ALOPECIA - hair loss after the hair loss ;-)

Lisa J.
on 9/27/11 4:18 am - OK
I'm 28 months post-op so I've had my fair share of hair loss/thinning in the first year with normal regrowth.

However, having taken on significant changes with my elderly parents and a new relationship (yay!) I am a little thinned out in other places as well ;-)

I've had stress related alopecia before, around 1999. That was a small 50 cent sized patch completely slick as if it had been surgically shaved into a circle. It grew back almost immediately (never saw one suspicious patch of hair anywhere, it obviously came out sort of singly but still in a circular area).

It was pretty surprising, when I first discovered that first patch years ago, above my left ear, I was shocked, but was pretty nonchalant about it. After all it covered pretty well.  I then had another one, pretty insignificant too.

Now I'm on the downside of 54 and like I said, with parental issues, and probably hormonal as well (however, I'm on the Mirena IUD which might have disguised my menopause?) and I'm left with a HUGE missing spot of hair right at my crown that seems to be growing. Although my PCP agreed and thought my initial concern was stress related, that was several months ago and now that it's bigger, I have a new appointment to be seen 11/7. 

I've read the treatments for alopecia areata, which in my opinion seems to be the diagnosis (although of course I'm no MD, thank you internet!) and I'd be willing to try the steroidal injections if that will be the treatment, since I can try that immediately and especially since I've had steroids off and on in my life for allergies (and cottonwood just about ready to blow here anyway, as well as ragweed) and know that I usually don't have any side effects from it, I'm willing to try.

I'm not that horrified by it, frankly, but am going shopping for a 'piece of hair' this afternoon so I have a little more to work with for a wedding this weekend. Boyfriend's daughter and I am meeting all of the family including ex, so don't want to A) look like a bald mess or B) look stupid with fake hair. Hopefully I can find something not too far off my own color and although it won't be real hair (which I've considered locking extensions but awfully spendy) perhaps I can play with it a little.

I guess my question is, have any of you experienced this type of hair loss? I am prepared to have a full panel of blood work done, not just the typical CBC, to see if there's other stuff going on, and I guess I can only wait til those results happen. Here's what is recommended:
· DHEA, Testosterone, Prolactin, Follicle Stimulating and Leutinizing Hormone · DHEA-Sulfate · Androstenedione · Free Testosterone · Total Testosterone · Thyroid Tests: T-3, T-4, and Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH) · Iron · Serum Ferritin · Hemoglobin/Hematocrit or CBC (Complete Blood Count) · TIBC (Total Iron Binding capacity) » Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH) Please let me know what you've experienced both in loss, treatment and coverage in the meantime. Thanks!!
Lisa J
HW: 277   Day of Surgery: 234    CW: 161 Goal: 135 sounds good but....? Who knows!

HW/277   EVAL/260  PREOP/246  SURGERY DAY/243   CW/162 1/3/2011
susandoeshair
on 9/27/11 4:44 am - Alexander, AR
Hi Lisa,
Sorry I don't have first hand knowledge about alopecia areata, but as a hairdresser with 30+ yrs experience, I do know a bit about it.
Yes, stress does set it off, and it usually happens in the same spott every time. It's no fun, for sure, and it doesn't sound like your stress level is going to decrease any time soon. I have not heard of the steroid injections, so if you decide to do them, would you let me know how the treatment works for you? I'd be interested to know.

Take care!

Susan

Lisa J.
on 9/27/11 6:29 am - OK
Thanks Susan, I will for sure!
Lisa J
HW: 277   Day of Surgery: 234    CW: 161 Goal: 135 sounds good but....? Who knows!

HW/277   EVAL/260  PREOP/246  SURGERY DAY/243   CW/162 1/3/2011
Most Active
Recent Topics
Gone but not forgotten
Jani · 0 replies · 371 views
Happy New Year, Friends!
GrammySusan · 3 replies · 1169 views
Judy
Ready2goNOW · 0 replies · 1177 views
MY PC WAS HACKED!!!!
Judi123 · 2 replies · 1115 views