Tips & tricks for getting back on track?

Jbax
on 12/1/19 7:12 pm
RNY on 02/04/19

I'm 9 months post-op VSG. I've lost 70 lbs from a high about 350.

Who has ideas to get back on track? I'm getting distracted by things I can eat and not focused enough on protein and water and fueling my body.

TIA.

Leslie W.
on 12/3/19 2:19 pm - Cobourg, Canada

Seeing that you are not too far out have you thought about reaching out to your program Dietitian? They are a great resource as well as other team members. Do you go to a local support group they are a wealth of info too.

Try using a stop watch or alarm to remind you to drink. Always keep water and a protein drink with you. I'm an RNYer but we all face the same issues. You can do this. Reach out to your resources.

Referral: August 2010 Orientation TWH: May 25, 2011  NP: June 8/11, f/u sleep clinic June 7, abd u/s June 14, SW: June 28/11  Nutrition Class: July 5/11, Dietician Aug 09, Psychologist Aug 25 Surgeon Sept 16th Surgery Date: Oct 11/11 HW:287, Opti wt: 260 SW: 242
My Angel is Sheri TK   
Diminishing Dawn
on 12/4/19 5:10 pm - Windsor, Canada

Struggling? Give yourself some grace.

You are human. Begin again and take out your program that you were given from your program.

Look at it and live it again. Throw all the processed stuff out, focus on protein first again and vegetables second.

Use myfitnesspal and make yourself accountable again. We often think that we aren't eating much when we actually are once we make ourselves accountable for every lick, bite and taste.

Go back to your support group meetings if you have one.

Don't hesitate to call your centre and see who you need to see --- dietician, social workers etc.

We are all different. If you have an eating disorder then look into therapy.

Most of the time though we need to go back to the habits that helped us lose the weight. We slack over time and go back to our old ways.

If you need a support group like weigh****chers or TOPS try that. Use your wls support group too! That's what it is for!

Look for programs from your nearby eating disorder place, mental health has programming too and health units.

Try new things. You never know what will motivate you. The important part is to KEEP TRYING.

Be honest. Talk about it. In support groups too. The honesty with yourself and others is important. You are not perfect and you don't have to be.

The more we share when we are struggling the more we can support one another. Find mentors.

Remember too that keeping off anymore can be just as important as losing.

I'm 13 years plus out and there can be times that I struggle too. "Moderation" is very tricky for many of us and doesn't come innately. It's a struggle and sometimes it's day by day. I have talked about this at bariatric conferences and a video discussing this. This is hard long term.

Remember you are not alone. There is no shame in struggling. The reality is that the longer you are out, the more challenging it is. Remember -You are worth the struggle. Be kind to yourself.

Remember : whole foods. Protein first! Real food NOT processed.

I've lost 22 of my 27 lbs of regain.

Know that today is a new day worth of starting anew. You can do this!

17+ years post op RNY. first year blog here or My LongTimer blog. Tummy Tuck Dr. Matic 2014 -Ohip funded panni Windsor WLS support group.message me anytime!
HW:290 LW:139 RW: 167 CW: 139

Lucile777
on 12/29/19 6:33 pm

Great post, Dawn! I am Exactly up 27 lbs from my lowest as well. Currently 188. I will have to do the Protein first! Real food NOT processed.

RNY Oct. 27/17. HW 289; SW 285; GW 144; LW: 161 CW: 196 FML: Fighting regain :(

SweetRide1
on 12/8/19 12:54 pm
RNY on 01/16/18

Back to basics.

Start tracking again if you have stopped. If you never have, I would suggest you give it a try. It is so frightening how much one can eat when we don't track.

Start planning your meals. Have a plan.

Meal Prep. Have food available and ready to go. It's a godsend for me.

One day at a time. Don't get overwhelmed. Fix one thing first then move on to the next.

You can do it!

Referral - May 31/17; Orientation - June 15/17; First Appt Nurse - June 26/17; Bloodwork and ECG - June 27/17; Sleep Study - July 5/17; Dietician Appt - July 10/17; Counsellor Appt - July 10/17; Abdominal Ultrasound - July 10/17: Endoscopy/Colonoscopy - July 25/17; Second Dietician Appt - September 14/17; Internist Appt - October 2/17; Meet the Surgeon - November 21/17; Pre Surgery Nutrition Class - January 12/18; Surgery - January 16/18

Most Active
Recent Topics