What's up? Monday Morning Politics Free Zone. . . .

karen C.
on 1/22/12 6:52 pm, edited 1/22/12 6:53 pm - Kennewick, WA
I'll be back in a minute.

Karen C

karen C.
on 1/22/12 7:04 pm - Kennewick, WA

Saturday a warm Chinook wind arrived to take much of our snow away. There is always a danger of it melting too fast and causing flooding, but so far so good.

I'll keep my politics to myself. I don't mind in person discussions on any topic with someone that I know well, but don't reli**** on line. So I am leaving the topic on the very back burner.

I spent the last 2 days finishing covering 4 bar stools and then a rocker seat cover. I had just about every tool from the garage in the kitchen on the counter by the time I finished. This was my first real upholstery attempt. I learned a lot and I think they look pretty nice.

I think I have a sinus infection. We leave for Hawaii in a bit over 2 weeks so I'll watch it and get to a doctor before we go if necessary. I hate the beginning of the year with deductibles. Our insurance has upped our copays and deductibles so much the past couple of years.

Nothing else much. I'm available to sub all of this week so I am sure I'll be pretty busy.

I did go to see "Joyful Noise". A bit of a chick flick but kind of cute. I enjoy Latifah. So talented and has succeeded in a world which often doesn't appreciate "women of size" for their talents.

Make it a good day everyone. Treat the people in your world with respect and kindness and do the same to YOU!

Karen C

lightswitch
on 1/22/12 8:24 pm

Karen,

I am with you on the board being political and I like to add religion free too.  But, I lost the battle a long, long, long time ago.  As far as religion goes, logic seems to fly out of the window…but politics can be logically and ethically discussed and even though most will not change their views, most cannot deny where their party fails and I speak of my own party too. So, I, too, will say hell yeah, let's keep this as neutral as possible.  

Today will be a huge work day.  I am designing a graduate course for the business students--PhD.  The deans want me to come up with a Professional Development course that will address writing the dissertations and the job materials from cover letter to CV and course materials.  I meet with the graduate deans, chairs, and faculty today.  There's a standing joke that only Dr. J can send an email to the chair of marketing and ask him what the hell he means and the chair run to her office to explain himself.  Well, the truth is, I didn't know he was the chair nor did I know he had a reputation for being somewhat of a bad ass, but he sent me a proposal to look over for him (a proposal for a 3 and half million dollar chair for a new faculty position), and I read it and it was horrible and I had to rewrite it but before I rewrote it, I sent him an email and said, I cannot make heads or tails out of this and have no idea what the hell you are wanting and what your justification for the unknown is.  He came running to my office and he and I drank coffee while I gave him the heads up on writing a proposal.  We got the chair.  So, he is in my corner for everything that I do.  But, the joke still floats around the college. HEHE.

Anyway, that's my big thing today, meetings and more meetings.  I hate the beginning of the semesters.  

Well, gotta run.  Grab a cup before heading to the shower.  I think my gobble neck has started leaving me.  Seriously, I think it is the special treatment that I have been giving my neck and face and my skin has toned up and nope, not gaining weight so it's really going.  I do still have a little wrinkle along the bottom of my throat that looks like saggy panty hose around the ankle but it is weigh down low and not very noticable.

Necks, who the hell would have thought mine would have given me so much hell. 

Laureen S.
on 1/22/12 7:24 pm - Maple Shade, NJ
Good Morning Karen, OFFr Friends,

Reading about your upcoming trip to Hawaii makes me a bit jealous, as it is on my bucket list and someplace I really hope to get to one day, it's a trip I must make one day so I can spread my Mom's ashes around, as it was her favorite place that she ever traveled to, she loved it so much she went 3x and swore one day she would be a bag lady there because she would not be able to live there any other way (lol). . . take care of that sinus infection so you can enjoy your trip.

I want to thank everyone of you for your thoughtful and kind comments to my post last week, it means a lot knowing that I have the strength of your thoughts and prayers and yes, I am stronger than I sounded in that post, but I was in the processing mode and needed to share my feelings of vulnerability with people who, while I've not met the bunch of you, I know by virtue of the things we share here, that I can get support in my process.  I am feeling better about things today, much better. . .

I spent the weekend mostly relaxing with my Roxie girl, did try a new Jillian recipe that came out awesome, as well as a new baked french toast recipe from the Eat What You Love cookbook that I got for Christmas and shared those things with my roommates.  Tony came down and we hung out and in between it all I played a lot of WWF (words with friends).  So as I go off to work this morning, it is well rested that I am.

For any and all of you facing any of the more serious life challenges, I wish you peace and strength and send my positive thoughts for all of us. . .

Hugs, Laureen

My Mantra is that I do not determine my success by the number hanging in my closet, nor will I let the scale determine that success either. . .  It is through trial and error I will continue to grow and succeed. . .  Laureen

"Success is a journey, not a destination."  Ben Sweetland

karen C.
on 1/22/12 11:08 pm - Kennewick, WA
Roxie, Tony, home cooking, HOME. . . the perfect prescription! Glad to hear you are getting your mind around you medical exam. I know you'll be glad to have the followup and find out exactly what you can do to help any of these genetic "glitches." Do you get your painting all done? I'm still waiting for a phone call. Our teachers' retirements, and social security take care of our "needs" my subbing helps to supplement my travel urge!

Karen C

Laureen S.
on 1/22/12 11:25 pm - Maple Shade, NJ
Painting. . .  mostly done, but that is where Bert, while a gay man, is nonetheless a man. . .  never quite follows through and completes things in the manner a "paid" professional would, the old adage of the shoemaker's children having no shoes comes to mind here and so the touch up stuff is not completed, but things are mostly done, nothing in life is perfect and so I let go of the things I am unwilling to do myself and practice acceptance and tolerance to the best of my ability, one of the things I tease him about is the fact that it is just my luck to have a gay roommate who is not an obssessive complusive about house things. 

Aah retirement, wonder some days if that will ever be a possibility, to do so and be able to enjoy some of the post-retirement things I see others enjoy, so much loss when it comes to my 401k and the way the economy is very slowly recovering, my prospects of enjoying a full recovery of what was lost to me, including the value of my home, which is very much in doubt these days, does not give me a great measure of hope, but today is all we got and for today, I can hope, but there is a bit of envy in me for those who have "pensions", "2nd incomes" and the like, yet truth be told, we all know there are no guarantees and so I do not envy in such manner as to not be happy for any who have managed to plan life better than I have (lol).  I just hope I can stay employed at least until I reach 66 years of age, which is a mere decade away. . .  I imagine, I will always work on a part time basis, as since various times without working has taught me the value of the sociability factor that employment offers, but I would rather it be a want then a need.

Enjoy your travels and I shall live vicariously through them. . .  ;)

Hugs, Laureen

My Mantra is that I do not determine my success by the number hanging in my closet, nor will I let the scale determine that success either. . .  It is through trial and error I will continue to grow and succeed. . .  Laureen

"Success is a journey, not a destination."  Ben Sweetland

Patricia R.
on 1/22/12 7:26 pm - Perry, MI
 Good Morning Karen,
Hawaii?  Awesome.  That is my absolute dream trip.  My son and his wife were there a few years ago.  Her parents have a timeshare deal thingy, and they took their son and my son and daughter-in-law with them.  All my son had to do was pay for airfare and car rental.    Right now, my son is in Orlando with his wife.  She is still on tour with Les Miserables, and he surprised her by flying down there.  He sent me a picture of him doing the back float in the pool, and he had the pool all to himself.  I am green with envy right now.

Today, I get a visit from the nurse again.  Also, a sweet friend from church is coming over to help me around the apartment.  Now sure what she wants to work on, but I welcome any help at this point.  My AA sponsor brought me food last night.  She made homemade sauce, and brought pasta and a cheese  pastry, which I will give to the friend from church.  She has a couple of kids and a hard working husband, so I am sure it will get eaten.  I had a couple of bites, but it is really rich.

I appreciate you suggesting this thread be politics free, Karen.  The reason I come here is weight loss surgery support.  I will speak up, if it is brought up, like yesterday, but I prefer to keep my politics off the forums that are specific to my socia support.

Huggles,
Trish

Seek always to do some good, somewhere. Every man has to seek in his own way to realize his true worth. You must give some time to your fellow man. For remember, you don't live in a world all your own. Your brothers are here too.
Albert Schweitzer

karen C.
on 1/22/12 11:17 pm - Kennewick, WA
This will be our first trip to Kauai. I've been to Maui. Our 40th anniversary was in December. I think we deserve to celebrate hanging in there! We're taking our daughter along as a break from her 3 little ones. Should be a great relaxing trip. Mike won't have to do anything her doesn't want to do. We have 3 seats together so we can switch up and get in and out whenever we need to.

Karen C

Monica B.
on 1/22/12 7:39 pm - Emery, SD
Morning all. Sober 448 days and so proud of me.
I respect the request for a politics free zone, so I will not post my opinions or any info on upcoming events that may relate. We are an online family and since I treasure each of you in my life I want to remain here and share my journey.
Still holding my weight at 160, but I do feel a bit flabby around my upper middle. Will work at the new gym to firm that area up. My arms and legs are jello with all the extra skin, but surgery is not an option for me....way too many surgeries in my 64 years. I did a great series of leg and arm exercises in the pool yesterday, I really enjoy that.
Happy with the football games and that the Super Bowl will be between my 2 favorite teams.
Took Yoda for a late walk after the Giants game and the night sky was spectacular. Orion was so big and Venus so bright.
Begining to make plans for our trip to Montana in late summer. We will not take the RV, but will drive out there and make our son's apartment our home base for about 2 months. Hoping to see alot of the northwest.
So glad Trish is home with Utley and taking good care of herself. Prayers for Connie and Nancy. I keep all of you in my heart and ask our Lord to keep each safe.
Enjoy the Monday, Monica

karen C.
on 1/22/12 10:59 pm - Kennewick, WA

Monica, How far into the Northwest? I'd absolutely love it if you and John would come through here. Washington is beautiful in the fall!

Karen C

Most Active
Recent Topics
Gone but not forgotten
Jani · 0 replies · 362 views
Happy New Year, Friends!
GrammySusan · 3 replies · 1161 views
Judy
Ready2goNOW · 0 replies · 1167 views
MY PC WAS HACKED!!!!
Judi123 · 2 replies · 1107 views