Hi Everyone, the New Year is 3 weeks old today, but Happy belated. . .

Laureen S.
on 1/23/17 1:17 pm - Maple Shade, NJ

So, I was doing something and came upon this link in my favorites and decided to stop by to see who all is here and what you all are up to. . . seems like the board has seen busier days, but then again, we have this life changing surgery to so more then sit behind computer screens and I imagine you are all living the lives you hoped for prior to WLS.

I wanted to say hello and while my life is busy, I often think of the many that were here for me all those many years back when I began researching this option (2006), there were so may people to offer support and information and help me through the hurdles that are a part of this journey.  

I also wanted to share how my life changed for the better (2007/2008) and then how it changed in August of 2013, when my beloved baby brother died, who was more like my first child, since I was 10.5 years older than him and helped my mother raise him.  His cause of death was listed as Obesity related.  I started a new job a month later, so I had to show up and I functioned, outwardly appeared to be handling things, but inwardly I was not doing well, I resorted to an old familiar friend and foe, FOOD; the weight gain was slow, but steady and amounted to 59 lbs., numerous wardrobe changes later and I was full of self loathing by the 3 year anniversary of his death.  In March of last year, my daughters suggested that I might seek some help, they were worried about me and so I began counseling and as a result of that I am doing much better and at the end of the year decided to join Weigh****chers online so that I could get back to a better plan of eating, because honestly I was totally lost.  I am also planning on joining a gym that offers water aerobics each evening at a time I can attend, because of my back and hip issues, I am limited to activities that are not hard on those areas.  Even with just changing my way of eating to one I know is in keeping with healthy and good decisions, I have lost 5 lbs. in the last 3.5 weeks.  I am feeling more in control of my way of eating and doing the things I did well for 5 years post-op, and so feel better about myself.  

Some who will read this know me, others might be, as I did looking in to see what this looks like long-term. . . what I can say is this, this way of life is not easy, it is not without detours for many of us, but the important part of it, will always be to remind myself, that I AM WORTH fighting for, my health and well being are what brought me to this decision to have WLS, I signed on agreeing to do certain things, I did most of them for a long time, then some of them, then I found myself lost, but the most important part is that I FOUND MY WAY back because this journey is just that, a journey, with stops along the way, some are an Oasis and others an Arid Desert, with lots of beautiful experiences to be had.  If anyone reading this has found themselves lost in the manner I have, please know you have the power within you to start over, You're Worth it.

Best wishes to all wherever your life has you today.  Can't say when I'll be back, but I am grateful to the ones on this particular forum, though most no longer come here to post. . .

Hugs, Laureen

My Mantra is that I do not determine my success by the number hanging in my closet, nor will I let the scale determine that success either. . .  It is through trial and error I will continue to grow and succeed. . .  Laureen

"Success is a journey, not a destination."  Ben Sweetland

H.A.L.A B.
on 1/25/17 6:03 am

Hi Lauren...And everyone else. 

Sorry about your brother.  Glad to see you are doing better.  

Life can be messy. And there are times that junk food and gaining weight is the least we want to worry about. Survival.   I've been there ...And before I knew it - I gained 35 lbs..  back pain and gut issues brought me back to reality...

I found a few good docs who helped me to figure out what was going on with me...And slowly got back to my "responsible adult " state - "you are what you eat"... 

I lost the weight...Figured out my back issues are still there...Just not as much...And now I am trying to fix that. And the docs can't tell me "because you are too heavy.." So they need to deal with me.  

My gut issues - I had to change my diet very drastically. Removing a whole group of foods, limiting others...

It was not easy ...But again - once I put the "adult hat on- stop crying and start doing the right things" things really improved. 

I know that I need to practice the "stop whining what you can't do and concentrate on things, foods we can" attitude.., my life got my better... 

Be well.. continue doing what is working. Best wishes...

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Most Active
Recent Topics
Gone but not forgotten
Jani · 0 replies · 371 views
Happy New Year, Friends!
GrammySusan · 3 replies · 1169 views
Judy
Ready2goNOW · 0 replies · 1177 views
MY PC WAS HACKED!!!!
Judi123 · 2 replies · 1116 views