Optifast diet

fernando0810
on 9/8/19 1:26 am
VSG on 09/16/19

I have been on the optifast 900 diet since the 7th and the first few days were not so bad other than some side effects but i have had three occasions where i did not stick to the diet and ended up going out and buying food and i feel like i've let myself down that i could not stick to this diet. Has anybody else come across this situation in their experience and would this effect the surgery in anyway?

Mellywog
on 9/9/19 6:52 am, edited 9/9/19 2:09 am
RNY on 06/17/19

Optifast is meant to shrink your liver to give room for the doctor to operate on your stomach safely. It could be bad if the doctor opens you up and he can't complete you surgery because you didn't stick to the opti. I would be honest and talk to your doctor and let him know what has happened, for your own safety.

I have heard of people having a bite of something here and there without having any issues but I don't know of anyone that had whole meals. Please talk to your doctor.

fernando0810
on 9/9/19 3:16 pm
VSG on 09/16/19

well to clairfy i did the the 4 optifast packets each day but also ate stuff thats not on the list like wrap first time then snack from 711 then caesar salad the second time after that i stuck to the diet eating only greens and optifast and water

Clara2019
on 9/9/19 6:49 pm
RNY on 05/01/19

Hi

I too had a slip and talked to the hospital dietitian about it. She suggested I refocus and do the best I could. Physical hunger led to the slip. I have no idea why hunger rages, then days like today I am not hungry at all. So frustrating.

Getting down on yourself isn't helpful. If I may be so bold as to suggest you look at this as a learning opportunity and determine why you had the slip. If it wasn't physical hunger but emotional eating that may be something you want to examine more closely.

fernando0810
on 9/9/19 6:54 pm
VSG on 09/16/19

yea it just would suck if it would affect my surgery that is next monday then all this effort down the drain because of my poor decision

(deactivated member)
on 9/10/19 7:25 pm
VSG on 03/21/19

Don't beat yourself up about it but going forward its important that you 100% follow the diet. Looks like you have 5 days before surgery so make these days count and follow the plan. Good luck to you.

Most Active
Recent Topics