Questions about drains...

cbhjr98
on 4/6/09 5:58 pm
Reading all the posts for the last several months, I'm still very confused on what is "normal" as far as drains go. For instance, my surgeon for my LBL puts 8-9 drains in - small ones - and they are all out within a week. On the other hand, here in Germany it is unheard of to leave the surgical center in less than a week post-op or with drains. The complication rates (separations, etc) are less than 5% here compared to the average 30% with this type of procedure. I am convinced the extended time under forced hospitalization has a lot to do with it.

Anyways, back to my drain question - I see people keeping their drains for a long time. Who else has had a TT/LBL and had all their drains out in less than a week?  I started with 9 drains after surgery on Thursday. Saturday he took 4 out, Monday 3 more. I have 2 left that were draining approx 45-55cc/daily yesterday but he thinks those will be coming out today (5 days post op). He doesn't discharge anyone with drains still in. Anyone else have their drains out this soon?

Thanks,

Cass

Starting BMI under 45? Join us on The Lightweight Board. 
HW:257ish / SW:205 / CW:110.4 / GW:119.99
Danielle H.
on 4/7/09 12:17 am - Atlanta, GA
Hey Cass- You have to remember that every dr has their own philospohy about what heals the body, etc.  So you could definitely have more drains and they drain more fluid and then he takes them out....not sure, but if you trust your surgeon, then go with it!  Heck most would love it only 5 days of drains!

My first 2 came out the 4th day.  Next one at a week and the next at 2 weeks...4 total.  I have seen people on here with drains for months though...And I was only in the hospital overnight.

High Weight 260, Surgery Weight 218,  Lowest Weight 156, CURRENT WEIGHT 177, Goal Weight 140

Breast Lift /Back Lipo 10/2008
LBL (Belt Lipectomy with Fluer de lis cut TT) 2/27/09
www.advancedobesitysurgery.com (Dr. Dennis Smith)
www.gaplasticsurgery.com (Dr. Sheldon Lincenberg)

MSHAMO
on 4/7/09 12:18 am - AUBURN HILLS, MI
I left the hospital the next day after surgery with the 3 drains still in. I had 2 drains taken out after 3 weeks and the last drain out at 4 weeks. My PS wants the drainage less than 30 cc daily each. Good luck, you will love your TT. Nancy
High/VSG/Surgeon Goal/My Goal/Current 257/242/170/155/141  I love my sleeve!
5' 3.5"    Plastic Surgeon: Dr. Raymond Hajjar, Bingham Farms, MI   Extended TT, muscle repair, lipo & hernia repair 2/25/09  Direct neck lift and muscle repair  4/14/09  Short scar lower face lift, more neck work and lower bleph 9/15/09
Susan S.
on 4/7/09 1:28 am - Roselle, NJ
 I had 5 drains with the LBL - two came out within 4 days - then three came out 4 days later - all were under 30 ccs.....but one was 28 ccs...and that was the region I developed a seroma in.....Brachioplasty - the drains were out within 4 days and I had no swelling - unusual with that procedure.  Medial thigh lift - the drains came out yesterday - 2 weeks postop - and they were both still putting out over 90ccs per day - but after two weeks they were infiltrating and there was no dropoff regardless of my activity level - if I was down and not moving - or doing a lot of walking - same output.....so we pulled them yesterday - i was expecting my legs to blow up and I have only very minor edema in my ankles......doing so well I actually went back to the gym today.   Longer hospitalizations keep you not moving for longer periods of time - and that has both good and bad outcomes - less swelling because you aren't moving - but can contribute to things like DVTs etc. if you stay in bed too long.   Also - the infection rates are higher here in the states - the longer you're in - the more you're exposed to MRSA and other nasty bugs.....so the philosophy of getting patients out isn't only driven by economic issues (insurers certainly want patients out).....Susan
Obesity Help Support Group Leader - The Woman Warrior
286/170/131 (starting/goal/current)
LBL - 10-30-08, brachioplasty/augmentation 2-26-09, medial thigh lift 3-16-09
Plastics - Dr. Joseph Fodero

286/170/140/131 (starting weight/goal/surgeons goal/current)

LBL 10-30-08 - Joseph Fodero
Brachioplasty/Breast Augmentation - 2=24-09

ng
on 4/7/09 10:53 am - Southwest, LA
I had 4 drains, and left the hospital with only 2 drains.  They came out at office visit, next day.

The complication rate here is extremely low.  I have no idea where you were talking about that has 30%. 
(deactivated member)
on 4/7/09 5:48 pm
Sharon S.
on 4/8/09 10:55 am - Redding, CA
Well, I had a LBL 2-1/2 weeks ago - done in my surgeon's office (surgery suite) - so no hospital stay - went home right after!  I only had 3 drains, and they all came out after 1 week - they never really put out much drainage at all!  I haven't had any complications yet (yay) - no seromas, not much swelling that I can tell, and so far, no problems with the healing.  My first week was somewhat difficult, but I'm feeling pretty darned good now!  Trying not to over do it, but I just went for my first "walk" (around the block).  I was surprised to get the drains out so quickly (relieved, but surprised), and worried alittle that I'd have seromas because of it, but I took it easy and so far, so good!
gypsywoman6789
on 4/9/09 11:07 pm - Hudson, NH
Well as you have been able to pick up from this site, there is a lot of variation regarding how long drains are in.  The biggest thing to consider is that every person heals differently and every surgeon has their own comfort level on how many drains should be in and at what point they consider it acceptable to take them out. 

So I don't think you can put a "normal" label on drains.  I just had my panni removal 3 days ago, I was told I would have 4 drains but only ended up with 2 which made me very happy.  My Dr. also does not remove them until they are putting out less than 30cc per day for at least 3 consecutive days.  My right drain is not producing much but my left drain is producing more so I'm guessing that the right one will be out beforethe left one.  Time will tell.

Good luck and trust your surgeon!
Most Active