First day of Opti,

Mellywog
on 6/3/19 9:29 am
RNY on 06/17/19

Today is my first day of Opti. I was not prepared for how nasty it is. I plugged my nose and tried to swallow.. I don't know how I am going to get through the next two weeks. Surgery is June 17th. Count down is on.

selkiem
on 6/3/19 4:03 pm

Hopefully this isn't a repeat - was typing a reply and the cat walked across my keyboard and it disappeared!

So, I sympathize - I'm just finishing the 7th day of my first week, one week to go! And yes, the Slimtime (which is what I am on)- is FOUL - especially the vanilla.

Are you on Slimtime or Optifast and where is your surgery?

I have found a compromise and tolerable way to drink the chocolate. I make a cup of instant (decaf) coffee and put in fridge until it's cold then mix with the chocolate powder, ice and cold water - becomes a sort of mocha drink not unlike a rather bad version of the Wendy's Frosty - it's definitely drinkable. I won't lie - can't do the vanilla - actually was making me throw up. I'm also not drinking the four a day - but more like a little less than three (I can seldom finish the last one - stomach just won't put up with it)-

I know each hospital has it's own rules - I am allowed broth (10 calories or less), sugarless jello and sugarless gum - all of which I'm using! They are GREAT and make this possible! I found a good Thai Chicken Broth (Campbells)- 10 calories per 2/3 a cup and I have that at lunch and dinner after my shake. I also found a lovely President's Choice one - which is Ramen Chicken Broth - 15 calories per cup so I measure 2/3 of a cup to keep it at 10. I have one of the other twice a day as I said.

Jello is great too - and having sugarless gum is a lifesaver!

I keep reminding myself this is probably the hardest part and before you know it, it will be over! This time next week I will be having my last shake as my surgery is June 11.

Good luck - you can do this!

Clara2019
on 6/3/19 8:59 pm
RNY on 05/01/19

My best experience with Optifast:

Vanilla is too sweet so I mix in blender with sugar-free orange drink crystals [e.g., crystal light etc] + 3/4 cup ice + drop of orange extract [and then imagine its a frozen orange creamsicle-type drink]

Chocolate, I have to add 3/4 cup ice & process in the blender -- the frozen drink consistency really makes it more tolerable for me; could also add sugar-free extracts or drink crystals

Caution: I tried mixing in a Vita Mix blender, but too much power = a lot of added air = gas.

I found a standard blender works best for me.

Mellywog
on 6/4/19 6:17 am
RNY on 06/17/19

Thank you for the tips.. I used ice for my second shake yesterday and it was definitely better then the first one! 13 more days

Mellywog
on 6/4/19 6:26 am
RNY on 06/17/19

Thank you.. and Congratulations on your first week!!!!

I am at Humber River hospital and my surgery is June 17th.

I have the chocolate opti. Yesterday I was only able to get two in. Today my goal is to get three in as I understand it is needed to get my liver into shape for surgery.

We are also allowed broth, sugar free jello and two cups of veggies (celery, cucumber, green pepper). I had the broth and one cup of veggies for dinner.

I am going to try your recipe tonight. I am not a coffee drinker but I would rather the taste of coffee then the natural awful after taste.

Just have to keep in my the end game.

Melissa

selkiem
on 6/4/19 6:59 am

You're a week after me!

There actually isn't a strong taste of coffee - more a "malty" taste - lucky you- allowed veggies LOL! I really like the Ramen broth (President's Choice)- it's warming and tasty - but you have to measure as 1 cup as I said is 15 calories - so 2/3 is 10.

I'm on Day 1 of Week 2 and it is better - so it does get a little easier (still can't do the vanilla).

Mellywog
on 6/4/19 1:22 pm
RNY on 06/17/19

Haha, so many people say that so I only bought chocolate!!

Mellywog
on 6/4/19 6:27 am
RNY on 06/17/19

Thank you.. and Congratulations on your first week!!!!

I am at Humber River hospital and my surgery is June 17th.

I have the chocolate opti. Yesterday I was only able to get two in. Today my goal is to get three in as I understand it is needed to get my liver into shape for surgery.

We are also allowed broth, sugar free jello and two cups of veggies (celery, cucumber, green pepper). I had the broth and one cup of veggies for dinner.

I am going to try your recipe tonight. I am not a coffee drinker but I would rather the taste of coffee then the natural awful after taste.

Just have to keep in my the end game.

Melissa

wrkinprogress
on 6/4/19 5:30 am

Heyyy Melly! Great to see you again and SO close to surgery. This is the last step before surgery so just make sure you do that Opti no matter how nasty you think it is.

I really didn't mind Opti... the chocolate was much better to me than the vanilla but i had 4 weeks of it so consider yourself blessed! My magic bullet got me through for sure.... as stated above use lots of ice and add sugar free flavorings (the salted caramel was my favorite)

You can do it girl! One shake at a time and soon you'll be enjoying that liquid diet ;)

Mellywog
on 6/4/19 6:41 am
RNY on 06/17/19

Hey girl! Yes it is nice to come back here and see some familiar people. Now that I am coming up for surgery, I will be here more often. I have booked 6 weeks of work! Can't wait.

Most Active
Recent Topics