Acid Reflux & Lump in throat

Lisa321
on 3/20/20 7:53 pm, edited 3/20/20 7:55 pm - Barrie, Canada

Hey everyone, i haven't been on here in a long time but need some input. For the past few weeks, I've had acid reflux really bad. It gives me an odd feeling in my stomach and then feels like fluttering in my chest. I can feel it burning in the back of my throat, along with a lump that I can't seem to swallow down and in my stomach. It causes me anxiety. I've been for a scope and xrays and they said they can't find anything. I'm down to just liquids because anything I eat causes these feelings everytime. I'm also on Dexilant and was on Pantrozole (spelling) but it doesn't seem to be working. Anyone else go through this? If so, what did you do to fix it?

Lorie (Arpeggia) is my Angel - Thank you!

RNY - Nov. 16/09
Panni - Sept 20/12

Meggles07
on 3/22/20 2:07 am - Canada

Have you always had the reflux or is that new? I've had a recurring ulcer and take prevacid (a PPI like your two meds listed) as well as sucralfate (four times a day). When they did the scope did they find any inflammation in your pouch/stomach lining? Could they do an ultrasound on your neck to see if there is something physically going on? Maybe thyroid or lymph nodes? Have you changed anything in your routine? New meds? Different foods?

I know that's a lot of different questions... But from what I've experienced there are many bariatric and non-bariatric issues that can affect us and our pouches :)

Lisa321
on 3/22/20 7:34 am - Barrie, Canada

Hi Meggles, thanks for your reply. I've been having the reflux since fall of last year. I've had the ultrasound of my throat, nothing wrong with my thyroid nor lymph nodes, I've had a CT, many chest xrays and the scope showed no ulcer and no hernia, they said. The doc actually didnt tell me, it was the nurse and she didnt mention inflammation at all. When I google my symptoms (I know I shouldnt) it points to a sliding hiatal hernia but scope didnt show it.

RNY - Nov. 16/09
Panni - Sept 20/12

Meggles07
on 3/22/20 7:43 am - Canada

I wonder if I hiatal hernia would be harder to see because of bariatric surgery since the pouch is smaller than a regular stomach. I know you had your surgery several years ago but were you able to get an appointment with your original surgeon or another surgeon that performs bariatric surgery? I'm wondering if they might have more insight and be willing to look more closely for a hernia...

I went to a general surgeon (non-bariatric) and they gave me two options -- scope or exploratory laparotomy. I opted for the scope first since it was less invasive, but we would have done it if they hadn't found the ulcer.

Now I'm having something else which the bariatric surgeon thinks is gallbladder attacks so I'm waiting for an ultrasound and probably surgery to remove it. I'm glad I was able to speak with him because he seemed to have more bariatric specific knowledge.

I hope someone can figure out what's going on with you because that sounds very uncomfortable...

Lisa321
on 3/22/20 8:03 am, edited 3/22/20 1:04 am - Barrie, Canada

I had my surgery in Michigan but I've been going to the Bariatric Clinic in Hamilton and seeing Dr. Chetty. He sent me to St Joe's to have a scope done and the bariatric surgeons there have done the tests. From what I read, with a sliding hernia, the stomach could have been "down" where it belongs during the scope and would have been missed. It needs to be "up" in the esophagus to be seen during a scope. I don't feel like the docs at St Joe's are taking this seriously.

I've had my gallbladder out 20 years ago, I know how painful it can be. I hope you feel better soon.

RNY - Nov. 16/09
Panni - Sept 20/12

White Dove
on 4/19/20 9:16 am - Warren, OH

I have been on all of the prescriptions. GERD is miserable. I take one teaspoon of baking soda in 8 ounces of water and sip until it is gone. It is the old-fashioned way but works for me.

Baking soda is an alkaline and it neutralizes the acid.

Must cheaper and safer than the prescriptin medicines.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Most Active
Recent Topics