Need Advice...

kimtindall
on 4/3/09 8:42 am - Jacksonville, FL
I am 6.5 weeks out of a TT and just had my drain removed on Wednesday.  The fluid was mostly clear, but it was still a high level (about 120-140 cc's a day) but my surgeon made the judgement call to take it out since it had been in for so long.  Anyway, the reason for this post is that I am really swollen now and look as though I am pregnant!!  My surgeons office closes early on Fridays and I was wondering if this is something that I should go to the ER for since the weekend is upon us.  I am so inexperienced with this stuff!!  Thanks so much!!!

Kim 

boomer65
on 4/3/09 8:58 am
Kim,

I don't think you need to go to the ER.  Swelling is a big part of the healing process from a TT.  At this stage, the more you do, the more swollen you're going to be.  Have you been really active and/or doing more than you had been because you're drain was removed and you had a sense of "freedom"?

Take it easy over the weekend and rest with your legs elevated and even sleep with a pillow under your knees and see how you feel on Monday.  If you're still really swollen give your PS a call.

I'm 11 weeks post TT with a BL/BA and I had to have my drain removed at just 1 week and then had to get aspirated 2x after that due to fluid buildup.  But now at 11 weeks, my swelling isn't that bad at all and it goes down quite a bit during the night so that when I get up in the morning I look like I thought I was going to when I had a TT.

Rest and relax over the weekend.

Franci

cleos_mom
on 4/3/09 11:35 pm, edited 4/3/09 11:35 pm - phila., PA
don't move around to much keep your legs elevated and stay off of salt . that happenned to me he had to remove the drains because they were in for 3 weeks and he said they had to come out, I had to go back 3 times and he aspirated my belly. it did not hurt at all they stick a needle around your incision line & draw out the fluid, i would call him first thing Monday a.m.
Good Luck to you
kimtindall
on 4/4/09 12:16 am - Jacksonville, FL
Thank you for your advice, it makes me feel so much easier!  I will def call him on Monday morning! 

Kim 

Danielle H.
on 4/6/09 5:43 am - Atlanta, GA
How's it going today?  Mine swelled up too after drain removal but wearing the binder really helped...fresh pineapple is a swelling reducer too.  Along with other things I know people have mentioned here - like bromaline.

You will have some days that it just comes back - my roomie tells me I look prego some days too, but it always resolves itself...

If you're worried, always call the PS, they are there to support you through your journey!

High Weight 260, Surgery Weight 218,  Lowest Weight 156, CURRENT WEIGHT 177, Goal Weight 140

Breast Lift /Back Lipo 10/2008
LBL (Belt Lipectomy with Fluer de lis cut TT) 2/27/09
www.advancedobesitysurgery.com (Dr. Dennis Smith)
www.gaplasticsurgery.com (Dr. Sheldon Lincenberg)

kimtindall
on 4/7/09 8:11 pm - Jacksonville, FL
I went to see the surgeon yesterday for a debridement on an area that had a reaction from the surgical tape.  When he started cleaning the skin and made a small hole, the flood gates let go!  LOLOL  My tummy almost instantly went flat again!  I soaked the bed that I was on as well as myself from all of the fluid.  At least I dont have to get this sucker aspirated with the hole there!  LOLOL  I know that you arent suppose to feel it, but the thought of the needle sends shivers down my spine! 
I am now packing the hole and putting a doubled maxi pad over it for the draining, which I replace about 3 times a day.  I can not believe all of this fluid that I still have at 8 weeks! 
I asked the surgeon if he thought that I would need another JP Drain, but he assured me NO. 
I am finally going back to work today after talking my surgeon into it.  I am doing it on a trial basis this short week because of the wound care and leakage. 

Kim 

Most Active