BL/BA -what should I do to prepare my body next month

Tanya L.
on 3/31/09 2:03 am - Lewiston, ME
So I booked my BL/BA surgery for April 29th today.  My 2 week pre-op appointment is April 16th...but I don't want to wait until then to get my body in the best form for surgery and healing.  I am wondering from all you vets what you recommend

1.  I will increase my exercise to be in the best shape I can be
2. Should I start to increase my protein now?  How much protein before and after the surgery to help with healing?
3.  Any particular vitamins I should start taking besides my bariatric advantage multi and calcium?

Any imput would be greatly appreciated.

17 of total pounds lost before surgery

DrL
on 3/31/09 10:12 am - Houston, TX

Hi.  I totally agree with doing cardio and the like baecause you will recover much more quickly if you are conditioned.

Increased protein preop is probably not needed for just a BL/BA, but I do like to do it for TT/LBL.  mainly so i can find out which form of protein patients can tolerate...I like 90 - 100g extra per day.

As for vitamins and supplements, it depends on blood work.  Anemic patients may need B12, folate, iron and Vit C (to allow iron absorption in banded individuals) so I tailor that based on the labs I get ahead of time.

Check with your PS before taking any supplements and be sure theya re not on the list of restricted preop medications.

Best wishes,

John LoMonaco, M.D., F.A.C.S.
Plastic Surgery
Houston, Texas

www.DrLoMonaco.com
www.BodyLiftHouston.com

Tanya L.
on 3/31/09 10:48 am - Lewiston, ME
Thank you for responding!  I am definitely kicking up my cardio and will check with my surgeon about any other recommendations.

17 of total pounds lost before surgery

KathigME
on 3/31/09 11:01 am - Gorham, ME

Hi Dr LoMonaco,

I just wanted to say that, if I was in Houston, you would be the surgeon I would choose!  Are they going to ever have any more episodes on Big Medicine?  I enjoyed watching you!! 

Kathi G.  I LOVE MY RNY!!   
Most Active