Thursday thoughts

Nancy B
on 7/21/16 12:54 am - Niagara-on-the-Lake, Canada

Good morning to all..it is almost 4 am...yup, one of THOSE kinda nights again.

The forecast for today includes a severe heat alert so I am staying inside, making sure that my outside furries all have plenty of shade and water.  Our younger son, Derek, works outside 7 am til 7 pm driving tow truck or flatbed trucks for CAA/AAA...out in the sun mostly.  The same advice for Danny too, as he is outside this week again, working on a jet engine...sheesh!  It is amazing to see the flames streaking out of that engine!

They were over for supper last night so I gave them all the usual "Mommy" advice about staying safe and drinking lots of water and carrying a wet hand towel in a large ziplock baggie to wipe himself down  and keeping cool...we Moms never stop worrying, do we...

My plans for Thursday include more artwork for clients, writing an article on art therapy for seniors with dementia, and working on decluttering my office, an endless job.

Breakfast: protein drink

Snack: yogurt

Lunch: tossed salad with leftover chicken, some nuts and seeds

Snack: unknown

Dinner: halibut filet, steamed bokchoy & sauteed mushrooms, onions and peas

Bedtime Snack: Peanut butter on 3 crackers

This insomnia really screws up my good intentions for getting things done...no matter how LONG I manage to stay in bed, I am still yawning all thru my wake periods. I am due for bloodwork this week so maybe I am anemic again. Back to the iron pills and extra fibre...blech.

Have a safe and happy day!

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
(deactivated member)
on 7/21/16 7:37 am

Good Morning Nancy and others

Insomnia is a bear.  I have fought it for ages.  Interestingly enough the last month or so I have gotten into a different pattern.  I am up until midnight or so then I sleep really well and wake up at 6:13 or 6:14 every morning.  I don't know why so precise but that's my  new pattern.  If I stay around the house there is usually a nap in my future.  If I have things to do I just yawn the afternoon away.

I understand the worry about the heat.  I do NOT tolerate high temps.  I come to WY each summer to get out of the heat and high humidity of Houston.  This year the humidity stayed behind ( 19 per cent in WY), but the dang heat followed me.  It has been I the mid 90"s all week and it is rough.  The sun is so strong I have to wear a hat which I never do.  Hats make me sweat.  I bought a new summer cowboy hat that has vents so its not too bad.  In the shade it is ok and at night it is peasant even when temps are in the high 80's.  I had a couple of bananas to get rid of so I baked banana bread at 11:00 last night.  Didn't want to heat up the kitchen earlier.

Today's eats

Breakfast :  bagel with peanut butter

Lunch: half of  what ever I can find on the road.  Will share with hubby.

snack: small piece of banana bread

Dinner:  chicken or fish with veggies

That's it for me. 

Patricia R.
on 7/21/16 8:37 am - Perry, MI

Good Morning Nancy and OFF,

I am a disorganized mess.  I can't seem to accomplish anything I set out to do each day.  I discussed ADD  with my therapist this week, and plan to bring it up again next week.  I see my psychiatrist in Pennsylvania in August.

My food today is as follows.

B: sausage and cheese on a croissant.

S: cheese and pretzels

L: Stuffed pepper

S: Yogurt and granola

D: Salmon, corn, green beans

S: Cottage cheese and fruit

I'd appreciate good thoughts and prayers for Franklin.  He's my four year old grandson.  He's had several appointments and tests, at University of Michigan.  It seems he's had acid reflux since birth, with the acid, and food being aspirated into his lungs.  Doc's ordered a chest X-ray to determine what, if any, scarring there is in the lungs.  I almost cried when I heard he's had this since birth.  Depending on what further tests reveal, he might need surgery in the future.  Also, Colleen and Trent have a $10,000 deductible with their medical insurance, and all of these costs are out of pocket.  And, Colleen is still looking for a full time job, with benefits.

Must scoot.

Hugs,

Trish

Seek always to do some good, somewhere. Every man has to seek in his own way to realize his true worth. You must give some time to your fellow man. For remember, you don't live in a world all your own. Your brothers are here too.
Albert Schweitzer

Laureen S.
on 7/21/16 12:27 pm - Maple Shade, NJ

Good Afternoon Everyone,

I know I've been absent again, but if you are on Facebook, you are surely aware that my life has been busy and I went on a vacation, 6 days, 6 states, four women in a Subaru and it was mostly good, well 4 independent women can sometimes conflict with one another, but being adults, we worked it out and came away stronger with more self knowledge.  Anyway, Saturday, July 9th, at around 8 a.m. we headed south and west, first stop was Roanoke, Viriginia, just a stopover, but we walked around the little city of Roanoke and then went to our lodgings, got up in the morning and continued on towards Asheville, NC, where we were going to check out the local artisians and what Asheville had to offer, as well as the Biltmore Estate, we stayed at a nice B&B, though we were on the top floor, that was fun, but at the end of that first day I had logged 30+ flights of stairs, not doable 10 years ago, we spent two days exploring Asheville and then on to our next destination, which was Jonesborough, Tennessee, a little town that hosts a big event each October, known as the International Storytellers Event, it's a weekend where the town bascially closes down, sets up tents, and people from all over the world come to tell and listen to the stories told.  I hope to go back sometime in the next couple of years to attend the actual event, as we got a small sampling, because on Tuesday evenings they have a few resident storytellers who tell their stories in the town's little theater and it was delightful.  We stayed at another B&B, this one known to one of the gals who'd gone to the Storytelling Event last year and the people that run it, were just wonderful.  Our 2nd day we were off to Dayton, Tennessee, which made national news in 1925 for the Scopes Monkey Trial.  Each July they have a renactment of the trial, however, our timing was off on that, but we did visit the Courthouse, including the Courtroom (which remains virtually untouched), and the museum in the basement of the Courthouse that had lots of information on the trial.  We stopped in a local cafe and had lunch, I had a BLT sandwich, it was only $2.45 (1960/70s pricing).  When we got back to Jonesborough, we ordered dinner for everyone, including our hosts and rented Inherit the Wind, which was based on the trial.  The following morning we headed to Grandfather Mountain, NC and onto West Viriginia, where we were heading to Shenadoah Caverns, after that we headed towards home and my one friend, took out the atlas, as she didn't like the route Waze was taking us on and she saw Harper's Ferry along the route and we wound up taking a small detour before finally heading home on the PA Turnpike and arriving home at 9:15 Friday evening.  All in all, we logged lots of miles, many steps and lots of history rich and artistic type moments and well our experience was truly of the bonding nature.

I am happy to say all that walking, making mostly good food choices, I came back with a 2.5 lbs. weight loss and on Tuesday, I began my return to the gym, utilizing my company's onsite gym, with the free consult of a trainer, who I met with prior to my vacation.  My company built a new corporate headquarters and part of their goal is the wellness factor for employees, so it has a gym, not a huge one, but one that is staffed, has classes, all free, except the personal trainers.  Showers, towels, everything one can need and so there are no real excuses, I am an early riser and now I arrive at work by 7 to workout, two days training with cardio, two days just cardio.  I am hopeful that this will aid my WL, as when I had my surgery I was dedicated to working out 4/5 days a week and it helped me lose and it helped me maintain. 

B:  Greek Yogurt with some Special K sprinkled in

S:  Some wheat thins with cherries

L:  Swarma meat and some cous cous and salad

S:  Cherries and watermelon

D:  Basil Chicken and salad

S:  ?

I need to catch up on all your lives. . .

Nancy, stay cool. . . everyone else too, if you are experiencing any of this heatwave.

Laureen

My Mantra is that I do not determine my success by the number hanging in my closet, nor will I let the scale determine that success either. . .  It is through trial and error I will continue to grow and succeed. . .  Laureen

"Success is a journey, not a destination."  Ben Sweetland

Most Active
Recent Topics
Gone but not forgotten
Jani · 0 replies · 368 views
Happy New Year, Friends!
GrammySusan · 3 replies · 1166 views
Judy
Ready2goNOW · 0 replies · 1175 views
MY PC WAS HACKED!!!!
Judi123 · 2 replies · 1114 views