Went to Orientation - Need to meet with Surgeon before Proceeding

Julathomas
on 11/14/18 7:41 am

Hi there! I went to an orientation at TWH yesterday and received my first appointment, but it is with the surgeon! From what I understand from the orientation, they need to determine if I can even have the surgery. Has anyone started the process the same way? Other than morbidly obese, I am relatively healthy- no diabetes, high blood pressure etc. I'm 33yo with a BMI of 50. I had a total thyroidectomy due to enlarged thyroid and papillary cancer back in 2014, and have been regularly seeing my endocrinologist. I go to Dr. Wharton Medical Clinic and they say I'm a perfect candidate for bariatric surgery, as they referred me to the program. Any insight and advice is greatly appreciated!

Mellywog
on 11/14/18 11:16 am
RNY on 06/17/19

Hey, I just went to orientation last week at Humber River. We were told that our first appointment would be with the surgeon. Then we would get our trio appointments after meeting with the surgeon.

Seems like we are in the same boat. I also go to Wharton in (Burlington), I have no health issues but I am a bit older (40) with a 47 BMI.

KanataPhil
on 11/14/18 5:42 pm
RNY on 06/28/18

Had RnY in June 2018. I was refered Sept 2017. Had it done in Ottawa. It is a long journey and mine was quick. I already had CPAP machine, didn't smoke, didn't drink. My BMI was 50 upon referral. I was told by surgeon that they may not be able to do RnY because I carried most of my weight in gut and I am male 5'11" (i.e. tall). They only know once they get in there. I was told the reason was they sometimes don't have enough gut to reach the bypass, as such they would need to do the sleeve. The Gold Standard is RnY as it reduces quantity and absorption. I was stressed to I followed their instructions for the Optifast diet to the letter and they stretched it from 4 to 5 weeks. All was well and they were able to do RnY. I must admit it was a shock to hear I may be too overweight for weight loss surgery. All is well that ends well. I hit the goal weight of 240lbs last week (4 months post surgery). I am still losing nice and slow and hope I will continue to do so as many here speak of the bounce back after the 18-24 month honeymoon. I have realized that the surgery isn't the solution. Surgery will allow you to lose weight and adopt healthy eating and exercise habits. Without those, you can regain. Doing the regain education classes (4 of them) in a few weeks.... I have not done all of this to regain weight. I am determined to keep it off forever. I have nothing but admiration for those veterans who have succeeded in doing so. BTW, I had HBP, became pre-diabetic post referal and had sleep apnea not to mention hyperthyroid & gout. I am off all but half dose of HBP medication (was taking 3) and thyroid medication. Weight loss is a blessing but you have to go into to "eyes wide open". That is why the screening is so intense. Good luck.

RNY 28-Jun-2018, HW 372, SW 318, GW 240, CW 212

MichelleS61
on 11/15/18 8:52 am - Lindsay, Canada
RNY on 02/26/18

It depends on the program but it's not uncommon if you've had previous issues, they want to make sure the surgeon is willing to do the surgery if you pass all the other stuff, no sense having you go through all the hoops only to have the surgeon, say nope can't do because of "xyz".

Having said that, they've got tons of experience at TWH at it's probably just a formality.

57 - 6'0" - HW:288 SW:260 CW:185

TWH: Referral Aug. '16, Orientation - Nov. 30 '16, Surgeon Oct. 6 '17, Start Optifast Feb. 5'18 - Surgery Feb. 26'18

Opti -25; M1 -23; M2 -17; M3 -7; M4 -5; M5 -5; M6 -6; M7 -0; M8 -2; M9 -0; M10 -2; M11-0; M12-4;

Julathomas
on 11/15/18 1:54 pm

Thank you for this insight! Yes, at the end of the day I would rather ensure it is possible from the beginning than waste valuable resources and time to find out it can't happen at the end. I was excited to begin the regular process! Either way, I'm doing my best to be patient until my appointment in February, as well as improving my eating and lifestyle.

Most Active
Recent Topics