anabanana1976’s Posts

anabanana1976
on 12/15/18 4:21 pm
Topic: RE: Any WLS friendly GPs in BC?

Hi there

I do. I have a GREAT GP, in Langley. Dr Tekle. I am not sure if he takes new patients, but he is fantastic and has supported my weight loss journey since day 1.
Are you on the waitlist with the bariatric team at all in Richmond? They have a 2 yr wait list (literally 2 years).

It shouldn't be up to your GP if you are a candidate for bariatric surgery. His/Her role is to refer you, and it is up the bariatrician and/or surgeon to asses if you are a candidate. I would either push the GP you have and advocate for your self, or I would do a search for an alternate GP, although, that can be time consuming.

Good luck

A

anabanana1976
on 10/19/18 2:36 pm
Topic: RE: Need help with a few things

I despises all protein drinks when I started. Ugh. It still makes me shiver. I ended up trying IsoPure. I only found it in the USA, but it basically tastes like gatorade. Grape and Orange were my fav flavours.

My dietitian approved this for me, so check with your dietician of course. But I drank these rather than the think-chalk like protein drinks.

Here are some nutritional facts

• Packed with 40g of 100% pure whey protein isolate
  • 160 calories
  • Lactose-free and gluten-free, so you can better your bod without discomfort
  • No lactose, no aspartame
anabanana1976
on 10/19/18 2:21 pm
Topic: RE: I haven't exercised... but I need to. 11 months out.

Love your advice

I too exercise 4-6 times a week..depending on my work schedule and well, my mood haha.. but I love that you said the following:

"Exercising builds confidence, clears your mind and builds strength. It's incredible how your body feels after a good work out. I find I walk taller and think positively when I work out"

Once you start feeling how good it feels to work out, you don't want to not work out. It becomes habit. Something I don't think about. I just look on my calendar and find slots to fit it in and it part of my lifestyle. With regular exercise I have also started doing more things recreationally - this summer I started road cycling and paddle boarding.. it's amazing what strength and resilience your body has when you take care of it. It's not anymore that I can't do it, it is now that I can do it - and if for some reason I don't get up the hill all the way, at least i tried! And there is always a next time.

A

anabanana1976
on 10/19/18 2:11 pm
Topic: RE: So I broke a chair tonight.....

From Orientation to Surgery I had 3 mnths.

upon orientation i was 'fast tracked' because the RN thought I was ready. I started some ha*****anges before orientation which, I suppose, worked for me. The issue for me was my BMI was too high for surgery, so I actually had to loose 26 lbs before I could get to see the surgeon. Once I lost 20 (in that first month after orientation) they went ahead and booked me with the surgeon. Upon seeing him, I just needed my gastroscopy and some BW done. I couldn't believe how quickly it all happened, but I am so thankful I did.

anabanana1976
on 10/19/18 1:53 pm
Topic: RE: Not my goal

I am in agreeance with the majority. Don't stop until you are satisfied, and as long as it is healthy for you. A scale # is nice and all, especially while we are reaching our goals, but how you FEEL is 100% more satisfying. At least for me it is. Good job on your success!

anabanana1976
on 7/7/18 8:58 pm
Topic: RE: Calorie intake info

Anyone have a chart or rough idea how many calories one should be ingesting post op? I am 7.5 months post op sleeve gastrectomy.. I am waiting an email back from my dietician.. but was just curious. I know it goes by 'weight' but even a rough estimate would be great.

Thanks

Ana

anabanana1976
on 4/21/18 6:18 pm
Topic: RE: Packing for the Hospital?

Good one..Pillow for drive home.. Agreed!

anabanana1976
on 4/18/18 1:51 pm
Topic: RE: Weight loss after orientation.

Hey There

I did no dieting before my Orientation date and I thought I was in the clear - but my BMI was too high to do a safe surgery, so I had to lose 26lbs before I got my surgeon consultation.
My first reaction to the dietician was 'how the hell do you want me to do that?"..

He gave me a weeks worth of meals/plan and I followed it to a T. And, I was never hungry because it met all my nutritional needs. On top of that I did aquacise 4-6 times a week depending on my schedule.
Within a month, I was down 20lbs. He could not beleive it himself.. so they booked me with a surgeon 3 weeks form then, and by the time I saw the surgeon I was 28lbs down.

And since then I have been consistently losing ..

So, even if you have to lose some.. don't fear it. Work with your dietician. And trust the process. It will work. Good luck!

anabanana1976
on 4/18/18 1:27 pm
Topic: RE: Packing for the Hospital?

Honestly, do NOT overpack.

I brought a book, Ipad, Cell phone etc.. thinking I was going to be all up and about..
The only thing I did during my hospital stay was try and walk, eat when it came (the oh-so-yummy clear fluids) and sleep.. I slept a lot.. it was fantastic lol. I hated even checking my phone I was so tired.

You most likely won't be on too many painkillers - really, there was no grande pain post op for me - just discomfort but nothing a regular Tylenol wouldn't help.

Don't even bring socks - they will give you socks you put on for Surgery - those fashinoable green/blue ones - just wear them - they have a grip on the bottom so you can walk in them too. Just bring clothes to wear home - loose fitting sweats and shirt and a pair of shows you can leave in..

Honestly, the stay will pass in a blink of an eye..

When is your surgery?
A

anabanana1976
on 12/28/17 12:57 pm
Topic: RE: I saw my surgen yesterday! Can someone give me an idea of the first few weeks post op

I am in BC and I had surgery on Nov 21st. It was laparsocpic - so 5 small incisions. I stayed in hospital for 2 nights since my breathing would dip quite low while on anasthetics.. but I was able to go home POD#2.

At home I was fine..I felt discomfort, but did not need T3's or regular Tylenol.
I walked my dog 3 times a day and just followed my dr's orders as they were outlined.

My cons:
I could not tolerate the protein shakes, which, is vital for protein intake , so I made home made soups and added protein powder. I never reached my protein target in the first 3 weeks and I put so much pressure on myself to do so, it drove me nuts. I found out that it was OK to not meet your protein.. my surgeon was more wanting me to stat hydrated.

Bowels - I thought I was constipated because I was having a BM every 3-5 days. Nope! It's perfectly normal while on Clear Liquids or Full fluids or even pureed foods. Once I started eating more solids, the BM's came naturally. I beat myself up over this.. for no reason.

The Multivits/Iron - I couldn't stand the taste of any of the chewables or the iron liquid. I asked my dietician if i can switch to Pills- she said at 6 weeks. Then i asked her if I could take the patch (Patch MD), she said it doesnt meet some Canadian Guidelines they follow.. so anyways, I have not been taking my Multivits/Iron for the past 3 weeks.. with that said - I DO NOT recommend anyone do that. I have only done it as there is no alternative and I am really trying to get as much nutrition in food wise now. My surgeon is aware and I will start on pill form soon.

Hunger Pains are real. I started getting them this past week.. still working on that.. (waiting for a reply from my surgeons office..)

I weigh myself once a week. My first week post op I lost 14 lbs, then 3, then 2, then 0.4, hen 1.6 - give yourself patience to accept that any loss is a good thing! Something I am learning to accept.

Always remember, it is YOUR Journey. Not your surgeons or your dietitians. Speak up. Don't accept a non-chalant answer, and make choices that work for YOU.

When is your surgery?

Ana

anabanana1976
on 11/29/17 3:00 pm
Topic: RE: VSG Vegans.. anyone?

Hi there - I am post op day 9 VSG. Woot Woot..

I was transitioning into veganism right before I started this process in September. My prep diet was not vegan and nor is my post op diet, but once I am out of the initial post op phase of 6 or so weeks I would like to get back to a more vegan like menu..

Anyone else out there who is vegan and getting all their targets in?

Thanks

Ana

Most Active
Recent Topics