Duodenal Switch - What I learned

StevesGal
on 1/22/19 1:30 pm - Hamilton, Canada

I had an appointment with the Dietician yesterday, and what told that only Dr. Hong (St. Joe's Hamilton) does them in the entire Province of Ontario (Dr. Hong is my original surgeon). Also, he told me that not everyone is approved/eligible for the switch surgery, so we also discussed other options (like Saxenda, Contrave or their weekly in-house program).

He told me that the surgery is done in 2 steps: re-attachment to 'close to normal', and then after that heals, the DS, and that it takes about a year to get to the end of the process (I already knew this).

In the end, he gave me a booklet (which I have yet to read), some paperwork and registered me for the DS seminar in March. In the meantime, he did suggest that I contact my GP and look at starting the Saxenda or Contrave to at least start some weight loss. The weekly in-house program isn't possible for me due to work.

I'm still not convinced it is or isn't a good path for me, which is why I'm investigating it.

Beth

Former RNY patient revising to Sleeve then DS.
Appts: Dietitian - January 21/19; July 16/19, August 13/19, September 17/19, October 15/19; Social Worker: August 23/19; DS Orientation: March 20/19; Internist: September 30/19; Surgeon: November 13/19 (signed consent).
Surgery Date: February 28/20.

MY RNY DIDN'T FAIL ME - I FAILED IT.

MarinaGirl
on 1/23/19 5:39 am

I recommend you post any DS questions in the Duodenal Switch Forum. There are lots of vets that can help you with your research.

StevesGal
on 1/23/19 7:18 am - Hamilton, Canada

Thanks. I posted here out of habit.

Beth

Appts: Dietitian - January 21/19; July 16/19, August 13/19, September 17/19, October 15/19; Social Worker: August 23/19; DS Orientation: March 20/19; Internist: September 30/19; Surgeon: November 13/19 (signed consent).

Ginnny
on 1/23/19 5:59 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 04/11/16

Why is your RNY no longer working?

Over 100 lbs lost! and 13 lbs below goal weight!

StevesGal
on 1/23/19 7:22 am - Hamilton, Canada

Ginnny - Congrats on losing 100 lbs!!

My RNY worked fine - I, however, didn't. I put it like this --- It didn't fail me, I failed it. I fell off the wagon, dragged it into the woods, set fire to it and made S'mores ... and as a result, gained back most of what I'd lost. I've tried WW, but when they changed programs last year, I had a hard time sticking to it, and gained back what I'd lost with them and then some. I've been in discussions with Dr. Hong for a year about getting the DS, but life got in the way, so I had to put it off. But I'm back on track to seeing if this is a possibility for me. I've learned my lesson and will recommit - either by surgery or other means - to get this weight off and keep it off.

Beth

Ginnny
on 1/23/19 8:09 am, edited 1/23/19 12:10 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 04/11/16

Ginnny - Congrats on losing 100 lbs!!

My RNY worked fine - I, however, didn't. I put it like this --- It didn't fail me, I failed it. I fell off the wagon, dragged it into the woods, set fire to it and made S'mores ... and as a result, gained back most of what I'd lost. I've tried WW, but when they changed programs last year, I had a hard time sticking to it, and gained back what I'd lost with them and then some. I've been in discussions with Dr. Hong for a year about getting the DS, but life got in the way, so I had to put it off. But I'm back on track to seeing if this is a possibility for me. I've learned my lesson and will recommit - either by surgery or other means - to get this weight off and keep it off.

First off, thanks! It was tough work and maintaining is even tougher.

If your RNY didn't fail then I am confused on why/how they would consider a revision surgery. You can eat around any surgery out there. Why do you think you will be any more successful with a different type of surgery?

Have you tried going back to the way you were supposed to eat Post RNY? That is dense protein first, low carb veg, and limited amounts of fruit? 100+ oz of water and taking your vitamin supplements?

Can you not "recommit" to the tool you have already been given? Have you had any therapy since your RNY? It reads like you have some issues with food that you need to understand and learn how to handle.

I'm not an expert and I'm not trying to be mean but if you couldn't work the RNY tool I don't know how you will be successful with the DS.

I do wish you luck in accomplishing the goals you want!

Over 100 lbs lost! and 13 lbs below goal weight!

Gwen M.
on 1/23/19 10:03 am
VSG on 03/13/14

Well said. Unless there's an actual malfunction with a current surgery, why revise?

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Diminishing Dawn
on 1/23/19 8:12 pm - Windsor, Canada

Have you dealt with your food issues first?

17+ years post op RNY. first year blog here or My LongTimer blog. Tummy Tuck Dr. Matic 2014 -Ohip funded panni Windsor WLS support group.message me anytime!
HW:290 LW:139 RW: 167 CW: 139

mschwab
on 1/23/19 10:17 am
RNY on 11/21/14

First of all, let me say I am so sorry you are struggling with regain. I know how hard it can be to see a way out. The great thing is that you are clearly realistic about why the regain happened. Believe it or not, that is huge. I have to agree with what Ginny wrote above, and what you yourself said. The RNY did not fail, you failed the RNY.

I get it. I am struggling with a 20 pound regain and it is no fun. The good thing is that I know my RNY is fully functional, and if I follow the rules, it will do its job. The problem with trying to solve the problem with another surgery is that you take with you all of the things that made you regain with the RNY into the DS. Losing weight is easy in the first year. It is mostly the surgery. After that it is all you (or me, in my case).

So, my unsolicited advice to you is to work the tool you have. Go back to the basics. You know what they are. Don't try to do it alone. Seek help. Help from counselors, help from support groups, help from this site, help from supportive family and friends. Find the joy in the journey that you had when you first had your RNY. It's still there, lurking just below the surface.

You deserve to have the life you want, but it is up to you to do what it takes to get it. We are here to help you.

Height: 5'7".  HW: 299, Program starting weight: 290, SW: 238, CW 138 - 12 pounds under goal!  

Gina 21 Years Out
on 1/23/19 12:51 pm - Burleson, TX

The regain/relose/regain/relose struggle is REAL...BTDT...many of us have

You are not alone...

For ME, the only revisions I needed were BRAIN and HABITS...it took me a good 9 YEARS, after my RNY, to get my head in the game, and decide I WAS WORTH THE EFFORT...

A quote I love (it's not mine): "Work as AFTER surgery as you did to GET your surgery"

I'm going on 17 years post op now, with 8 of that at/under goal...

Happy to help you, any way we can

RNY 4-22-02...

LW: 6lb,10 oz SW:340lb GW:170lb CW:155

We Can Do Hard Things

Most Active
Recent Topics