My quinoa and kale recipe

poegirl100
on 2/11/16 11:10 am - Cibolo, TX

So, this is a good side dish, but we eat it as a main dish, too.  I don't know how to tell y'all about the grains I use.  My grocery store sells little packages of grain combinations, right next to the rice.  One of them is a red quinoa and bulgar wheat combo.  That's what I use in this dish.  I have to assume that most major grocery chains now cater to the whole grain crowd and have similar products.  Anyway, here it is:

QUINOA AND KALE HOT DISH

2 TB butter

2 TB olive oil

1 c. chopped onion

1/2 c. chopped celery

1/2 c. chopped carrot

1 bunch of kale, washed, de-stemmed, and chopped

1 1/2 c. of whole grains (red quinoa and any other grains you like)

4 c vegetable broth

S&P  (I seasoned mine with garlic salt and red cayenne pepper, but use whatever seasonings you like.)

Balsamic vinegar!

In large pot, heat butter and olive oil.  Add onion, carrots and celery.  Saute over med heat until onion begins to turn translucent.  Add in chopped kale (it will wilt down quickly) and stir to coat with oil.  Add veggie broth and seasonings, cover and cook about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.  

Now comes the most important part:  dish up quinoa and liberally sprinkle with balsamic vinegar before serving.  It really just isn't the same without the balsamic vinegar dressing.  

This will keep several days in the refrigerator and just gets better and better!

Vickie 

lightswitch
on 2/11/16 12:10 pm

OMG, Vic, this sounds amazing and I will be picking me up some kale today. 

I was in the health food store and bought a container full of kale that was sort of fired or dried...it was like chips.  I loved it so I am going to get enough Kale to try and make the chips too.  

(deactivated member)
on 2/15/16 2:40 pm

I've made Kale chips before.  Very time consuming and little product.  Never tried it again.  Maybe you are more ambitious than I am.

Connie D.
on 2/11/16 2:35 pm

Hi Vickie....this sounds really good. I will try to make it. What can I substitute for Kale. I just don't care for it. I like spinach a lot???

Love and more hugs....connie d

poegirl100
on 2/11/16 2:42 pm - Cibolo, TX

Oh, yes, Connie!  Any leafy greens would work just fine.  Let me know what you try and if you like it.

Vickie 

Connie D.
on 2/11/16 3:01 pm

Vickie....I will let you know!!

HUGS....connie d

Most Active
Recent Topics
Gone but not forgotten
Jani · 0 replies · 368 views
Happy New Year, Friends!
GrammySusan · 3 replies · 1167 views
Judy