasant" bathroom visits. Not fun.

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

kamac
on 8/15/18 10:30 am
VSG on 07/09/18

I've read that about Maltitol (of the infamous SF gummy bear reviews on Amazon), but didn't realize it applied to all the "itols". Good to know!

Kara

-Vincent Van Gogh

Most Active
Recent Topics