"Second Stomach" Pouch Weight Loss Question

Freewheeler
on 2/17/20 7:03 pm

Greetings,

I am sure most of you know what I mean by second stomach - the large pouch of skin that grows under your actual stomach as you have gained weight usually requiring a panniculectomy at some point.

For those that have lost the weight or are losing the weight, have you found that the pouch shrinks a bit or as you have lost the weight, it just hangs down even lower.

I am asking because I have a very large pouch under my stomach - it is pretty much already covering my bits to the point that I have to lift it to go to the bathroom, so I just can't imagine this thing hanging down to my knees as I start dropping the weight. I am hoping it moves a little more inward and not further down.

I have been told by my surgeon that I need to lose a certain amount of weight before they could do any surgery, so while I know there will be hanging skin in general, I am hoping that some people here have had some good experiences at the very least with second stomach pouch shrinking a bit.

Any feedback or advice would be appreciated.

Thank you.

AC

Leslie W.
on 2/25/20 2:21 pm - Cobourg, Canada

It is really the panni you are referring too not a 'second stomach" You want to be at you goal weight or close to it and be a stable weight for at least 6 months. Most PS wont touch you earlier. Think of why pay only to have redone. Don't be too eager if still losing weight. If in Ontario OHIP may cover panni but be cautious if just going for panni as most don't like results. I use Uscupt in Vaughan for all my procedures but TT is very reasonable. Just 3 weeks post lipo and looking for next procedure

Referral: August 2010 Orientation TWH: May 25, 2011  NP: June 8/11, f/u sleep clinic June 7, abd u/s June 14, SW: June 28/11  Nutrition Class: July 5/11, Dietician Aug 09, Psychologist Aug 25 Surgeon Sept 16th Surgery Date: Oct 11/11 HW:287, Opti wt: 260 SW: 242
My Angel is Sheri TK   
Freewheeler
on 2/25/20 5:16 pm
On February 25, 2020 at 10:21 PM Pacific Time, Leslie W. wrote:

It is really the panni you are referring too not a 'second stomach" You want to be at you goal weight or close to it and be a stable weight for at least 6 months. Most PS wont touch you earlier. Think of why pay only to have redone. Don't be too eager if still losing weight. If in Ontario OHIP may cover panni but be cautious if just going for panni as most don't like results. I use Uscupt in Vaughan for all my procedures but TT is very reasonable. Just 3 weeks post lipo and looking for next procedure

Hey Leslie,

Thanks for responding. I was kind of surprised that this topic had so many views - but no responses, especially considering it's such a common problem with obese people.

Yes, I know it's not a "second stomach" - my wife calls it that and so do I just as a sort of nickname.

I have already been to a surgeon and was told the same thing. It is covered though where I live, so I won't have to pay when the time comes. This surgeon has been highly recommended and I gotten feedback from past patients.

My concern was more the panni hanging down lower as the weight loss occurs. Did you have that problem or do the panni kind of shrink/go inward. It is already covering my bits to be frank, so I don't want it hanging to my knees.

If you have had your hanging skin from your arms and legs done - how much did that cost you?

Thanks again,

Adam

Leslie W.
on 2/25/20 5:48 pm - Cobourg, Canada

Unfortunately the panni does not shrink. Had all my body contouring done at USculpt in Vaughan. Had my arms and legs done there too. Dr. Nandagopal and Dr. Al-Habib are wonderful. They are in Vaughan. Check out their website.

While I get that hanging skin is hard to deal with if you can wait till close or at goal and at a stable weight your results will be the best. If you have lost a lot they may able to remove pannus then go back for revision. For me I waited till stable then went for TT. It cost me around 7500. Check out Usculpt. Go for a few consults then make your decision. Good luck in your journey

Referral: August 2010 Orientation TWH: May 25, 2011  NP: June 8/11, f/u sleep clinic June 7, abd u/s June 14, SW: June 28/11  Nutrition Class: July 5/11, Dietician Aug 09, Psychologist Aug 25 Surgeon Sept 16th Surgery Date: Oct 11/11 HW:287, Opti wt: 260 SW: 242
My Angel is Sheri TK   
Meggles07
on 2/29/20 6:19 pm - Canada

I feel like as I lost weight my panni shrunk in a bit proportionately. I don't feel it's any lower... I'm five years post-op and didn't plan to have it removed because we wanted to have kids. I've had two babies and I think it looks exactly the same as it always has, just less heavy. The way I'm shaped I don't think I would be happy with just the panni removal, but maybe some day I will get something done.

I've heard that in Ontario even though OHIP will cover the panniculectomy that none of the plastic surgeons will do just the panni -- you need to upgrade to a TT. Who knows though since things seem to change all the time :)

Most Active
Recent Topics