From My Eating Coach...another way to think about food/Thanksgiving

Debbiejean
on 11/21/12 5:43 am - Shelbyville, MI

Okay, this advice is for my friends dealing with food issues and way out post op! I will pass on the green bean casserole. I don't really care for pumpkin pie but I will have the turkey, mashed potatoes and stuffing, stick to real veggies and fruit. We are having a potluck here at work with lots of good food. Hugs and Happy Thanksgiving! Debbie

Do you love green bean casserole 3 times as much as you like green beans?

Posted: 21 Nov 2012 02:11 AM PST

Well, do you?  This is an important question because it is very likely you will run into this dilemma tomorrow.

And why 3x as much, you may ask?  Because green bean casserole has 3x's the calories than regular green beans.  If you love it that much -- it's totally worth it.  If you don't, here an opportunity to cut back on your holiday calorie intake.

Me?  I can easily do without green bean casserole.

I can pass up the pumpkin pie too -- but not the homemade, real whipping cream.  So I have some of that on a plate....without the pie.

Salad tomorrow?  I don't think so.  I can have a salad any day of the week -- unlike stuffing.  Or the fruit salad that has dates, maraschino cherries, and some other stuff (that obviously isn't as important to me as the dates and cherries) all held together with more whipping cream (NOT Cool Whip).  That's on my plate, for sure!

Tomorrow isn't real eating (thank goodness!).  It's holiday eating - which means you can pick and choose.  You don't have to eat your veggies.  You don't have to clean your plate.  You can eat dessert first (unless your mom's watching).

Practice eating what you like, taking the time to taste it, and most importantly, being mindful of the company your keeping -- it's not often the focus of our day gets to be spending a meal with those we love.

Connie D.
on 11/22/12 12:14 am

Debbie....turkey is my favorite so I know I will be having that. I will have my usual tablespoon of green bean casserole, any more then that is too rich. I don't like anything pumpkin and I really don't care for pies so I am good there too. Stuffing is my downfall!! I will have to be careful with that!!

Happy Thanksgiving.....love and hugs....connie d

Debbiejean
on 11/22/12 6:28 am - Shelbyville, MI

I've done great today, no green bean casserole! LOL

I did eat a tiny piece of pumpkin pie without the crust.

Now I'm at work and we truly have Thanksgiving dinner all set up in the lounge. I'm gonna stay out of that room! Peg made Homemade Hawaiian bread...breads are my downfall along with stuffing too Connie!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Gone but not forgotten
Jani · 0 replies · 368 views
Happy New Year, Friends!
GrammySusan · 3 replies · 1167 views
Judy
Ready2goNOW · 0 replies · 1175 views
MY PC WAS HACKED!!!!
Judi123 · 2 replies · 1114 views