What kind of protein powder do you mix into soups?

luckylaura73
on 11/4/18 4:54 pm
RNY on 11/23/18

Hi everyone,

I am new to this forum. I went to orientation July 2017 & finally have a surgery date for RNY November 23rd.

I started my 3 weeks of Optifast & I hate it. I have tried all kinds of add ins but none of them make the terrible protein powder taste & smell go away.

Looking through the post op eating plans there is a lot of call outs to add 1tbsp of protein powder to 2 tbsps of soup. I am worried it will taste horrible. What protein powder goes into food well without modifying the taste too much? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Sunny2018
on 11/4/18 6:43 pm
RNY on 10/22/18

Hello LuckyLaura - I'm 2 weeks post surgery, so my Optifast days were only a couple of week's ago - I found the first 2 days the hardest, as I tried to figure out how to get the stuff down, as it was so thick! (I used 1 cup water and magic bullet to mix) and the taste not so good.

Eventually I changed it to 2 cups of water and bought a sports cup with mixing ball inside and just shake the heck out of it (make sure you close it well, as one time I did not and as I shook, it when all over my office at work - lol! )

Watering in down made it so much better (more mild taste), and then I was getting in more water too.

Also, make sure you get in all your water - I ended up constipated and it was bad. By the 5th day on Optifast I started adding 1-2 tsp of Benefibre to each Optifast right until my last one before surgery (check with nurse to confirm, if you do need it first- that's what I did).

Good luck!! Sunny.

luckylaura73
on 11/5/18 8:36 pm
RNY on 11/23/18

Thanks Sunny for your insights. I hope you are recovering well & off to the races with your weight loss journey.

I read A LOT of threads last night & came across a number of others that also said to add two cups of water & lots of ice. I have tried that today & have added a tsp of decaf Tasters Choice & I can actually get the shakes down which is a huge relief. I am still not able to take in 4 packs a day but I will really try tomorrow.

The hospital had all these recipes for adding SF Jello but I think that just made it worse personally.

As for water I am doing okay but could do better. In the first few days constipation is the opposite concern for me but it's nothing too alarming as I have always had IBS. :)

All the best on your journey. Reading all the threads last night gave me a renewed sense of excitement & encouragement. A few more weeks of liquid diets will totally be worth it in the near future.

Sunny2018
on 11/6/18 6:02 am
RNY on 10/22/18

Stick to the optifast, it is so worth it to make sure your liver is smaller and out of the way as much as possible - I had my 4th one when I was in pjs and chilling with TV (my previous 'reward' time of making it through the day and munching on chips and chocolate bar!)- just keep it in your hand, and sip, sip, sip.

All the best on your surgery - I was pretty nervous up to and including the day of, but just keep plugging along - its a new experience for everyone, and no one will have the exact same recovery. Just remember to ask questions, and when the nurse brings you medicine - ask what it is, and if you are to swallow or chew (they brought me one that was to chew, and I tried to swallow and it got stuck).

Also, nurses tend to not wake up if you finally fall asleep (when they come to give you pain medicine) - I found myself walking to nurses station a few times requesting my meds - and walk, walk, walk as soon as you can - I was doing laps all through the night, pushing my IV pole along - you get use to it!

Sunny

crqvingchange
on 11/5/18 4:09 am

Taste change after surgery, so you may be lucky and not mind the taste. Bulk Barn sells unflavoured whey protein powder. You can buy a little and see if you can handle it. DO NOT add whey protein powder to any liquid that is boiling, or boil it after adding the powder. It will curdle. Protein powder can be added to very warm liquids without curdling. Guelph has said in the past to add skim milk powder to boost the protein. I really hate the taste of skim milk powder.

CENTURY CLUB MEMBER at 6 months post-op.

Referral to Guelph Feb/13, Sleep study and all bloodwork and ultrasound May/13, orientation July/13. Nurse, NUT,SW Sept/13, 2nd NUT, nurse and SW, 3rd round and cleared for surgery Dec/13. Pre-op Apr 7/14, Surgeon May 2/14, Opti Jul 3/14, surgery Jul 17/14.

luckylaura73
on 11/5/18 8:37 pm
RNY on 11/23/18

Thanks for the advice

northernga1
on 11/5/18 7:46 am - Elliot Lake, Canada

you can also add skim milk powder to soups post op in the beginning for added protein. Not everyone likes unflavoured protein powder at the beginning taste buds change but i ordered mine from a canadian company and it was truly unflavoured. https://www.canadianprotein.com/100-whey-protein-isolate#/1-size-1_kg/20-flavour-unflavoured_unsweetened

Referral Feb 14 2014; Orientation July 30 2014; 1 on 1's Feb 17, 2015; Pre op May 27 2015; Surgery date June 16, 2015

luckylaura73
on 11/5/18 8:38 pm
RNY on 11/23/18

Thanks for the link. I have saved it for later.

SweetRide1
on 11/5/18 5:55 pm
RNY on 01/16/18

I added peppermint to my Optifast and found that it really helped with flavour. It also helped settle my stomach.

Referral - May 31/17; Orientation - June 15/17; First Appt Nurse - June 26/17; Bloodwork and ECG - June 27/17; Sleep Study - July 5/17; Dietician Appt - July 10/17; Counsellor Appt - July 10/17; Abdominal Ultrasound - July 10/17: Endoscopy/Colonoscopy - July 25/17; Second Dietician Appt - September 14/17; Internist Appt - October 2/17; Meet the Surgeon - November 21/17; Pre Surgery Nutrition Class - January 12/18; Surgery - January 16/18

luckylaura73
on 11/5/18 8:40 pm
RNY on 11/23/18

I am not a big mint fan but I can usually handle it if cold - hate hot peppermint tea.

I could use something to settle my stomach as I am in constant rumbles at this stage that is not hunger.

Most Active
Recent Topics