Oh, Wise Ones - Need Advice

Rudie2
on 4/7/11 12:01 am - South Sound, WA
Meds for inflammation. Have some dental problems and have been advised to take Ibuprofen along with tylenol and Vicodin. However, can RNY patients take Ibuprofen?

Also does any one know if Vicodin is on the list of approved pain meds? My RNY was 4 years ago in another state and I don't recall getting a list of products that was OK and not OK.

Don't know what I'd do without this supportive group who's wise, responsive and lives life with humor. You guys/gals Rock.

Rudy
Laureen S.
on 4/7/11 12:30 am - Maple Shade, NJ

My Mantra is that I do not determine my success by the number hanging in my closet, nor will I let the scale determine that success either. . .  It is through trial and error I will continue to grow and succeed. . .  Laureen

"Success is a journey, not a destination."  Ben Sweetland

Monica B.
on 4/7/11 12:39 am - Emery, SD
BEWARE OFALL IBUPROFEN AND NSDAID products.
Too strong for our pouches.
Vicodin is great for us. Gentle and it works. Hey if you can get a script and you don't want it, I'll take it for hubby. Looks like another month of fighting with that new doctor in MA VA and her not wanting to renew his script unless he comes in NOW for an app. I explained to two nurses that we aren't coming up now, I lied, yeah yeah. We made an app with this witch for end of June. John had made an emergency room visit in Feb for fasting blood work, BP check to comply with her change of rules. She hasn't even bothered to check the test results or report them to him. She demands a narcotic contract, told her nurses send us the contract and we will sign them. Praying she will fill the Vicodin so Hubby can function phyically and emotionally for the next month. As soon as she fills it, PLEASE GOD PLEASE, we can make app here for new primary care, set up mental health, eye, foot, ortho, dental, and anything else he needs.
I know you came to us for guidance and ranted at you. I need prayers and support to get me thru this battle again.
Thanks Monica

Eileen Briesch
on 4/7/11 5:29 am - Evansville, IN
I take only vicodin for pain and, yes, it is OK for RNY patients. I have severe arthritis in back and knees (and a failed knee replacement, so I doubt if I'll have another one). I was told not to take NSAIDs; however, if you have to, take it along with something like prilosec. That's what my doc told me when I had to take celebrex for awhile. (Oh, and celebrex did nothing for my inflamed patellar tendon, either.)

Eileen Briesch

lap rny 6-29-04

[email protected]

shelto1946
on 4/8/11 4:42 am
Rudie,

Just got on the site today and saw your post; hope this gets to you. 

I have taken Tylenol without problems for short periods of time (1-2 days) and now for knee pain I take Aleve(naproxen), but I am not certain whether Aleve is considered an NSAID.  I have to be careful of these meds due to kidney problems, so I use them very sparingly.  Have never taken Vicodin.  If prescribed, I'd check with my nephrologist first for advice and then see about taking the smallest possible dose. 

One thing I have learned is that I must advocate for myself regarding pills, because many doctors have no idea that some of those humungous tablets they try to give us are too darn big to go down easily and may cause dumping.  Also the issues of absorption, given our compromised stomach. 

My sympathies about dental problems.  Had a bout of this last fall, am still financially in the hole from it and more to come this year! 

Isn't this site a great help?  I try to come every day for inspiration, hope, and humor. 

Best,

Judy G from Waltham, MA (aka Shelto1946)
Rudie2
on 4/9/11 1:23 am - South Sound, WA
To all of you amazing folks who have answered my plea for information regarding anti-inflamation drugs. I finally broke down and called my RNY surgeon's office in Portland. The answer is NO anti-inflamation drugs at all. Never. Never. Never for us RNY people. Our prissy pouch people are too delicate. What we can take is Tynolol. (I had to laugh at the idea of me being delicate.) But we can take pain meds - Vicodin and Hydrocodone are OK. And possibly more. I'm going to be very up front with all my MD's and Dentists and keep repeating all the polite "NO"s, "I can't take that", to be my own best advocate.

I think stomach ulcers from Ibuprofen, Advil, Asprin and all the others would be many times worse than the current pain. My original premise going through RNY was being thin or at least trim was worth almost any inconvenience or sacrifice. And that still holds true for me after 4 years. I'm up about 15- 20 pounds right now which is coming off.

Bless you all for taking time and effort to share your valuable information with me and offering hope and encouragement. As I said this group Rocks!

Rudy the Round
Most Active
Recent Topics
Gone but not forgotten
Jani · 0 replies · 363 views
Happy New Year, Friends!
GrammySusan · 3 replies · 1161 views
Judy
Ready2goNOW · 0 replies · 1167 views
MY PC WAS HACKED!!!!
Judi123 · 2 replies · 1107 views