Starting my journey

meontheweb
on 1/13/21 2:20 pm - New Westminster, BC, Canada

Posting here as the BC forum seems to be "dead".

So heard from my endo the other day, the doctor running the program here in BC (Richmond, BC) has been trying to get a hold of me.

So now the real decision comes - do I go for it, or not?

My family is totally against it - partly because of the risks (I am Type 2 Diabetic) and of course COVID. The hospital where it would be done at has not had any exposures or outbreaks (as far as I know) but if I go for it, I go at it alone as they won't let my wife in the hospital.

So now I'm waiting patiently to hear back from the doctors office.

Leslie W.
on 1/13/21 3:23 pm - Cobourg, Canada

Not much happening on the Ontario forum either.

I'm 9yr+ from RNY. When I had my surgery sent hubby home till I called him to pick me up. You'll be fine on your own. Have no regrets at all. Lost 160 lbs to my lowest but was too small. Had regain about 20lbs over the years but sit at size 10-12. Its good for me. Only issues I had were about year 2 had reactive hypoglycemia which is very common where blood sugar drops for no reason. Just keep sugar tabs (Dex 4) with me (grape was my fave). It settle down over the year. I do get iron infusions about once a year but no biggy. My goals when had surgery was better health. left hospital on no BP meds. Off CPAP within 6 months. Normal cholesterol and no joint pains.

Before sugar start making positive changes i.e. cut out the crap food, cut out pop. Eat 3 meals a day. Try not drinking with meals and at least 30 min after. Have absolutely no regrets at all.

Good luck

Referral: August 2010 Orientation TWH: May 25, 2011  NP: June 8/11, f/u sleep clinic June 7, abd u/s June 14, SW: June 28/11  Nutrition Class: July 5/11, Dietician Aug 09, Psychologist Aug 25 Surgeon Sept 16th Surgery Date: Oct 11/11 HW:287, Opti wt: 260 SW: 242
My Angel is Sheri TK   
lexxiblue
on 1/16/21 5:37 pm
RNY on 01/11/12

Hello Leslie from Cobourg... Deb (Lexxi) from Belleville here.. via Hamilton! Had surgery in Hamilton in 2012!!! Just saying hi!!

Take care of you & stay safe!

lexxiblue
on 1/15/21 10:15 am
RNY on 01/11/12

I too just had my 9yr surgiversary... Jan 11, 2012 - got off of 9 out of 11 pills, got rid of my cpap machine.. was type 2 diabetic. Lost more than half my body weight! DIDN'T lose any hair luckily! BUT took biotin a year before surgery!

Try to educate yourself as much as possible! Join many support groups - check out facebook! Outweigh the pros and cons!! Think about your future. You will get healthier!!! and thinner... but my goal was to get healthier!! Sure it's nice to wear smaller sized clothing but I can now move and run and breathe better! And who knows where I would be today if I stayed on the wrong side of the road. You probably won't be in the hospital long and will appreciate the time to yourself!

Just keep thinking about why you started your journey!! You will find the answer BUT ... you can always change your mind.. some have even before they were wheeled into the O/R. It's your life... it's your decision!

The only regret I have is not doing it sooner!!

Good luck!!!

Leslie W.
on 1/17/21 6:53 pm - Cobourg, Canada

Hi Lexi!

think 've seen your post on some of the face book post. I'm 9 years post RNY and loving life. Not to say I don't have some issue. Going for iron infusion tomorrow (third one this month). I least its only once a year now

Referral: August 2010 Orientation TWH: May 25, 2011  NP: June 8/11, f/u sleep clinic June 7, abd u/s June 14, SW: June 28/11  Nutrition Class: July 5/11, Dietician Aug 09, Psychologist Aug 25 Surgeon Sept 16th Surgery Date: Oct 11/11 HW:287, Opti wt: 260 SW: 242
My Angel is Sheri TK   
Most Active
Recent Topics