I Started my First Steps to Surgery

Drex
on 5/15/20 6:03 am

Hi all, I am in the Ottawa area and have struggled with weight my entire life. I was able to get quite thin for a while on my own and ended up gaining it all back over a 15 year period leading up to today, where I am now a few pounds heavier than I was 15 years ago...still, that's 15 years I wasn't this heavy ( 330lbs )

I am pretty fortunate and haven't had any health issues yet, I have a loving/supportive spouse and a good job where I can take time if needed. About a year ago I decided I needed to get help with this struggle. I was referred to BMI in Ottawa which was great. I learned some things and lost a little weight, but not much. After a lot of discussions, they put me on Saxenda which helped a little. I was told the next step was surgery. I finished with the program a couple months ago and have since run out of Saxenda, but not renewed my membership there given COVID. Since I stopped Saxenda, I shot back up to weigh a little more than I did when I started. Sitting at home all the time doesn't help here!

Anyways, I called my regular doctor and told him about me experience at BMI and such and he has referred me for Bariatric Surgery now. I feel excited, I feel scared and I feel a little sad...funny. He mentioned bloody work and a sleep study, but because Dr Freedhoff had assessed me and said he didn't think I had a problem there, I might not need it? I have no idea what to expect now. Wait times I imagine are unknown territory right now with everything closed for the last 2 months. I suppose my main question is what should I expect to happen in both the short and long term?

Most Active
Recent Topics