drain removed and gained 6 lbs after lbl

corey2renee
on 4/2/09 5:04 am - Cabot, AR
I am on my third week post op.  lower body lift.   I alternate between my binder and spanex usually I do both.  But over the last 4 days (since I got my drain out) I have gained six pounds.  I look like a pot belly pig.  What does this mean what should I do and what is Brolein, sodium and carbs have to do with it???
Any advice for me??
Tee M.
on 4/2/09 5:25 am - CT
Talk to the doctor, you probably need to go in and have some fluid pulled out.

Why is it we all know how to use our tool, but refuse to do it?

BigCityGirl
on 4/2/09 5:53 am - San Diego, CA
Sodium will cause you to swell and retain fluid.  If you can limit your sodium (processed foods, canned foods, restaurant food) then you will be able to better control the swelling.  The weight gain is from swelling - it will come off eventually.  Good luck.
Surgeon: Joseph Grzeskiewicz, M.D., F.A.C.S.
La Jolla Cosmetic Surgery Centre
Kelly V.
on 4/2/09 6:51 am - Galion, OH

Bromelain is a pineapple extract.  If is suppose to help with swelling.  There is also Arnicane (Arnica) and I know of people who have done both.  I have 3 weeks out of a total body lift and I was swelling terribly.  I decided to lower my carbs and take Bromelain to see if it will help.  It will be a week tomorrow and I can tell a difference.  I am not sure if it is the Bromelain or the low carb or a combo.   I do know before I started this I was eating alot of fruit and lean cuisines (still watched the sodium)

Good Luck

(deactivated member)
on 4/2/09 10:41 am - West Central FL☼RIDA , FL
Interesting that you said you thought carbs might causing swelling.  I'm having swelling in my lower arms the 2 days and am not what is causing it but I did eat more than the usual amount of carbs (previously was eating much less carb, much more protein).  I just may flip things tomorrow again....
Kelly V.
on 4/2/09 11:51 am - Galion, OH
Well when I spoke to my nutrionist about a low carb diet she said you do realize that you will lose alot of water weight because carbs cause your body to retain water.  She said notice when you go on the low carb diet you will urinate alot!!  I have no idea if that is true but it has always stuck in my mind.  All I know is when I started eating a lower carb diet my swelling has started to let up.  Maybe it is coincidence =)

Good Luck!!
(deactivated member)
on 4/3/09 1:19 am - West Central FL☼RIDA , FL
Well I'm willing to test the theory....I'm reducing carbs today and will see if it helps.
Thanks again!!!
corey2renee
on 4/6/09 3:41 am - Cabot, AR

I lost 5 pounds over the weekend.  I just took it easy and added pineapple juice to my diet.  I am almost back to normal.  I haven't been able to find Bromelain.  I guess I should check at the health food store.  I am going to watch the carbs this week.  I have really been hungry and craving everything in sight.  I think my body just needs the extra nutrition right now.  I know I need to make sure I am getting enough protein too.Thank you!
Most Active