Mahalo F.’s Posts

Mahalo F.
on 1/3/17 1:51 pm
Topic: RE: RNY Surgery - Jan 26

I have to agree with the previous post.

Our WLS is definitely a tool and from what I have read while the first year of very hard the maintenance of 10 X harder.

I know quite a few people that had the RNY and they are slowly gaining the weight back.  Going back to all the foods that made them obese in the first place.

Even if your pouch is small you can still put small amounts of junk in throughout the day...

I have watched a friend down an XL Tim Hortons Icecap over the period of 2 hours. 250 calories, all the fat & sugar.

We are the masters of our own ddestiny...

Take care 

Mahalo

Roux En Y - Jan. 4, 2017

HW 283 SW 260 CW 165

IN THE END WE ONLY REGRET CHANCES WE DIDN'T TAKE.

Mahalo F.
on 1/3/17 1:31 pm
Topic: RE: optifast question

Thank you!

Roux En Y - Jan. 4, 2017

HW 283 SW 260 CW 165

Mahalo F.
on 1/3/17 12:00 pm, edited 1/3/17 5:29 am
Topic: RE: optifast question

Hello!

On am on my last of 21 days of Opti fast...

Opti fast is a very big adjustment...

I swear it prepares us for our WLS.

I have not experienced any side effects.  I did begin to feel nauseous just before I was due for another shake.

I tolerated the Optifast ....

The Optifast was very hard. (4) icy shakes (4) times a day in the winter was difficult. I had them every (4) hours. 8 am, noon, 4pm & 8pm. Very important to take them exactly every (4) hours.  I drank tea & coffee every hour in between. I found comfort in their warmth.

It is very important to drink 2-3 litre of water on top of the Opti Fast.  You have to maintain your hydration.   You will be surprised how satisfied you are with appetite suppression.  Once you get past the first 5 days it most certainly gets easier.

I hope this helps!

Best of luck on your new journey!

Sandra

Mahalo

Roux En Y - Jan. 4, 2017

HW 283 SW 260 CW 165

Mahalo F.
on 1/3/17 9:12 am, edited 1/3/17 1:13 am
Topic: RE: I start Optifast tomorrow

Hello 

The night before Opti fast, I went out for dinner with my friends.

Our go to dinner out was always Asian.

I was surprised how very little I ate.  The portion and self control impressed my friends and quite honestly surprised me.

The Optifast was very hard.  (4) icy shakes (4) times a day in the winter was difficult.  I had them every (4) hours.  8 am, noon, 4pm & 8pm. I drank tea & coffee every hour in between. I found comfort in their warmth.

I drank 2-3 litre of water on top of the Opti & teas/coffee. You will be surprised how satisfied you are with appetite suppression.

I hope this helps!

Best of luck on your new journey!

Sandra

Mahalo

Roux En Y - Jan. 4, 2017

HW 283 SW 260 CW 165

Mahalo F.
on 1/3/17 8:57 am
Topic: RE: Questions about diet first week post op

Hello

How are you feeling?

How has the last couple of weeks been?

Sandra

Mahalo

Roux En Y - Jan. 4, 2017

HW 283 SW 260 CW 165

Mahalo F.
on 1/3/17 8:54 am
Topic: RE: Protein Powders??

Hello!

Our weight management centre recommends the Costco Premier Protein shakes post op. Easy, ready and good to go.

I hope they are a good source of protein especially in the first few weeks.

Well at least until I continue onto more dense proteins.

Mahalo

Roux En Y - Jan. 4, 2017

HW 283 SW 260 CW 165

Mahalo F.
on 1/3/17 5:44 am
Topic: RE: Tomorrow is the BIG day

Hello everyone!  

I can't believe today is my last day of Opti fast...

Finally having my RNY tomorrow... Well, I hope that I wake up with a RNY.  My surgeon had me consent to both a RNY & a Surgical Sleeve.  I have a history of Stage 4 Endometriosis and he is hoping that he can rearrange the intestine.

I woke up with a bit of anxiety today.  It has been a very long journey and I hope that everything goes well.

I will post in both the Ontario forum and the North America forum.

I want to thank you all for your support & guidance throughout this life changing journey... 

Please keep me in your thoughts and send positive energy and healing vibes.

January 4th will be an amazing start to the rest of my life.

Sincerely and with much appreciation,  

Sandra

Mahalo. 

Roux En Y - Jan. 4, 2017

HW 283 SW 260 CW 165

Mahalo F.
on 1/2/17 5:54 pm, edited 1/2/17 9:55 am
Topic: RE: Finally told my parents

Dearest Kathi,

How are you doing?

I read your post and I admire you for having the courage to tell your parents.  I completely understand how you feel.  I have posted about my inability to tell my parents and mother in law.

I didn't want to hear them try to talk me out of it.  Their concern is understandable but in the end, we should be the only ones making decisions for ourselves.  I am also 52 and very unhappy.  This was not a decision that I made on a whim.

I will come clean after my surgery and hope that they will quickly get over my dishonesty.

We have chosen to do what is best for us...

Best of luck on your journey!

I do admire your strength and determination.

We will always be there for you! 

Please keep in touch...

Sandra

Mahalo

Roux En Y - Jan. 4, 2017

HW 283 SW 260 CW 165

Mahalo F.
on 1/2/17 11:55 am, edited 1/2/17 4:30 am
Topic: RE: LBL in Ottawa or nearby?

Hello...

Congratulations on your weight loss...

Quite honestly I did not know what LBL was, so I googled it.

Toronto Cosmetic Surgery Institute came up.

I also recommend clicking on the triple bars at the top of the screen & clicking on the plastic surgery forum.

Hope this helps and good luck

Mahalo

My RNY is January 4th, 2017

Roux En Y - Jan. 4, 2017

HW 283 SW 260 CW 165

Mahalo F.
on 1/1/17 8:10 am
Topic: RE: Need help...pre-op and gained 10 pounds

Good morning and Happy New Year!

I posted what I did to prepare for WLS a while ago for another member. I thought that I would post it for you.

First of all... breathe... This is a new day and a new year.  Put everything behind and start fresh.

I would not worry about them cancelling anything.  I do know here in Ottawa that if you have not made the nutritional changes moving forward, the dietician will make suggestions and ask you to come back for follow up.

Congratulations on putting yourself first.  

I wanted to be prepared and begin eliminating everything that you cannot have.  So stop everything carbonated, caffienated, alcohol, junk food, fast food and I gave up most carbs. Drink at least 2-3 litres of water daily.

Portion control is key. Making good food choices.

I guess I really wanted to continue normal food because I knew that there would be a mass change in choices post RNY.

Quite honestly... I had not given up everything...

Still enjoyed my bagels with cream cheese.

I was never a pasta lover and I am Italian! I know crazy!

I am really going to miss a nice juicy burger

I love oriental or anything Asian it's my go to!

My last dinner before Optifast was Asian. So yummy!

My love for General Tao's Chicken & Love for rice will most certainly gonna break my heart post RNY.

Not a big alcohol drinker. That was easy!  

My RNY is January 4th

I am currently Day 20 of Optifast-  That has been hard.  4 shakes 4 times a day was very difficult.  It was not about the taste. It is winter and I got tired of drinking cold beverages. I compensated with warm teas and coffees in between. 

I have been trying to eat without drinking for 30 minutes.

That is my biggest challenge.

I am a bit worried about the sip sip sip of water or any liquids post RNY.

Still not sure how big a swallow it should be post RNY.

Everyone here will tell you to track everything either on paper or Lose it or My Fitness Pal

Take a picture of your self now in a door way and continue to do so during your journey.

If you can... Come back here daily. The gang here are amazing, informative and supportive!  

My RNY is January 4th... 

Good luck

Sandra

Mahalo

Roux En Y - Jan. 4, 2017

HW 283 SW 260 CW 165

Mahalo F.
on 12/30/16 10:41 am
Topic: RE: 100 pounds down!

WOW !

Congratulations! 

Keep up the great work!

Take care

Mahalo

Roux En Y - Jan. 4, 2017

HW 283 SW 260 CW 165

Mahalo F.
on 12/28/16 11:01 am
Topic: RE: Same surgery date

Thank you!

I have not maneuvered the ins and outs of this site.

Mahalo

Roux En Y - Jan. 4, 2017

HW 283 SW 260 CW 165

Mahalo F.
on 12/28/16 9:27 am
Topic: RE: Same surgery date

Hello guys!

I hope everyone survived the holidays...  

Does anyone have the same surgery date!

My RNY is January 4th @ the Ottawa Hospital. 

Take care 

Sandra

Mahalo

Roux En Y - Jan. 4, 2017

HW 283 SW 260 CW 165

Mahalo F.
on 12/25/16 3:03 pm
Topic: RE: Accidentwasn't

Hello Kathy,

How are you doing? 

I have to admit the first 48 hours were pretty bad.

I am feeling a bit better today... 

Quite honestly... I think it is preparing me for the RNY.

Definitely having a hard time climbing in and out of bed.

My bed is quite high... So I am thinking that I am going to kick my little guy out of his bed post op.

It is Christmas Day and I am hiding in the den.

Today has been difficult.  Day 12 Opti fast... 

10 days until RNY 

Take care

Sandra

Mahalo

Roux En Y - Jan. 4, 2017

HW 283 SW 260 CW 165

Mahalo F.
on 12/25/16 10:57 am
Topic: RE: Happy Holidays

Roux En Y - Jan. 4, 2017

HW 283 SW 260 CW 165

Mahalo F.
on 12/24/16 6:31 pm
Topic: RE: Ottawa Civic Hospital Team is amazing

Congratulations on your successful surgery.

I knew would love Dr. Neville!

Sending you positive vibes and healing!

Mahalo

Roux En Y - Jan. 4, 2017

HW 283 SW 260 CW 165

Mahalo F.
on 12/24/16 6:24 pm
Topic: RE: Accidentwasn't

Hello everyone!

So... I went in for my pre-op yesterday.

Told them about my knee scooter incidence.

I told them I was worried about the injury that I sustained to the left upper quadrant of my abdomen. There is quite a lot of swelling, bruising & discomfort in that whole area.

They sent me for X-rays and they showed that I have two cracked ribs.  Good news is that they are not displaced.

The anesthesiologist suggested rescheduling  my  RNY for a month until things heal. I asked if the injury would effect the surgery and he said no.  I told him that I am half way through my Opti fast prep. Hell or high water, I am moving forward with my surgery. 

I am very uncomfortable and I cannot lay on my right or left sides.  I am hoping with each and every day moving forward that the pain decreases.

This is another very good reason to lose weight.  Landing with all my weight on the handle bars wasn't easy.

That being said... Moving on and moving forward.

Day 11 Opti fast and a survived Christmas Eve dinner without falling off the wagon. Actually quite proud of myself.

Thank you

Sandra

Mahalo

Roux En Y - Jan. 4, 2017

HW 283 SW 260 CW 165

Mahalo F.
on 12/23/16 10:38 am
Topic: RE: Accident

Hello everyone!

So I have mentioned before, I had some ankle surgery.  I rented a knee scooter instead of crutches.  I used it quite a lot in and around the house during the first 4 weeks. Yesterday, I ventured out  and about to do some Christmas shopping.

While scootering along the side walk and a wheel hit a crack and it sent me falling forward.  I hit my left knee, wrist, left upper quadrant of my abdomen (on the handle bar) & I hit the left side of my face when I hit the ground.

I know... It was quite the fall and I was embarrassed.

After a bit of help from some very kind people, I got up on my feet and while uncomfortable decided I was okay.

After about an hour the pain in my right upper quadrant had increased and become quite unbearable. Feeling a lot of pressure and was having a hard time moving.

I chose not to go to emergency because I didn't want to wait 12 hours in emergency and get exposed to something that might sideline my surgery.

Took some Dilaudid and went to bed. Quite honestly I am worried about my spleen.

I was at the weight management clinic this morning and the nurse practioner told me to mention it to the pre admission nurse this afternoon.  I am hoping that they will order an ultrasound and rule out any crazy. I don't want anything to delay my surgery. Having said that, I am worried that I may have injured my spleen...

I don't want to go into surgery and them find an injured spleen.

Hoping my pre admission appointment will order some diagnostic imaging...

Feeling anxious...

Mahalo

Roux En Y - Jan. 4, 2017

HW 283 SW 260 CW 165

Mahalo F.
on 12/22/16 8:18 am, edited 12/22/16 12:19 am
Topic: RE: Scheduled for Pre-Surg. 2 class and meeting the surgeon! Dr. Mamazza @ Civic Hospital.

Welcome  board!

I met with Dr. Mamazza on October 19th, 2016.

He will review your complete medical history.

Not sure if you are having RNY or Gastric Sleeve?

I am booked for RNY.  He explained that if for whatever reason they are not able to do the RNY, they may do Gastric Sleeve instead.  Apparently you have to consent for both just in case.  I had a lot of questions (nurses are the worst patients).

I asked about possible complications.  Gastric leak was my biggest concern. He explained that we do not leave the OR unless everything is perfect.

I also having sensitivities to narcotics. I told been that I tolerated Dilaudid (Hydromorphone) best. That is there drug of choice.

I was worried about nausea & vomiting as I am sensitive to anesthesia. They treat with great meds.

He is a very nice guy. Given we both Italian we chatted a bit in Italian.

He will ask you if you have any questions.

Make a list of questions and come prepared. 

You sign consent & he gives you script for Opti-fast.

The weight management clinic called a couple of days later and was booking a month later.  I had ankle surgery booked Remember Day and asked for January 4th, 2017. 

I am a widow and wanted to have the surgery when the boys were off school.  It would be easier without all the routines associated with school.

OMG congratulations on making it this far. 

Continue to come back here daily and read all the posts.

Everyone is so amazing and supportive...  

I have found that they have given me peace of mind.

Take care

Good luck

Sandra

Mahalo

Roux En Y - Jan. 4, 2017

HW 283 SW 260 CW 165

Mahalo F.
on 12/11/16 6:41 am
Topic: RE: Drinking and eating

Hello,

They want you to eat first and wait 30 minutes before having anything to drink. They want the food to remain in the pouch for nutritional reasons. Fluids would flush the food out and apparently you are at risk for malnutrition.

I have been trying to do that for the past month.

It is very hard!

Hope this helps

Mahalo

Mahalo F.
on 11/24/16 12:15 pm, edited 11/24/16 4:18 am
Topic: RE: Surgeon Appt, what the expect?

Hello,

I am not sure how things go in Hamilton.

My meet & sign consent appointment went well.

I met with one of (4) surgeons who operate at the Ottawa Hospital. Dr. Mamazza was the surgeon for that particular day.

Dr. Mamazza reviewed my chart and did a complete medical history with me and I then signed consent.

He explained that although, I am booked with the Roux En Gastric Bypass Surgery that there may be a possibility that I end up with a Sleeve.  I have a history of Stage (4) Endometriosis and they were not sure how movable the lower  intestine would be.

My friend also experienced the same thing, but woke up with  RNY.

I asked if he was performing the surgery.  He said that I could specifically choose him or I would end up with who ever was operating on that specific day.

I was offered the first week of December but chose to bump my OR date to January and it just so happens that Dr. Mamazza is operating on that day.

I asked specific questions of the risks...

ie. mortality, infection, gastric leaks, 

I asked Dr. Mamazza if he does the whole operation.

Ottawa Hospital is a teaching hospital.  I was not thrilled with a resident doing the surgery.  He said that there were a number of doctors assisting him ie. Fellow.  They assist the primary surgeon.

I also have sleep apnea & I was told to bring my own BIPAP machine...

Make a list of your questions and bring them with you.

Once you have signed consent and your surgeon gives you the green light, I was called the following week. 

I still have preop appointment pending...

They may do updated blood work, chest X-ray,

ECG and I will meet with Anesthesia.

Hope this helps!

Good luck and Mahalo

Mahalo F.
on 11/24/16 11:41 am
Topic: RE: Update - first night at home

Congratulations on a successful surgery!

I imagine that you are so glad that the surgery

is over! Keep posting updates and continue doing what you are doing ! 

Mahalo 

Most Active
Recent Topics