I'm 7 years out BUT need help for my MOM (Advice)

FinallyFit
on 11/18/11 2:54 am
Hey all you fabulous over 50 folks. I'd like to encourage my mom to get the lap band or possibly RNY (like me!) I don't think she thinks she's big enough but I really wanna help her.

She's 57 and I think she'd do great with the lap band. Anybody here around that age that can lend a perspective? 

I know she'd like to re-marry after losing my wonderful Dad at a young age (he died at 60) and she feels her weight is standing in her way. I'd like her to get on top of it and lose some so she can realize her dream of marrying again before she gets too old. She feels all the men judge her on her weight as men are visual creatures : )

THANK You so much!
Molly

Just_Jane
on 11/18/11 3:45 am - Plymouth, MI
 Hi Molly,

Has she tried losing on her own?  Do you exercise with her?  Share the food skills you have learned?  This is still major surgery and I hesitate to suggest it except as a last resort for the morbidly obese.  Does she have related health issues?

As to being judged by men on weight, I thought so too, until I saw how many ladies on here were fat and then married, or got fat while married.  Hmmm.

Your heart is in the right place, but I say let her decide how she wants to treat her body.  

Best wishes on YOUR journey
FinallyFit
on 11/20/11 3:56 am
Oh, how I wish we lived close!

I guess you could say my mom got fat while married for all those years. My dad was always fit and so handsome and adored my mom. So, she's really attracted to athletic, fit guys (like my dad) and she's not in shape.

During caring for my Dad with early onset alzheimer's she self-medicated with shopping, internet, food, ect. so she's gained more weight.

I KNOW this surgery is a HUGE deal because I went all the way to Mexico to have mine done. My mom came along as my support person.

My mom's a PhD and a really smart chick. I'm confident that she'll figure out her life. It's just that I'm so sad to see her lonely and rejected by all the men she dates (she meets them online and they never like her in person but love her on email, ect.)

I've been here since 2002, I just like to pretend I am NEW!

dwpersel
on 11/18/11 6:32 am - Fredericksburg, VA
Molly,

She and her Doctor would have to make the decision if she wants to pursue WLS. I can only speak for myself. I had my Lap-Band surgery when I was 54 and was morbidly obese, type 2 diabetic and used a CPAP. Fast forward 4 1/2 years 120 pounds down, still a type 2 diabetic and still have to use a CPAP. In spite of still being diabetic and using a CPAP, I would definitely recommend WLS for your mom if that's what she wants.

I hope this helps. Also note that I became a Zumba instructor as well as an Aqua instructor at the Y and couldn't believe the changes in my energy levels even at this "age".

Diana

FinallyFit
on 11/20/11 3:57 am
Wow, thank you Diana. Great insight! I really appreciate you taking the time to write. That goes for everyone on this forum. : )
(deactivated member)
on 11/20/11 12:55 am
FinallyFit
on 11/20/11 3:49 am
Wow! That's so cool. Love is beautiful at any age.

My mom and dad were madly in love for almost 40 years. My mom was a 16 year old little hottie when she snagged my dad and now she is just so lonely!!! So, she's WAY out of the dating scene since losing my dad to early onset Alzheimer's.

My heart is just breaking for her. Mostly because she wants a relationship so bad and really misses my dad. We all do. : ( 

Anyway, thanks for your input everyone.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Gone but not forgotten
Jani · 0 replies · 368 views
Happy New Year, Friends!
GrammySusan · 3 replies · 1167 views
Judy
Ready2goNOW · 0 replies · 1175 views
MY PC WAS HACKED!!!!
Judi123 · 2 replies · 1114 views