I'm going to be kicked out..

jjbright87
on 2/12/19 7:29 pm

I have finished everything pre meeting the surgeon, every one has signed off.

Tomorrow I see the doctor and go from there but I am freaking out.

I've lost 20lbs total since orientation in June.. but my last appointment was before Christmas, I had gained 3lbs.

The dietitian is the one who weighed me and she sternly told me that any more gain and I'd need to re refer when more committed.

I have messed up the past month, hello emotional eating, and off the wagon on my fluid restrictions. (I have heart failure and can lose/gain up to 10lns in a day depending on what I put in my mouth)

I'm up, quite a bit I think. I don't know what I'll do if they boot me. Can anyone offer similar experiences and outcomes? I have to go tomorrow afternoon.

jjbright87
on 2/13/19 2:49 am, edited 2/12/19 6:49 pm
SweetRide1
on 2/13/19 4:42 am
RNY on 01/16/18

So here's the thing....

It might be a good thing to defer surgery (not sure they would kick you out) to give you a opportunity to deal with your emotional eating issues. It's really important that you get a grip on that because the surgery is only a tool to help you. It's not going to fix your head.

Post surgery life is difficult. This is not the easy way to lose weight. The challenges remain. Head hunger and emotional eating don't disappear when we have the surgery. The struggle is real and if you truly want to cheat this surgery you can.

No matter what happens today, coming to terms with why you are eating is something you are going to have to deal with in order to be successful in the long term.

Hoping things work out today. :)

Referral - May 31/17; Orientation - June 15/17; First Appt Nurse - June 26/17; Bloodwork and ECG - June 27/17; Sleep Study - July 5/17; Dietician Appt - July 10/17; Counsellor Appt - July 10/17; Abdominal Ultrasound - July 10/17: Endoscopy/Colonoscopy - July 25/17; Second Dietician Appt - September 14/17; Internist Appt - October 2/17; Meet the Surgeon - November 21/17; Pre Surgery Nutrition Class - January 12/18; Surgery - January 16/18

lexxiblue
on 2/13/19 9:51 am
RNY on 01/11/12

Gotta agree with SweetRide... post surgery is extremely difficult.. especially maintenance. I was obese my entire life.. and given this amazing tool.. which in the past year due to emotional eating and struggling with too many personal issues and big changes.. and death... i have regained. i am dealing with it and it's not easy!!! be upfront and honest with the dietitian... and if they defer you.. maybe they can suggest someone who can help you with your emotional eating.. and whatever else is causing you to overeat... gotta get a grip on it now. this is just a tool you are given... not a magic wand to end our eating issues unfortunately.. good luck!!!

jayjen789
on 2/13/19 12:36 pm - Greater Toronto Area, , Canada
RNY on 12/12/18

I have heard that with so many folks wanting to have surgery, things have changed and the Trios team is being sterner to ensure that they approve the people that are ready. So it could be very likely that this is not a scare tactic...I definitely agree with SweetRide

SweetRide1
on 2/13/19 3:36 pm
RNY on 01/16/18

How did it go? Hoping you had good news. Let us know.

Referral - May 31/17; Orientation - June 15/17; First Appt Nurse - June 26/17; Bloodwork and ECG - June 27/17; Sleep Study - July 5/17; Dietician Appt - July 10/17; Counsellor Appt - July 10/17; Abdominal Ultrasound - July 10/17: Endoscopy/Colonoscopy - July 25/17; Second Dietician Appt - September 14/17; Internist Appt - October 2/17; Meet the Surgeon - November 21/17; Pre Surgery Nutrition Class - January 12/18; Surgery - January 16/18

Sunny2018
on 2/13/19 4:51 pm
RNY on 10/22/18

Hmmm, I guess every program is different. I was not required to lose weight prior to getting my surgery date. There is a reason we got to the weight we did...perhaps it depends on how much you have to lose? I have to lose about 135 lbs to get to weight goal - started at 300 lbs.

However, I'm really sorry you are feeling so bad - truthfully I spent the year leading up to my surgery enjoying all the things I knew were out for rest of my life - I even had a multi course Indian dinner the night before I started Optifast (I sort of felt like it was my last dinner, ever!)

However, once I started the Optifast (for 3 weeks) I did not cheat/stray once - Optifast and lots of water! If I was going to risk dying to get my weight under control, I was not going to screw this part up.

I am now 4 months post op - and working super hard to stay completely on program, which is for rest of my life; it actually feels really good.

Give yourself a break and be kind to yourself; worst case your surgery will be postponed - but be honest with them tomorrow and perhaps it will be okay! If you have to lose a certain amount of weight pre surgery, you can do it! Remember, it won't be like all the yo-yo dieting because you will lose the weight, have the surgery - which is to stop the yo-yo stuff and you will keep losing. Find things to motivate you - you so can do this!!

Good luck, Sunny

Most Active
Recent Topics