Diminishing Dawn’s Posts

Diminishing Dawn
on 3/19/20 4:22 pm
Topic: RE: Referred to Bariatric Clinic in Windsor

Awesome. If you ever can (when we are up and running), come to a windsor meeting sometime of our support group. We also have a fb group.

17+ years post op RNY. first year blog here or My LongTimer blog. Tummy Tuck Dr. Matic 2014 -Ohip funded panni Windsor WLS support group.message me anytime!
HW:290 LW:139 RW: 167 CW: 139

Diminishing Dawn
on 3/14/20 11:52 am
Topic: RE: Coronavirus and surgery dates

I have seen some received home calls that surgeries are suspended at st mikes. I expect more to follow suit soon

17+ years post op RNY. first year blog here or My LongTimer blog. Tummy Tuck Dr. Matic 2014 -Ohip funded panni Windsor WLS support group.message me anytime!

Diminishing Dawn
on 3/9/20 7:51 pm
Topic: RE: Referred to Bariatric Clinic in Windsor

Hello

what community are you in?
many lapband patients have been revised to Rny. It will be much better than a lapband.

good luck in your journey it will be amazing!

dawn

Diminishing Dawn
on 12/21/19 9:32 pm
Topic: RE: Hello. I'm new here.

It's not his job to make the determination that you are an appropriate candidate for surgery - that's the bariatric centres job. You could bring articles like Dr. Sharma's article on bariatric surgery "why I support bariatric surgery" easily google-able. He's one of Canada's leading experts. Ultimately his job is to make the referral.

BUT since of course he will be involved in follow ups, he needs to be on board. If he isn't then I would seek a new doctor quite honestly. You need someone willing to educate themselves about surgery as well.

check out your local support groups as the members will often know which doctors are bariatric friendly.

Diminishing Dawn
on 12/19/19 6:10 pm
Topic: RE: They moved up my surgery date and I'm freaking out

Don't worry about risking your procedure. Follow their guidelines. If they feel you aren't safe, they wouldn't do surgery.

I had only one day of clear liquids.

Diminishing Dawn
on 12/13/19 7:18 am, edited 12/12/19 11:18 pm
Topic: RE: Advice needed! Feeling defeated

He said that the panni is covered by no one will do it?

untrue. Most wont do it though without upgrading to a tt. But there are a few doctors who will do it.

the docs above require upgrade.

join the ontario plastic surgery fb

Diminishing Dawn
on 12/12/19 5:46 pm
Topic: RE: Advice needed! Feeling defeated

What is covered is a Brest reduction or panni.
legs aren't covered.

dr nandagopal and dr chivers both in Scarborough are often used.

yazdani is popular in london

in Windsor, it's often dr Snowden who's popular. I suggest asking in your local support group.

Diminishing Dawn
on 12/4/19 5:10 pm
Topic: RE: Tips & tricks for getting back on track?

Struggling? Give yourself some grace.

You are human. Begin again and take out your program that you were given from your program.

Look at it and live it again. Throw all the processed stuff out, focus on protein first again and vegetables second.

Use myfitnesspal and make yourself accountable again. We often think that we aren't eating much when we actually are once we make ourselves accountable for every lick, bite and taste.

Go back to your support group meetings if you have one.

Don't hesitate to call your centre and see who you need to see --- dietician, social workers etc.

We are all different. If you have an eating disorder then look into therapy.

Most of the time though we need to go back to the habits that helped us lose the weight. We slack over time and go back to our old ways.

If you need a support group like weigh****chers or TOPS try that. Use your wls support group too! That's what it is for!

Look for programs from your nearby eating disorder place, mental health has programming too and health units.

Try new things. You never know what will motivate you. The important part is to KEEP TRYING.

Be honest. Talk about it. In support groups too. The honesty with yourself and others is important. You are not perfect and you don't have to be.

The more we share when we are struggling the more we can support one another. Find mentors.

Remember too that keeping off anymore can be just as important as losing.

I'm 13 years plus out and there can be times that I struggle too. "Moderation" is very tricky for many of us and doesn't come innately. It's a struggle and sometimes it's day by day. I have talked about this at bariatric conferences and a video discussing this. This is hard long term.

Remember you are not alone. There is no shame in struggling. The reality is that the longer you are out, the more challenging it is. Remember -You are worth the struggle. Be kind to yourself.

Remember : whole foods. Protein first! Real food NOT processed.

I've lost 22 of my 27 lbs of regain.

Know that today is a new day worth of starting anew. You can do this!

Diminishing Dawn
on 11/1/19 5:36 pm
Topic: RE: DS in 2007

hi sandra

not too many of the old folks are around and I don't really see the Dsers here anymore. Don't forget to try the DS boards and the Ontario fb groups.

take care.
dawn

Diminishing Dawn
on 10/28/19 8:42 pm
Topic: RE: 1 Pound to goal and my food for today with question about carbs you are successful in maintaining

I highly suggest losing 5-10 more lbs to give yourself a buffer for bounceback.

Diminishing Dawn
on 10/14/19 4:34 pm
Topic: RE: 13 Years Post Op RNY

How have your d levels been? They are a strong piece to the calcium puzzle.

Diminishing Dawn
on 9/11/19 6:27 pm
Topic: RE: Surgeons who will do a Panni covered by OHIP in London area?

As far as I know he has been on stoppage for a considerable length of time?

Diminishing Dawn
on 9/6/19 9:36 am

Yes I am well aware of supplementation actually. My bone loss has not changed since year 2 so I am not osteoporotic.

Diminishing Dawn
on 8/25/19 9:49 am

Last month I celebrated the 13th anniversary of my RNY but I didn't post. Well today I've had a few moments to myself so I thought I would write up a little something to let newer folks (those of a few months to a few years out, know what life is like post surgery.

The AWESOME: Life is good! Life as a normal sized person is a wonderful thing. I am in a size medium and one size DOES fit all.

I have completed 5 half marathons, coached Special Olympics, and found a new love of kayaking.

Post surgery I realized I had an eating disorder (BED) and used food for so much. I've done therapy and have had to work really hard to work on those bad habits like "all or nothing", and allowing my fat head to criticize me.

Food is and always be a struggle. When you've always been overweight since childhood, "moderation" does not necessarily come innately even with a pouch! When regain happened, it was very daunting and I swung to every fad diet out there which of course, worked short term, but eventually lead to gaining it all back. In January, I was 27 lbs above my goal and that was scary! Regain is and always will be EASY!

I've worked this year really hard to find "balance" in my life which has proved to be a good thing. I have lost 18 lbs of my 27. I've gotten rid of thinking of short term solutions, and instead have focused on the long term haul by setting small goals for weight loss as working on getting back to HABITS. No radical plan other than more whole foods, fruit and veggies, protein first, less processed garbage etc. I still have treats and I still enjoy social events. It takes commitment to portion control and healthy eating overall. A treat isn't a "treat" when it's every day! If I ate what I wanted all the time I would be back to 300 lbs. this takes effort, discipline and portion control in a big way!

My activity involves me getting my 10,000 steps in most days and doing the occasional video and taking lots of walks. I don't want to spend hours in a gym - that's just not for me. So I am not a muscle woman nor a size 6 but I'm okay with that. I don't have to be.

The CHALLENGES: osteopenia (told wrong calcium to take), always iron deficient and I have reactive hypoglycaemia. All are manageable and a welcome trade off for my normal life. I take no medications - just supplements.

The biggest challenge of all is the one I mentioned above. Food will ALWAYS be my challenge! Surgery doesn't change the weight rollercoaster. I can't tell you how many times my weight has fluctuated up and down those same 20 lbs! Just because you kick it to the curb doesn't mean that the weight (or even regain!) is gone forever. I know this will be a commitment FOR THE REST OF MY LIFE!

Was the surgery worth it!? A million times yes! Until you live the long term life though you don't see it's greatest challenges. The best advice I can give is to find people to support you, always find new ways to spark your journey, deal with your food issues, ask for help, use your support group and mentors and most of all, stay connected to wls communities such as this one! ?o

Diminishing Dawn
on 8/25/19 9:48 am

Last month I celebrated the 13th anniversary of my RNY but I didn't post. Well today I've had a few moments to myself so I thought I would write up a little something to let newer folks (those of a few months to a few years out, know what life is like post surgery.

The AWESOME: Life is good! Life as a normal sized person is a wonderful thing. I am in a size medium and one size DOES fit all.

I have completed 5 half marathons, coached Special Olympics, and found a new love of kayaking.

Post surgery I realized I had an eating disorder (BED) and used food for so much. I've done therapy and have had to work really hard to work on those bad habits like "all or nothing", and allowing my fat head to criticize me.

Food is and always be a struggle. When you've always been overweight since childhood, "moderation" does not necessarily come innately even with a pouch! When regain happened, it was very daunting and I swung to every fad diet out there which of course, worked short term, but eventually lead to gaining it all back. In January, I was 27 lbs above my goal and that was scary! Regain is and always will be EASY!

I've worked this year really hard to find "balance" in my life which has proved to be a good thing. I have lost 18 lbs of my 27. I've gotten rid of thinking of short term solutions, and instead have focused on the long term haul by setting small goals for weight loss as working on getting back to HABITS. No radical plan other than more whole foods, fruit and veggies, protein first, less processed garbage etc. I still have treats and I still enjoy social events. It takes commitment to portion control and healthy eating overall. A treat isn't a "treat" when it's every day! If I ate what I wanted all the time I would be back to 300 lbs. this takes effort, discipline and portion control in a big way!

My activity involves me getting my 10,000 steps in most days and doing the occasional video and taking lots of walks. I don't want to spend hours in a gym - that's just not for me. So I am not a muscle woman nor a size 6 but I'm okay with that. I don't have to be.

The CHALLENGES: osteopenia (told wrong calcium to take), always iron deficient and I have reactive hypoglycaemia. All are manageable and a welcome trade off for my normal life. I take no medications - just supplements.

The biggest challenge of all is the one I mentioned above. Food will ALWAYS be my challenge! Surgery doesn't change the weight rollercoaster. I can't tell you how many times my weight has fluctuated up and down those same 20 lbs! Just because you kick it to the curb doesn't mean that the weight (or even regain!) is gone forever. I know this will be a commitment FOR THE REST OF MY LIFE!

Was the surgery worth it!? A million times yes! Until you live the long term life though you don't see it's greatest challenges. The best advice I can give is to find people to support you, always find new ways to spark your journey, deal with your food issues, ask for help, use your support group and mentors and most of all, stay connected to wls communities such as this one! ?o

Diminishing Dawn
on 8/23/19 4:25 pm
Topic: RE: Booze!

It will hit very hard and fast. You might dump if you are a dumper. Just keep that in mind.

Diminishing Dawn
on 8/19/19 5:52 pm
Topic: RE: What are you eating/doing today -- Monday?

Breakfast 2 hardboiled eggs and strawberries

lunch: chicken lunch meat and grapes.

Dinner: Italian sausage, half a small potato and asparagus with becel

Snacks: simply protein bar, banana and strawberries/blueberries with cool whip.

Diminishing Dawn
on 8/19/19 5:48 pm
Topic: RE: Update! (17 months post op)

Congrats on a great first year. Here's where the challenges will begin. Continue to rock it out :-) all the best for year 2.

Diminishing Dawn
on 7/11/19 2:01 pm
Topic: RE: Update

Considering how much you lost and what is expected, it only seems normal for your body to stall at this point. It needs to self correct so that you aren't listing too fast. Just keep doing what you are doing and keep off the scale for a while.

Diminishing Dawn
on 5/26/19 12:22 pm
Topic: RE: Slim time?

This is what I read

3 weeks worth is $180

2 weeks is $130

Diminishing Dawn
on 5/14/19 1:01 pm
Topic: RE: Why the sleep apnea test?

You Will typically need to get a machine and be using it consistently to be approved for surgery

Diminishing Dawn
on 5/10/19 2:47 pm
Topic: RE: Why the sleep apnea test?

Anesthesia, especially general anesthesia, can be dangerous for people with obstructive sleep apnea. ... Sleep apnea also can make it more difficult to regain consciousness and take a breath after surgery. The condition makes anesthesia riskier because it slows down breathing and can make you more sensitive to its effects.

Diminishing Dawn
on 5/6/19 3:45 am, edited 5/5/19 10:03 pm
Topic: RE: Veterans: How do you keep it off and avoid regain?
  • Hello !

What a surprise to see my name

in your post! How flattered I am too!

I am heading on to 13 years post op in July so I?m getting up there. Haha.

At 2-3 years out I gained back 20 lbs and I was devastated. I was even told that I was a failure for on this very board. It made me feel like I was a total failure.

Regain is NOT failure. It does not mean you?ll gain all your weight back. It means you have stuff to deal with and things to learn. We are living post op life in a way that is the complete opposite of our preop life. That?s hard especially when you have underlying eating disorders and head issues that you need to deal with.

I go up and down on the scale. I try different things to renew my journey at different times. Right now I?m into meal planning and portioning. It?s working for me well. I?m getting back on my treadmill. I religiously stay connected to the wls community through online groups, conferences and support groups. I have people in my online feeds that inspire me. Asking for help from your centre is good.

You have to start by giving yourself grace and trying to do better one day at a time. Find people that inspire you. Reach out and talk about the regain!! Feel free to message me if you ever want to talk I?m not going to type everything here but will gladly go into more in social media and or email I gladly support anyone through this journey who needs help or support Not here to sell anything just support

My 20 lbs has gone has high as 27 over goal. Right now I am 13 over goal

it will likely be a rollercoaster for life.

Love and hugs to you!

Dawn

Diminishing Dawn
on 4/11/19 5:02 pm, edited 4/11/19 10:05 am
Topic: RE: Nutracelle Giveaway Extravaganza: Over $1,600 Worth of Prizes! Includes Canada!

Overpriced mlm. Poor protein ratio. Umm surprised OH would endorse this.

Diminishing Dawn
on 2/20/19 7:01 pm
Topic: RE: REVISION QUESTION

Revision to DS would typically only be done if the person was a very high weight to begin with. Even with rny, a patient who is 300-500 lbs might lose only so much and so the DS would be done as a further enhancement. DS at erarely given out anymore in Ontario. Unfortunately they do DS as a two step here. You'd have to still meet the criteria to qualify for surgery and yes you would go through the process and typically the revision process makes you have to "prove yourself " a little

more.

Most Active
Recent Topics