Thankfulness (this is excellent)

Debbiejean
on 11/1/12 7:23 am - Shelbyville, MI

Hi OFF family, great blog by my Eating Coach, thought we call could benefit from this one! Debbie  

Thankfulness

Posted: 01 Nov 2012 01:55 AM PDT

Happy November 1!  It blows my mind that we are closing in on another holiday season!!

Yesterday, it struck me like a bolt of lightening that we have a lot to be thankful for.  On my part, I have a job I love.  A  family full of people I not only love but also like.  More than enough food...a warm house...more than 1 pair of shoes...the list is really, really too big to put here...

And yet, what does our society teach us to focus on?  Lack.  Don't have enough health.  Not enough money.  Certainly enough time (are you kidding me?  We have never had any more time than this!  Why is it we don't think we have enough??  Why don't we get frustrated we have too many great ways to spend our time, instead?) 

Start paying attention to what's on TV.  Start to notice how many times commercials use the subtle message of lack....constantly reinforcing the idea that you don't have enough....aren't good enough....

Well, I'm tired of it!!  Yes, these are challenging times.  We see bad stuff on the news all the time.  But I'm here to say "So what?!"  We are blessed.  We could all sit down tonight and be able to fill a sheet of notebook paper with things we are thankful for.  (comfy socks, anyone?)

And thankfulness is the best antidote to feeling lack.  Not enough health in your life?  Well take a look around you.  You won't have to look that hard to find someone worse off than you.  Right now, you have the ability to read this!  That means your eyes and your brain are communicating -- that right there should be enough.  You're blessed enough to have electricity to read this.  You are likely to be sitting some place warm right now. 

I'd like to propose you spend the month of November mindfully being thankful for all of the blessings in your life.  For every opportunity to eat.  For every drink of clean water.  For every opportunity to sit down on your couch in the evening and every time you walk to your desk at work.

You are here.  You have the ability to appreciate the good things in your life.  You have the ability to change those things that aren't working for you.

We are blessed.  If we can spend the next 30 days remembering that, how much might it change our compulsive holiday eating?  Hmmmmm......food for thought.

Connie D.
on 11/1/12 7:59 am

Debbie...what a great post...thank you so much!!

I think being thankful for you and your helpful posts. I am changing my compulsive eating habits. I had to stop at the store for some cheese. Of course right there was a huge display of Halloween Candy 75% off. I put two bags of my favorites in my cart. I walked down the aisle...turned around...put them right back on the shelf!! I am home and feel so proud of myself. I did buy some more fruit and fresh vegetables too!

Between your "Thankful Thread" and Vickie's I just might make it this time!!

HUGS....connie d

Debbiejean
on 11/1/12 8:23 am - Shelbyville, MI

Wow Connie that is wonderful...you turned around and threw those damn bags of candy back where they belong.

Now they aren't in your house calling your name!

I'm putting out a challenge for everyone to get rid of the Halloween candy today. Send it home to the grandkids! Take it to a homeless shelter.

Judy G.
on 11/2/12 12:31 am - Galion, OH

Great post!!!! Will see how I can deal with it...so mad at myself for eating all this JUNK and gaining the weight back!!! GRRRRRRRRRR

HUGS

Kathie L.
on 11/2/12 2:27 am - Castaic, CA

I begin every day by getting up early and taking a long walk before work. This time of year I see the stars in the morning sky and then the glimpse of sunlight gently rising over the hills with praise in my heart that I'm able to walk and enjoy this day. 5 years ago I was 100 lbs. overweight and not able to walk. Today I walk with complete gratitude for the restoration of my health. I'm excited for the future. Life is GREAT!

Thanks to all of you for your posts and support all these years. Love to you all!

California Kathie
RNY - 10/07
Rt. Hip Replacement - 4/08
Upper Body Lift - 11/08 (Dr. Timothy Katzen)
Lower Body Lift - 3/09 (Dr. Timothy Katzen)
Most Active
Recent Topics
Gone but not forgotten
Jani · 0 replies · 362 views
Happy New Year, Friends!
GrammySusan · 3 replies · 1161 views
Judy
Ready2goNOW · 0 replies · 1167 views
MY PC WAS HACKED!!!!
Judi123 · 2 replies · 1107 views