Diminishing Dawn’s Posts

Diminishing Dawn
on 7/5/21 3:59 am, edited 7/8/21 7:36 pm
Topic: RE: Yearly update 15 years post op

13+years post op RNY. first year blog here or My LongTimer blog. Tummy Tuck Dr. Matic 2014 -Ohip funded panni Windsor WLS support group.message me anytime!
HW:290 LW:139 RW: 167 CW: 145

Diminishing Dawn
on 4/9/21 3:25 am
Topic: RE: Scheduled for surgery on April 19, VSG, but feeling pressured into having RNY

Some centres follow the ohip criteria more closely than others. They are actually reasons for the sleeve according to Ohip. Some centres give you a choice and some do not. They really are supposed to follow Ohip criteria

13+years post op RNY. first year blog here or My LongTimer blog. Tummy Tuck Dr. Matic 2014 -Ohip funded panni Windsor WLS support group.message me anytime!

Diminishing Dawn
on 4/8/21 5:24 pm
Topic: RE: Scheduled for surgery on April 19, VSG, but feeling pressured into having RNY

Are you TWH!? Some programs follow the OHIP rules as is. OHIP states only a few situations that sleeve is permitted. So if they are following the actual Ohip rules, you may or may not qualify.

Did you ask them why Rny?

Diminishing Dawn
on 4/8/21 3:48 pm

An inflamed esophagus is usually a sign of reflux. Reflux and a sleeve is usually a terrible pairing resulting typically in further damage.it makes sense.

Why do you have reservations about the RNY?

Diminishing Dawn
on 3/20/21 9:53 am
Topic: RE: No help at Humber when asking

That's because they don't just give you optifast. It's a program with dietician and social worker access. It's the "medical" program and there's a very long wait list.

if you want just optifast, you can contact one of the optifast suppliers.

Google "Peter goldfarb"

you can also lose by getting back to your original program. Nutrition with food, instead of shakes.

Diminishing Dawn
on 2/7/21 7:07 am, edited 2/6/21 11:08 pm
Topic: RE: Panniculectomy Approval/Questions about Abdominalplasty

Who did you see? Denial is usually the result of a doctor not advocating enough. So good for following through.

recovery is slow. Take it easy. Stay on top of pain meds. Follow the rules given. Walk.

Diminishing Dawn
on 10/30/20 1:59 pm
Topic: RE: HI. Noone's posting here anymore

Yes many of them!

Diminishing Dawn
on 10/16/20 7:37 pm

And yes it's quiet here. People I think are in fb more. But once in a while us old folks peek in here lol

Diminishing Dawn
on 10/16/20 7:35 pm, edited 10/16/20 12:36 pm

Hey :-)

14 plus years out. I?ve been up 27 lbs above goal and the way to get back down is about reeling yourself in and making yourself accountable.

it?s all nutrition and food choices. It?s going to be about being real with yourself. Weight loss is always possible but it?s going to require honesty with yourself about how we have to eat as a bariatric patient, holding yourself accountable and food prepping and planning. I don?t eat radically to lose. I focus on whole foods and protein first. I eat all food groups.

When you?re ready, you can do it. No lectures here. Just the real life ups and downs of post bariatric life. No magic. Just hard work and consistency.

good luck

Dawn

Diminishing Dawn
on 8/31/20 2:44 pm
Topic: RE: Panniculectomy requirements

My pannus did not extend that low. I still was covered.

Diminishing Dawn
on 8/28/20 3:57 pm
Topic: RE: Yearly update. 14 years.

This is where I started lol

Diminishing Dawn
on 7/29/20 5:27 am

Will pm you.

Diminishing Dawn
on 7/28/20 6:25 pm

What matters most is that you have a doctor who is willing to do the paperwork. That's key. Few want to work with Ohip at all. Some will just fill out papers poorly because they don't really want to work with Ohip.

then you must MENTION rashes

Diminishing Dawn
on 7/18/20 8:22 pm

Your success is all owed to YOU ;-)

but thanks so much for the kind words!

Diminishing Dawn
on 7/16/20 6:23 pm

Thanks everyone.

I try and visit here at least once a year so people know there's life long out. Not too many conversations like there used to be since it seems to be more about Facebook or

instagram.

take care :-)

Diminishing Dawn
on 7/15/20 4:05 pm
Topic: RE: Sleeve 5 yrs ago, gained ALL back

What weight did you start at? What did you get to? Where are you?

have you thought of revision? If not I'd recommend if you have coverage seeing about a prescription for saxenda. I'd also consider weigh****chers. I found it helpful with regain.

Diminishing Dawn
on 7/5/20 3:26 pm

14 years ago I had my roux en y surgery in Ypsilanti, Michigan. It was my first surgery besides my wisdom teeth removal so I was quite the nervous wreck. No big health problems so I worried that I was trading good for bad. My bmi at my highest was 51.

The GOOD - no medications, no big health issues, mobility is good, no worrying about fitting in backseats of cars or other tight spaces. One size does fit all.
This body moves well and these legs are strong and bring me many places although they crack like the Dickens when I bend. Lol. I'm hitting 50 years of age in a few months.

The BAD - osteopenia from wrong calcium (take citrate, please!) but once I switched to the right calcium I had no more further loss. Reactive hypoglycaemia kicks my butt on the odd, odd occasion but I've learned to manage it very well. Iron is perpetually low and needs refuelling.

The UGLY- the food issues (binge eater) continue to be my struggle. It takes perpetual work to dust myself off, pick myself off and get back on track but I do it....constantly. I was the chubby kid, overweight teen and obese adult. This "lifestyle" is not naturally imbedded in my brain. It's work to maintain it. And yes I've had regain. But I gain, freak out, cry on my scale and throw a little tantrum with my scale and I realize that to keep it off it's ALL ME and MY FOOD CHOICES and I'm going to have to be consistent to keep it off.

The SUCCESS can be attributed to staying in support groups, attending wls conferences, talking with other patients, seeking help when I need it from self help books, weigh****chers, mindful eating classes. Whatever I can find I will often try for a while and it helps me to repurpose and refocus.

No one said it would be easy. It isn't. Long term it's the hardest work you'll ever do. But it is definitely worth it.

Diminishing Dawn
on 6/12/20 11:12 am
Topic: RE: PLEASE Recommend PLASTIC SURGEONS in Ontario through OHIP for SKIN REMOVAL

Will pm you

Diminishing Dawn
on 3/19/20 4:22 pm
Topic: RE: Referred to Bariatric Clinic in Windsor

Awesome. If you ever can (when we are up and running), come to a windsor meeting sometime of our support group. We also have a fb group.

Diminishing Dawn
on 3/14/20 11:52 am
Topic: RE: Coronavirus and surgery dates

I have seen some received home calls that surgeries are suspended at st mikes. I expect more to follow suit soon

Diminishing Dawn
on 3/9/20 7:51 pm
Topic: RE: Referred to Bariatric Clinic in Windsor

Hello

what community are you in?
many lapband patients have been revised to Rny. It will be much better than a lapband.

good luck in your journey it will be amazing!

dawn

Diminishing Dawn
on 12/21/19 9:32 pm
Topic: RE: Hello. I'm new here.

It's not his job to make the determination that you are an appropriate candidate for surgery - that's the bariatric centres job. You could bring articles like Dr. Sharma's article on bariatric surgery "why I support bariatric surgery" easily google-able. He's one of Canada's leading experts. Ultimately his job is to make the referral.

BUT since of course he will be involved in follow ups, he needs to be on board. If he isn't then I would seek a new doctor quite honestly. You need someone willing to educate themselves about surgery as well.

check out your local support groups as the members will often know which doctors are bariatric friendly.

Diminishing Dawn
on 12/19/19 6:10 pm
Topic: RE: They moved up my surgery date and I'm freaking out

Don't worry about risking your procedure. Follow their guidelines. If they feel you aren't safe, they wouldn't do surgery.

I had only one day of clear liquids.

Diminishing Dawn
on 12/13/19 7:18 am, edited 12/12/19 11:18 pm
Topic: RE: Advice needed! Feeling defeated

He said that the panni is covered by no one will do it?

untrue. Most wont do it though without upgrading to a tt. But there are a few doctors who will do it.

the docs above require upgrade.

join the ontario plastic surgery fb

Diminishing Dawn
on 12/12/19 5:46 pm
Topic: RE: Advice needed! Feeling defeated

What is covered is a Brest reduction or panni.
legs aren't covered.

dr nandagopal and dr chivers both in Scarborough are often used.

yazdani is popular in london

in Windsor, it's often dr Snowden who's popular. I suggest asking in your local support group.

Most Active