Update! (17 months post op)

jenkh
on 8/19/19 4:31 pm
RNY on 03/12/18

Hey Everyone!

I wanted to pop in and say hello to everyone. You were such an amazing resource to me and I feel I should start popping back in to be the same as the new blood comes in.

Here comes a lot......

I hit my goal weight. It was an odd experience. Maybe since my goal weight was so close too 100lbs lost (it was at about 110) but it didn't hit the same way as 100lbs did And that's okay. The weird part of this journey is realizing the goals you thought would be meaningful sometimes just become a check on an app, and the things you never even dreamed (a salesperson grabbing a small for you to try on and it fits) become the things that really make your day/week/month.

I got back into the dating scene, its been fun and lovely as well as utterly heartbreaking. Which I guess is how it is for everyone, but I do find dating in a post op world is a different world. When I was bigger clearly I was big, if we were going to be intimate it didn't need to be spoken that the package under the clothes matches whats with clothes.

But right now as I'm sure a lot of us are at goal or close to, I have a lot of excess skin. So I can rock some pretty amazing outfits, but when I am naked - that doesn't match the image I can do with clothes at all. In fact it can be a bit shocking. So I learnt I still needed to be very honest about my journey early on. For some guys this was a deal breaker, for some they were really understanding. And some said they understood but ultimately couldn't deal with it. (hello ex boyfriend who just broke up with me after 3 months saying my skin was something that really bothered him and he couldn't get over it..... even though I had been very honest from day 1 and he knew I was planning plastic surgery in the future......OUCH....really ouch....as in this happened last week ouch)

Irony? I got approved for a small portion of my plastic surgeries 2 days later. And today I booked the first set of them. Am I better off without this guy - obviously. But does it hurt. OH YEAH.

But onto better things. This surgery is something I am doing for me, and the process took a solid 8 months to get to this point. I find the plastic surgery boards tend to focus more on the USA side of things so I wanted to stick with my Ontario people. I am getting a Pannicelectomy (FDL version) with Liposuction as well as a Breast Lift. OHIP is covering a very small portion but still very much appreciated. In the future I would like to do my thighs as well but they did not want me doing all of them at the same time.

I'm actually having the surgery at Humber River which is where I had my gastric. So I'll feel at home at least. The date is getting confirmed but I have 2 tentative dates booked. Oct 11 or Oct 23. I'm super excited/nervous. I'm doing this with Dr Romy Ahluwalia from Avenue Plastic Surgery. He is super nice and really encouraging about the results I will get.

Its a bit surreal as I still remember being at the very first orientation for my gastric and them talking about some people choosing to get plastics and I thought - wouldn't it be amazing to have lost so much weight that your considering that? And here I am - booked and ready.

Humber - Orientation : Sept 2016 - Meet the Surgeon: Nov 2017 - Nurse/Dietitian/SW - Jan 15 2018 - Internalist - Feb 7 2018 - Final Surgeon Appt: Feb 12 2018 - Optifast - Feb 26 2018 - Pre-Op Feb 27 2018 - Surgery: March 12 2018

Diminishing Dawn
on 8/19/19 5:48 pm - Windsor, Canada

Congrats on a great first year. Here's where the challenges will begin. Continue to rock it out :-) all the best for year 2.

17+ years post op RNY. first year blog here or My LongTimer blog. Tummy Tuck Dr. Matic 2014 -Ohip funded panni Windsor WLS support group.message me anytime!
HW:290 LW:139 RW: 167 CW: 139

Mellywog
on 8/20/19 6:45 am
RNY on 06/17/19

First off, congratulations for being such an amazing success! A year and a half from now I hope I am able to come on here and announce that I have reached my goal. I am only 2 months post op (Humber as well) at the moment but still in the stage of questioning every choice I make and wondering if I will ever get to goal.

I am glad that you clearly understand that you are better off without your ex. I would advice you to keep being honest and continue to take care of yourself. When you find the right man, skin will not matter to him.

What process did you go through to be able to get OHIP to cover some of the surgery? And if you don't mind sharing the amount you are paying and the amount OHIP will be covering.. just trying to plan how much money I need to start to shove under my matress.

jenkh
on 8/20/19 3:11 pm
RNY on 03/12/18

Thank you!

Ohip approved the very lowest part of my stomach. In the end they covered about $3000, but this surgery alone is still $15,000+ even after that coverage. And I was quoted I believe about $8000 for my thighs.

So yeah, start shoving under the mattress. For me I knew this was always going to be part of my journey, and to me is worth the cost. Which I by no means have easily, just to be clear. I'm giving up travelling for a while to save as well as got a loan.

The process started once I was close to goal weight. I got in touch with my MD *****ferred me to plastic surgeons (this way it was under the OHIP umbrella) I had my consult (covered) and discussed my goals/wants. They then submitted to Ohip and that took almost 5 months for the approval. It can apparently be quicker but my paperwork fell through the cracks on Ohip's side and we had to re apply.

Now I'm booked in under 2 months for the surgery.

Humber - Orientation : Sept 2016 - Meet the Surgeon: Nov 2017 - Nurse/Dietitian/SW - Jan 15 2018 - Internalist - Feb 7 2018 - Final Surgeon Appt: Feb 12 2018 - Optifast - Feb 26 2018 - Pre-Op Feb 27 2018 - Surgery: March 12 2018

RosieBelly
on 8/21/19 7:22 am

I hear you! Not only do I have that wobbly tummy to have to deal with I have not actually dated in about 7 years and am going for lunch on FRIDAY!!!! I am not considering the surgery at this time but if someone has a brand of nice panties that kind of tuck it all in I would appreciate the brand.

Good luck with the surgery super duper exciting

referred Jan 2016 intake May 2016 left programme returned June 2017 final pre-sx class Oct 2017 surgeon appt Oct 2017

Opti Wt Nov 4/17 226 lbs BMI 45 Sx Wt 212 lbs RNY surgery Nov 23/17 M1 -18 M2-9 M3-10 M4-8 M5-6 M6-7 M7-6 M8-3 M9-1(so far) Down to within one pound of my goal and 99 lbs down from my highest weight. I was not a fast loser but who cares as long as you get there! I know the newbies check the trackers and the signatures so although I kind of lost track of how the rest of the weight came off, you should know that it was not fast and furious but it was slow and steady!

current BMI 24.7 that, my friends, is NORMAL!!! Strong is the new pretty!

jenkh
on 8/21/19 7:03 pm
RNY on 03/12/18

I have no brand. I tend to wear bike shorts as they tend to spanx me in without being as suffocating.

Good luck on friday!! Have fun!!!! First dates are always the most nerve wracking yet usually some of the most fun.

Most Active
Recent Topics