Third day on Optifast

Shrnkin Butterfly
on 1/31/19 3:35 pm, edited 1/31/19 3:49 pm
RNY on 02/19/19

Hello everyone. On my third day. Had a headache the first day but it's now gone replaced with a lil bit of nausea but nothing overwhelming. Today my mouth is really dry despite drinking tons of water and my lips have a sticky feel and my mouth smells weird. Did anyone get this same symptoms? And is there a reason?

SweetRide1
on 1/31/19 3:49 pm
RNY on 01/16/18

keto flu! Google it. It happens when your body goes into ketosis.

It will pass. The first several days are the worst. On day two I was dry heaving, nauseous, had a blinding headache and was terribly concerned that I was not going to get through the Opti phase.

I took some gravol, drank water and only got 2 shakes in that day. By later that night I was feeling better and then by day 3 it was gone. I started putting peppermint extract into my shakes to help with my stomach. I found it helped.

When you are in ketosis bad breath is very much in evidence. I took a tooth brush and tooth paste to work with me and brushed and rinsed multiple times a day. It helped. I also had a bottle of mouthwash in my purse that I could pull out during the day to keep things fresh.

Referral - May 31/17; Orientation - June 15/17; First Appt Nurse - June 26/17; Bloodwork and ECG - June 27/17; Sleep Study - July 5/17; Dietician Appt - July 10/17; Counsellor Appt - July 10/17; Abdominal Ultrasound - July 10/17: Endoscopy/Colonoscopy - July 25/17; Second Dietician Appt - September 14/17; Internist Appt - October 2/17; Meet the Surgeon - November 21/17; Pre Surgery Nutrition Class - January 12/18; Surgery - January 16/18

wrkinprogress
on 2/1/19 7:54 am

I was on Opti for 4 weeks and luckily had no nausea and can't recall having any real headaches but ohhhhhh myyyyy DRY MOUTH all the way through! I drank water like crazy but the dry mouth was there throughout and especially at night. I'm 2 months post-op now and as long as I drink all my water I don't seem to have any issues so enjoy knowing that it's only temporary ;)

Best of luck! You are getting close

Shrnkin Butterfly
on 2/2/19 10:56 am
RNY on 02/19/19

Thanks for replying! Great to hear its only temporary. On day 5 today and no more headaches. Congratulations on your progress! ð?'ð?'ð?'

Most Active
Recent Topics