16 MONTH UPDATE

SweetRide1
on 5/19/19 6:30 am
RNY on 01/16/18

Good Morning Everyone,

I hope everyone is having a great Victoria Day Weekend. Today is going to be glorious so get out there and soak it in.

I thought I would check in with a little update.

TBH nothing much is going on these days. I made my goal weight in Dec/Jan. I can't remember exactly when. I was discharged from the Bariatric Program on January 16th, 2019 which was exactly 1 year to the day that I had surgery. Unfortunately I was in the 1 year program so now I'm on my own.

Things are good. I am wading my way through maintenance and holding my own. I gained about 3 lbs back which I am fine with. I'm up and down approx 3 lbs here and there but I'm maintaining.

I've had some odd blood work - high iron and high liver enzymes. They go hand in hand with each other so we are working on getting the iron down and then hopefully the liver enzymes will come down as well. I had an ultrasound so we know everything is actually OK. It's all a balancing act. We're changing up my supplements and figuring it out.

My family Doctor has been awesome. She's picked up the reins and is taking care of everything. She sent me to her Dietician who is "all over it". Love her.

I continue to go to Support Group Meetings at the hospital. I think it's incredibly important to take advantage of support. It's helped me get to where I am now and it also keeps me on the straight and narrow.

I have been extremely blessed on this journey. My team at Wharton was terrific, the team at St. Joe's has been terrific. My family and friends have been incredibly supportive. Then there is a group of ladies, who I am privileged to call my friends, that met here on OH that have been integral in my success.

There have been ups and downs. Emotional eating, head hunger etc., have all come calling. I've dealt with it and carry on.

Best decision of my life. :)

Referral - May 31/17; Orientation - June 15/17; First Appt Nurse - June 26/17; Bloodwork and ECG - June 27/17; Sleep Study - July 5/17; Dietician Appt - July 10/17; Counsellor Appt - July 10/17; Abdominal Ultrasound - July 10/17: Endoscopy/Colonoscopy - July 25/17; Second Dietician Appt - September 14/17; Internist Appt - October 2/17; Meet the Surgeon - November 21/17; Pre Surgery Nutrition Class - January 12/18; Surgery - January 16/18

selkiem
on 5/20/19 7:53 am

As someone who is waiting for her surgery (not far away now! June 11)- it is encouraging to hear stories like yours - with the good and the bad, the warnings, the struggles - thank you for sharing!

Sunny2018
on 5/21/19 3:48 pm
RNY on 10/22/18

Congrats on such great results after surgery; and thank you for sharing some of the challenges you have and are dealing with. I am still concerned that it changed from 5 years of follow up to just 1 year - seems like we just get abandoned by the program - probably when we really need the support to stay on track and adjust to life after major weight loss. As I'm sure the majority of us know and experienced, losing the weight is only 1/2 the journey - the other 1/2 is keeping it off.

I am my family doctor's first bariatric patient and so far is very supportive; listening to my concerns and adding other blood tests to confirm everything is fine - including ultrasound to check gallstone size (already existed prior to surgery). I will add iron and liver enzymes to watch.

We definitely must be our own advocate!

Again, well done and congratulations on your loss and maintaining!

Sunny

SweetRide1
on 5/22/19 2:40 am
RNY on 01/16/18

I cried when I left the discharge appointment and I absolutely felt abandoned. I still do.

My family doctor is tremendous, but my team at Wharton and St. Joes know so much more about this specifically that I get a bit worried not having them "have my back". Does that make sense?

I have always been able to lose weight. I have NEVER been able to keep it off. This is when I needed the program the most and now I don't have it. It makes me anxious to be completely honest.

But I am coping and I go to the hospital support group which really helps.

It's work - every day.

Referral - May 31/17; Orientation - June 15/17; First Appt Nurse - June 26/17; Bloodwork and ECG - June 27/17; Sleep Study - July 5/17; Dietician Appt - July 10/17; Counsellor Appt - July 10/17; Abdominal Ultrasound - July 10/17: Endoscopy/Colonoscopy - July 25/17; Second Dietician Appt - September 14/17; Internist Appt - October 2/17; Meet the Surgeon - November 21/17; Pre Surgery Nutrition Class - January 12/18; Surgery - January 16/18

shiney
on 5/22/19 2:44 pm

I can understand that it would hard to "technically"be out of the program. I'm so glad that you have engaged your doctor, the Wharton clinic and dietician to continue to provide you with the support you need.

Honestly, you're such a warm and giving contributor to this community - you have a community here to support you as well.

You're an inspiration!

*TWH* Referral - December 2017; Orientation - March 2018; SW Assessment - May 2018; Nurse Practitioner - June 2018; Nutrition Class - June 2018; Psych - August 2018; Dietitian - August 2018; Appt. w/ Surgeon - November 2018; Surgery date - January 2019

Weight loss

Pre-surgery: 14, M1: 18, M2: 9, M3: 8, M4: 10, M5:6 , M6:9

SweetRide1
on 5/23/19 5:56 am
RNY on 01/16/18

Oh my! That's so kind of you. Thank you.

selkiem
on 5/28/19 7:56 am

I learned at the nutrition appointment a while ago that they've cut back the support to one year from five. I am curious- who decided on the cut and who mandated it? It would be interesting to know. Like other commentators and the author here, I think as the years pass, MORE support is needed rather than less - as the initial euphoria wears off and the realities of our new body become commonplace. That is where I feel the psychological aspects really kick in. Thanks for the tips though - I too find this community warm and supportive!

Most Active
Recent Topics