Recent Posts

SweetRide1
on 11/14/18 4:13 am
RNY on 01/16/18
Topic: RE: Referral Today - So Many Questions!

Welcome and Congratulations!

Wait times vary from centre to centre and person to person based on a number of factors. A lot of tests are required prior to surgery and sometimes stuff shows up in those tests. I know of someone who had H Pylori and it took 6 months and various treatments to clear up the infection. This put the person 6 months behind. Sometimes low iron counts have to rectified prior to surgery. Also nutritional issues that show up in your blood work may need some help.

You also have to meet with a social worker/counseller to determine if you are stable and a determination is made as to whether they think you are capable of handling the surgery and all that comes later.

You need to change your habits and start building new ones. This is probably one of the hardest things for people to do. You can't change something like this overnight. You need time.

As for which surgery you will receive, that is something that is determined by the surgeon based on results from all of your tests. Your liver size is a major reason some people have to have a sleeve. Roux en Y surgery is the gold standard and the first surgery that is recommended and the preferred surgery for OHIP.

VSG is considered for people who may have a large liver and the surgeon can't get to your stomach because of that. It's also for people who have to take NSAIDS for certain conditions. It's also used as the first step in a 2 step DS. You will sign consent for both the Roux En Y and VSG surgeries. If you have GERD then VSG is not for you. Heartburn is worse with VSG. My GERD totally resolved with Roux En Y.

Hope this helps.

Referral - May 31/17; Orientation - June 15/17; First Appt Nurse - June 26/17; Bloodwork and ECG - June 27/17; Sleep Study - July 5/17; Dietician Appt - July 10/17; Counsellor Appt - July 10/17; Abdominal Ultrasound - July 10/17: Endoscopy/Colonoscopy - July 25/17; Second Dietician Appt - September 14/17; Internist Appt - October 2/17; Meet the Surgeon - November 21/17; Pre Surgery Nutrition Class - January 12/18; Surgery - January 16/18

L C.
on 11/13/18 8:00 pm
Lucile777
on 11/13/18 7:25 pm
Topic: RE: Clinic wait times (Toronto/Hamilton)

Whoa... at first they had cut it down to 2 years. Now it's 1? That's horrible!

RNY Oct. 27/17. HW 289; SW 285; GW 144; LW: 161 CW: 196 FML: Fighting regain :(

KanataPhil
on 11/13/18 6:41 pm
RNY on 06/28/18
Topic: RE: Flu shot

I had mine last week. No issues. I have never had any adverse effects. Just a little tenderness in muscle where shot was given.

RNY 28-Jun-2018, HW 372, SW 318, GW 240, CW 212

Sairene
on 11/13/18 6:35 pm
Topic: Referral Today - So Many Questions!

I had my referral sent in today, (which for some reason was super nerve wracking for me). My Dr. gave me a print out of the information submitted, and it says Toronto Western Hospital is my center. I've seen that TWH has super long wait times... is that the norm? I'm about a year and a half away from starting a very stressful and time consuming career, and it's one of the reasons I've committed to surgery now. I'm really hoping that TWH doesn't have a normal 2 yr wait time.

I've also seen from other posts that the surgeon is the one who decides what kind of surgery you get. Do they ever consult you, you know... go through the pros and cons for each one, the effects, etc. and allow you to have some input on the type you want. I kind of had my heart set on VSG, and the idea of re-routing my intestines scares the bejeezus out of me.

Anyway, thanks in advance for any help or feedback. Really happy I found this forum!

VioletFemme
on 11/13/18 4:48 pm - Greater Toronto Area, Canada
Topic: How to Fund Plastic Surgery in Canada

Are there medical loan companies in Canada? Anyone have experiences with them?

Female 30s Canada
RNY January 4, 2019
I lost 100% of my excess weight.
Currently re-comping body/losing vanity pounds prior to plastics.

VioletFemme
on 11/13/18 4:37 pm - Greater Toronto Area, Canada
Topic: RE: Date with the surgeon

What is a pre-op surgery class?

Female 30s Canada
RNY January 4, 2019

SweetRide1
on 11/13/18 4:21 pm
RNY on 01/16/18
Topic: RE: Clinic wait times (Toronto/Hamilton)

I was really lucky. I came through the Wharton Clinic. I thought it would be a year to a year and a half, but I had surgery 7 months after being referred.

I was referred May 31/17 and had surgery Jan 16/18.

I called all the time for cancellations. I booked multiple tests on one day. I worked really hard to make sure that I did everything they asked. I also followed up on all my results. If it hadn't been sent, I showed up, got a hard copy and delivered it to the clinic. I left nothing to chance.

I advocated for myself. I showed up at the booking desk to book my surgery when I went a month without hearing from them. I was pretty much in everyone's face.

If you keep on top of it and get hands on, you will probably be able to get to surgery sooner than you think.

Referral - May 31/17; Orientation - June 15/17; First Appt Nurse - June 26/17; Bloodwork and ECG - June 27/17; Sleep Study - July 5/17; Dietician Appt - July 10/17; Counsellor Appt - July 10/17; Abdominal Ultrasound - July 10/17: Endoscopy/Colonoscopy - July 25/17; Second Dietician Appt - September 14/17; Internist Appt - October 2/17; Meet the Surgeon - November 21/17; Pre Surgery Nutrition Class - January 12/18; Surgery - January 16/18

VioletFemme
on 11/13/18 4:20 pm - Greater Toronto Area, Canada
Topic: Holiday Optifast Recipes

I'm going to be doing my pre-surgery fast December 21 to January 3rd (Jan 4th surgery). So Christmas and New Years will be shakes. Any holiday themed shakes ideas? I have mostly vanilla and a few chocolate. How can I finesse my shakes to taste like something from Starbucks? Oh yeah, I'm allergic to aspartame.

Female 30s Canada
RNY January 4, 2019

VioletFemme
on 11/13/18 4:16 pm - Greater Toronto Area, Canada
Topic: RE: Flu shot

I've been getting flu shots for the last 3 years because I have autoimmune disorder. I never have any issues. The most I ever had is just slight soreness at the injection site for a few hours. Correlation doesn't equal causation. It could be psychosomatic or another illness/issue.

Female 30s Canada
RNY January 4, 2019

Most Active
Recent Topics