Bloating, Gas Pains at 1.5 year out

brynnd
on 2/12/19 4:27 pm

Hi all,

I am currently looking about five months pregnant due to bloating and gas. I've been burping a lot but the gas seems pretty trapped with regards to the other end. It's painful! It feels most similarly to when I was freshly post-op and filled with gas. This all started yesterday morning. I had two cups of coffee (like I usually do) and did indulge over an hour and a half in a very small muffin, small bits of fruit, and a very tiny square of pastry (a work breakfast meeting). I have arguably eaten more in a sitting since surgery and also recognize that it wasn't the best choice in a meal but we all have those days!

About three hours and two cups of water later, I suddenly began to feel super uncomfortable in my upper abdomen. I was bloating like crazy. And basically began to feel very uncomfortable to the point that my back began to hurt. I started burping a bit and tried to go to the washroom but... nothing.

Initially, I wasn't really concerned because I'm meant to get my period today (but it hasn't quite arrived yet) and the bloating is sometimes a symptom for me. However, it usually isn't so painful or long lasting.

I went and purchased gas-x chewables and took them. They seemed to help for a bit but when I ventured to have a cup of soup for dinner, the pain returned. I was able to drink black tea or water without much issue though.

I went to sleep eith with a heating pad on my belly and woke up burping a storm. But then felt way better. The bloat was mostly gone and so I grabbed a coffee on the way to work. Was totally fine for the entire morning and then ventured to have a bowl of soup at lunch-- bam the bloat is back and it hurts again. On the suggestion of a coworker, I go and buy some papaya enzyme. I take it and some gas-x and feel way way way better so, of course, I wait a few hours and venture to have a protein bar and suffffferrrrr once more.

I am tolerating clear fluids well. I have made a bowel movement but it was very small. I can hear the movement in my belly and burp often but fart very sparingly. But the bloating is horrible and painful.

I am really hesitant to go to the ER for this because it feels like I'll just be sent home with a "it is Gas" and told to relax. Or if when my period comes, I'll feel much better.

Afditioanlyl, I really don't want it to be anything more than gas because I'm leaving for Cuba on Saturday soooo... ah.

Has anyone else experienced this? Any tips? Suggestions? Reassurances? Please?

Monica9811
on 2/13/19 4:56 am - Peterborough, Canada

I'd call the surgeons office especially since you are going away. You want to be safe! Something is definitely not right.

SweetRide1
on 2/13/19 7:39 am
RNY on 01/16/18

Please go to ER and make sure it's an ER that knows about Bariatric Surgery.

There are multiple things that could be going on and it may, or may not, be related to Bariatrics, but what you are experiencing is not normal.

Right now you are self diagnosing. You could have a small blockage, a twist in your bowel is a common complication after Gastric Bypass (I had it).

Please go and have it checked and let us know the outcome. Better safe than sorry. You really don't want something bad to happen while on vacation. :)

Referral - May 31/17; Orientation - June 15/17; First Appt Nurse - June 26/17; Bloodwork and ECG - June 27/17; Sleep Study - July 5/17; Dietician Appt - July 10/17; Counsellor Appt - July 10/17; Abdominal Ultrasound - July 10/17: Endoscopy/Colonoscopy - July 25/17; Second Dietician Appt - September 14/17; Internist Appt - October 2/17; Meet the Surgeon - November 21/17; Pre Surgery Nutrition Class - January 12/18; Surgery - January 16/18

Most Active
Recent Topics