vitamins!

staceycvd
on 8/20/18 11:39 am - Canada
RNY on 07/24/18

Hey everyone,

I'm currently taking the ProCare Health one a day bariatric chewable vitamins... and I just can't handle the taste lol

They are very expensive so if I can find something I can get locally, that would be fantastic... any suggestions??

1st Referral: May 31 2012 Orientation: July 17th 2012 Denied at Psych appointment

3rd Referral: June 2016 Orientation: August 2016 Got pregnant and discharged

4th Referral: October 2017 Orientation: April 2018 Pre-op: July 16th Surgery: July 24th!

HW: 281 SW: 269 CW:235.1 GW: ~150-160

crqvingchange
on 8/20/18 1:00 pm

I do the Costco Kirkland Prenatal. That is the vitamin that Guelph Centre told me to take (1 prenatal a day and add in additional separate vitamins if you are deficient - like low in Vit. D)

CENTURY CLUB MEMBER at 6 months post-op.

Referral to Guelph Feb/13, Sleep study and all bloodwork and ultrasound May/13, orientation July/13. Nurse, NUT,SW Sept/13, 2nd NUT, nurse and SW, 3rd round and cleared for surgery Dec/13. Pre-op Apr 7/14, Surgeon May 2/14, Opti Jul 3/14, surgery Jul 17/14.

JRo
on 8/21/18 6:02 am - Cobourg , Canada

I picked these up (Costco prenatal) as well for after I have surgery. They are way better price wise and I had no issues taking them while pregnant with my daughter - fyi my stomach used to turn on a dime while I was pregnant so I figured they will be good for after surgery too. TWH said 2 per day of any multivitamin.

If you are still looking at chewables, I think Centrum 50+ (Walmart) is recommended. But I haven't had it yet, so not sure about taste/chalkiness, etc.

~ j.

My Journey: Oct 2017 Referred to Ontario Bariatric Network by Family Doctor; Nov 2017 Received letter from Toronto Western; Jan 2018 Orientation @TWH; Mar 2018 Social Worker and Nurse Assessments (Telemedicine/Telehealth); Apr 2018 Nutrition Class @TWH; Jul 2018 Psychologist Assessment (Telemedicine/Telehealth); Aug 2018 Dietitian (Telemedicine/Telehealth); Jan 11 2019 Meet the Surgeon; March Scheduled surgery changed to Jan 29 2019 ( VSG )

linda11665
on 8/21/18 9:16 am - Ottawa, Canada

When was the last time you spoke to them? The Clinic in Guelph? Because you are three years out and you should not be taking prenatal vitamins. Your amino acids will be way too high, regardless of how low your any vitamins are.

Just wondering

Linda

Choose love, power, and acceptance instead of what we default to which is fear, dependence, and intolerance
crqvingchange
on 8/21/18 12:16 pm

I was at the Guelph Centre last month for my 4 year followup. The nurse talked at length about my vitamin regimen. She did not mention anything about stopping the prenatal, in fact she wanted to make sure I was still taking them. She asked if I was also supplementing Vit. D and I said no. She chastised me for not continuing to supplement this even though my last few sets of blood work were fine. I have my blood tested every 3 months and include all of the tests that the annual blood work has. My doctor feels that way we will catch anything early.

I also spoke at length with Nancy the nutritionist. She seemed pleased with my menus and said that sadly they have seen patients go back to their old way of eating and gain the weight back. Our visit was almost an hour and her and I talked about RMR and the effect of WLS on this.

Next month I will get blood work again. Can you please tell me what test I should add in regard to amino acids? I occasionally supplement with Omega 3's and perhaps I shouldn't be. I do consume MCT's in the form mostly of caprylic acid and sometimes lauric acid.

Referral to Guelph Feb/13, Sleep study and all bloodwork and ultrasound May/13, orientation July/13. Nurse, NUT,SW Sept/13, 2nd NUT, nurse and SW, 3rd round and cleared for surgery Dec/13. Pre-op Apr 7/14, Surgeon May 2/14, Opti Jul 3/14, surgery Jul 17/14.

VioletFemme
on 8/23/18 1:40 pm, edited 8/23/18 6:40 am - Greater Toronto Area, Canada

Slightly off topic, do your vitamin needs change the farther you are post surgery? Do you only take the pre-natal? Do you still take the calcium and other vitamins recommended? Is that when you're able to tolerate more food and variety of foods that your don't need take certain supplements?

Female 30s Canada
RNY January 4, 2019
I lost 100% of my excess weight.
Currently re-comping body/losing vanity pounds prior to plastics.

crqvingchange
on 8/23/18 2:04 pm

All the Centres seem to have different vitamin regimens. I try to adhere to what Guelph tells me to take every day. Your needs for extra vitamins will be dictated by your doctor, your Centre (for the followup period), but mostly by your blood work. My experience here tells me that Vitamin D, Vitamin B12 and Iron are common things that need to be supplemented. After surgery your innards are changed in a way that makes getting all of your vitamins and minerals from food difficult. Supplementation will be lifelong I am told. The tradeoff for getting a life filled with activity and not centred on food is worth it for me. Violet I hope that I was able to help with your question.

VioletFemme
on 8/24/18 6:25 am - Greater Toronto Area, Canada

I was just curious 'cause you don't take vitamin D supplements anymore.

Female 30s Canada
RNY January 4, 2019
I lost 100% of my excess weight.
Currently re-comping body/losing vanity pounds prior to plastics.

BattlecryForever
on 8/23/18 7:15 pm
On August 20, 2018 at 8:00 PM Pacific Time, crqvingchange wrote:

I do the Costco Kirkland Prenatal. That is the vitamin that Guelph Centre told me to take (1 prenatal a day and add in additional separate vitamins if you are deficient - like low in Vit. D)

I bought these but they are huge horse pills that I have to take with a spoonful of yogurt (I'm pre-op). How do you take them after surgery... just curious.

Most Active
Recent Topics