Panniculectomy vs LBL Cost and Result Questions

jon1970
on 4/7/09 6:17 am

My insurance just approved a panniculectomy I am scheduled for the end of this month. I am concerned the more I read here it seems them more that I hear that the LBL is the way to go.

How much should I expect to pay for the upgrade?

If I can not swing the LBL should I put off the Panniculectomy until I can afford the LBL? That will be no time soon I am in between jobs and after I start the new postion I will not be able to take time off for a while.

How much recovery time will I need after the panniculetcomy? I have a half marathon and a half ironman scheduled this summer.

Thanks,
Jon

MelissaF
on 4/7/09 7:10 am - Northwood, IA
Hi Jon,

I think everyone is unique on what "needs" to be done for the best effect after surgery.

However, I have spoken with a couple surgeons that agree that the "gold standard" after WLS is a lower body lift because all of us will have SOME skin on our hips and butt and lots on the abdomen (for most of us anyways).  

I am paying 10.6K for my LBL after insurance pays the panni removal.  It is steep but I know it will be worth it.

Good luck with everything.
Hugs, Melissa 

http://www.onetruemedia.com/shared?p=6166c1bf498224d5a8b93e&skin_id=701&utm_source=otm&utm_medium=text_url

RNY- 12/04/06 with Dr. Matt Glasock

LBL - 4/28/09 with Dr. Rene Recinos

DrL
on 4/7/09 2:00 pm - Houston, TX

Hi Jon.  There is a night and day difference between LBL and panniculectomy.  One is cheap, fast, has less recovery, and provides less of a result.  The other is expensive, more involved, and provides the best result.

There are patients happy with both, although if you read through these boards you will find a number of dissatisfied indivudials who got a "panni" and expected a better result.

Now here is where your goals come in: are you a "good enough is best" type person who just wants the overhang gone, or are you expecting more ?  Discuss this with your surgeon so your expectations will be met.  

John LoMonaco, M.D., F.A.C.S.
Plastic Surgery
Houston, Texas

www.DrLoMonaco.com
www.BodyLiftHouston.com

jon1970
on 4/7/09 2:17 pm
Thanks for the response Dr.! I have a couple additional questions. What is the typical cost to upgrade from the panni to the LBL? My understanding is that I do not need the muscle work that my issue is excess skin.

If I can not afford the LBL can I do the panni now if necessary do more later? It seems like the fact that insurance is covering it and I have some time on my hands makes me want to do it now.

What is the typical recovery time for a panni?
DrL
on 4/7/09 2:28 pm - Houston, TX
Hi.  Its hard to say without seeing you, but some pannis may be 100% covered by insurance so your cost (dep on deductible, etc) could be zero.  An LBL can go up to $20,000 depending on what you have done.

Pannis are sometimes hard to revise, and I advise patients to"do it once and do it right."  This is because each month I see folks with pannis who want a revsion.
John LoMonaco, M.D., F.A.C.S.
Plastic Surgery
Houston, Texas

www.DrLoMonaco.com
www.BodyLiftHouston.com
MSHAMO
on 4/8/09 1:14 am - AUBURN HILLS, MI
I was approved for a panni, but I had a lot of skin over my hips. My PS did an extended TT with lipo and muscle tightening for an additional $3,000.00. Turns out I also had a baseball size umbilical hernia that he repaired while he was there. I, also, couldn't afford the extra $10K for a LBL, but am really pleased with my outcome, although I really don't have a lot of extra back skin. Good luck, Nancy
High/VSG/Surgeon Goal/My Goal/Current 257/242/170/155/141  I love my sleeve!
5' 3.5"    Plastic Surgeon: Dr. Raymond Hajjar, Bingham Farms, MI   Extended TT, muscle repair, lipo & hernia repair 2/25/09  Direct neck lift and muscle repair  4/14/09  Short scar lower face lift, more neck work and lower bleph 9/15/09
Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 4/8/09 10:32 pm - OH
There IS an option between just a panni and a full LBL.... you can have a TT that will get rid of the excess skin all over your belly and will re-tighten your abdominal muscles.  It won't get rid of any sagging skin on your butt, etc., but the results are a lot better than with just a panni.

You CAN do the panni first and then do another procedure later.  I had to, but it meant that I had to have a reverse TT (a true "T" shape with the top of the "T" under my breasts instead of an upside down "T") and there are apparently not that many PSs who will do a reverse TT. 

Do whatever you can afford to do and get it over with.  It's easier psychologically AND physically.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Most Active