Best Scar Treatment - Poll

w8'n no more
on 3/31/09 1:09 pm - middle of, IL
Ok, so I'm allergic to latex.  Well, not really latex, but the adhesive on bandaids, even Latex free ones.  So I can't use the silicone sheets.  So that one is off my list of favorites.  But I'm wondering what are the best scar minimizing creams, lotions, potions, or silicone sheets that you've used and how do you feel your results have been?

I'm using pure E right now.  It is nice and soft LOL!!!!
Kathy
sw/cw/gw
269/136/141
Surgery Date 10/21/05  Dr. Anthone
Aspire to Inspire Before You Expire!
islander
on 3/31/09 2:10 pm - Middletown, RI
I mix it with some Neutrogena cream that the pharmacy recommended.  My surgeon said he didn't think that it was the actual cream that makes a difference, but the massaging it in.

tazfan
on 4/1/09 11:12 am
My surgeon told me the same thing, it is more of the massaging on the scar that breaks it up and minimilizes it.  I used vit e on my arms and tummy, I am very fair skinned and even my surgeon is surprised at how faded my scars are.  From just a few feet away you cannot even see my scars anymore.  Dr. Mariotti was telling me recently that there have been new tests done that show that pure vit e can cause rashes and sores on some people so he now recommends a lotion with vit e added to it to massage the scars with.  I like the vit e because it leaves my skin soft.
thegraduate120
on 3/31/09 2:12 pm
Funny, I have the same question and have ended up in the same place.    I tried the silicon strips - no allergies but they are probably fine for one half-inch scar.   For the length of incisions we have with these procedures, there is so much maintenance.   They fell off, got dirty, got covered with dog hair, need to be cut up and put over all the incisions, cost a lot.    I gave up on them.

I tried various creams and ended up with plain vitamin E oil from Trader Joes.   About the same time I started that, my scars started fading.   Is it the vitamin E or just timing?   I don't know.   I'm about 4 months out and they continue to fade.

A number of people have mentioned using cocoa butter lately.   I'd like to know about that - any reason to think it's better than vitamin E?  

Personally I suspect that time plus moisturizing with any kind of oil has about the same results.  

scrappinghannah
on 3/31/09 8:01 pm - Australia
I am using silicone strips on my arms after surgery in November.  My scars are red and raised and sensitive.

I cover the silicone strips with medical tape.  This keeps them secure, clean and easier to maintain.

Julie
kimtindall
on 3/31/09 9:10 pm - Jacksonville, FL
I have always used the Palmers Cocoa Butter w/ Vit E in the tub for scars. 
I had ulner nerve decompression on both arms and you can barely see the scar now.  I plan on using this daily once my tt incision is completely healed. 

Kim 

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 3/31/09 10:02 pm - OH
I did a little test with my last round of plastic surgery.  I left part of the incisions alone (put nothing on them at all except my usual moisturizer), used Mederma on part , and used Vitamin E oil on other parts.  There is VERY little difference between those areas, but if I had to make an assessment, the areas I put nothing on look the best, the areas I put the Vitamin E oil on look the next best and tghe Mederma areas come in last.  This seems to confirm my PSs belief that the other stuff (including the silicon, which I did not try) are a waste of money.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

BigCityGirl
on 3/31/09 11:54 pm - San Diego, CA

The passage of time is the best scar healer.

Surgeon: Joseph Grzeskiewicz, M.D., F.A.C.S.
La Jolla Cosmetic Surgery Centre
(deactivated member)
on 4/1/09 12:43 am - West Central FL☼RIDA , FL
I've been doing some research myself......

For the creams I've used Mederma (not sure if I'm thrilled with the results on my breasts).  Next week my new surgeon will be giving a cream for my recent surgery (had the arms  done 6 days ago), I'll let you know what he gives me soon as soon as I find out...

I believe I've found what are going to be some good choices for those who use silicone sheets.  They have one piece sheets that cover the entire breast reduction/lift area (wish I had them after mine was done) and they have loooooong ones for larger areas likes the arms, lower body lifts, TT, etc etc.........

http://www.contourmd.com/silicone_sheeting_s/136.htm

http://www.makemeheal.com/mmh/product.do?id=22590&procid=42&catid=544

Ruth

Most Active