Creative ways to finance your plastics..............?

Calif_Princess
on 4/10/09 10:25 am - Louisville, KY

Hello everyone!
  I know that I will need some good plastic surgery next year so I was wondering if others paid cash for their surgeries or got it financed or what?  We've been hit hard by the economy so we do not own a house any more and our credit is shot...however we do have a car payment that we've always been current on.  Do you think there's any way anyone would let us finance surgery?  And how much do you think a breast lift (and probably augmentation), arms and lower body lift would cost....$15K, $20K, $30K?
I am a college student (raised my three kids now I'm getting my degree--double majors in creative writing and public policy) and my hubby makes about $60-70K a year.  We've got about 5K in old debt that we will hopefully be able to pay off with in the next year, but is on our credit...  My vehicle, (a 2008 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon) is almost paid off and probably worth $25,000 or so...could I take a loan against that to finance?  I have no clue when it comes to finances and budgeting....Does anyone have any ideas?  I still have 118 pounds to lose but I want to be prepaired for this.  I know I will never be completely happy or confident with myself until I get this stuff done so this is a nessesity for me.  I need some great ideas guys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hope everyone is doing well and has a great weekend!!!!!!!!!

~~Melissa~~
Had my RnY on January 26, 2009!
284 before surgery/ 248 current/ 130 goal
BMI 43.5, 5'7.5"
36 pounds lost so far!!!

~Melissa~
Start 286/Current 265/ Goal 150

kamehanaokala
on 4/10/09 11:27 am - HI

Hi! I found this article helpful when i asked almost the same type of question a while back.

Good luck! I feel the same way about plastic surgery. Its like the icing on the cake. The cherry on the sundae. The beginning to our new life..... 

http://www.plasticsurgerypractice.com/issues/articles/2008-0 7_05.asp 

pandacat
on 4/10/09 1:35 pm - dfw, TX
Hi there - I just had my 1st consult today so I have prices staring me in the face.
Note that I am in TX-I am pretty sure Cali would be more expensive.
For just a LBL, I'm looking at $15,500.
For breast lift & abdominoplasty: $14,200
If we can convince insurance to pay for the BL, $9,100
I've asked them to submit all to insurance with the pics they took today in hopes that they will have pity on me. Dr's office says I will be very lucky if they cover the BL (i'm a 36D in a bra-36 long without it!).
I wish you lots of luck in your weight loss!
vicki

Calif_Princess
on 4/12/09 5:50 am - Louisville, KY
Vivki, do insurance companies pay for breast lifts?  If so, that might save some money.....  What is the abdominoplasty?

~Melissa~

pandacat
on 4/14/09 9:19 am - dfw, TX
I think it all depends on the insurance company. I've heard some peeps on the board have had insurance cover almost all aspects of their reconstructive surgery; of course, others couldn't get them to pay a dime.
The dr I saw works with a lot of weight loss patients. He seemed to think I would be able to get my boobs covered. (probably because the are sooooo low on my chest)
The abdominoplasty is basically a tummy tuck-includes the muscle tightening as well as skin removal. He said mine would go hip to hip-almost to the back.
I always knew I would need to have work done. I've been saving a bit here & there. Not near enough, but every little bit helps.
It just seems sad when you can wear a size 4 pant and still be fat. :(

Continued success!
vicki

BigCityGirl
on 4/10/09 2:08 pm - San Diego, CA
You are right that the economy is bad.  And the banks are tightening credit.  In fact, Capital One, mentioned in the article a posted above, is no longer in the health care lending arena as of April 1st.  And the other main lender, Care Credit is raising the credit score requirements.  I think you will need to repair your credit before you can borrow.  Otherwise you may have to sell the car - don't believe anyone will accept a car as collateral against a health care loan.   Maybe you can get some of it covered by insurance.

In San Diego where I live an LBL is about $15,000, BL and Arms about another $12,000. 

I took a second job to pay for my plastics - four sugeries over the past two years.  Good Luck.

Surgeon: Joseph Grzeskiewicz, M.D., F.A.C.S.
La Jolla Cosmetic Surgery Centre
frankurban
on 4/10/09 3:27 pm - CA

However, also because of the poor economy, fewer people are having elective surgery. Since Plastic Surgeons aren't getting the same number clients, they may be open to a negotiation of fees in some cases.

Calif_Princess
on 4/11/09 2:14 am - Louisville, KY
*sigh* I'm afraid I'll have to walk around looking like an abomination....  My husband works on commission for GM (he's a technician) so where he used to make $5K - $6K month, we're lucky if he bring in $2K now.  We've lost almost everything, including our credit rating.  Maybe I can take the summer off of school and get a job at Starbucks.  I think at minimum wage that will take forever.  :O(

~Melissa~

MelissaF
on 4/11/09 4:37 am, edited 4/11/09 6:00 am - Northwood, IA
I can feel your pain princess .. really I can.

I started looking at plastics a year ago and said no way can it ever happen nor would anyone support me b/c in clothes I look fine and of coarse they will think I am doing this for vanity reasons which is far from the truth after losiing 185 lbs.

I started penny pinching.. we cut out eating out all together.  We got rid of cable TV, we kept our internet b/c my husband needs that so I have to say the internet has been my source of intertainment for me the past year.. so I was able to stay connected to OH which was nice.  We also stopped going to the movies etc.  I sill was able to have my protein shake puchases and occasional latte from starbucks but otherwise.. nothing nadda.  I wasn't able to freely purchase clothes etc.. I made do with what I had and honestly it wasn't so bad.  We also got smart at the grocery store, saving bits and peices and I would pick up extra shifts at the hospital when I could.  It started growing.. we were able to save over the last year almost 10k.  Not sure how but we did it!  So I am paying for my LBL and as much as I want boobs and arms done a good bra does wonders for now.. lots of padding and holds u in on the sides.. I can live with that for a while but the tummy thing.. extra skin around the mid section/hips etc.. has to go.. it kills me to see my body

Wow a lot of my post got erased not sure why?

Hopefully u got my full reply in your email.. sorry about that! i also said we treid to neogtiate but it didn't work out b/c my surgeon is so renouned in what he does, hes a microvasuclar surgeon also so he can put hands/fingers back on if they are severed etc.. so he has lots of work and is not hurting by any means but he is an artist and I trust him 200% so I went with the asking price.  Inflation wise this proceure woulda been 7k last year after insurance this year I am paying 10.6k after insurance... which sucks but its life I guess.

Good luck to you.
Hugs, Melissa 

http://www.onetruemedia.com/shared?p=6166c1bf498224d5a8b93e&skin_id=701&utm_source=otm&utm_medium=text_url

RNY- 12/04/06 with Dr. Matt Glasock

LBL - 4/28/09 with Dr. Rene Recinos

Calif_Princess
on 4/11/09 5:19 am - Louisville, KY
Thanks Melissa for your kind words and thoughts!!!  I don't think alot of people understand, it's not vanity....it's emotional!  I'm also in college and after rasing 3 kids will be staring a new career even thought I'll be 20 - 25 years older then all the other college grads and compeating against them....so confidence comes in there too.  I'm figuring that everythig I need to be about $30K...if it costs less, then good.  I was planing on taking a home equaty loan when I was done losing the weight....well we lost our house, so there goes that idea.....

ARG!

Good luck with your surgery Melissa and I'm sending you quick healing thoughts!  Im' proud of you for saving so much!  WOW!  That must have been so hard.

Hubby and I don't go anywhere either.  We don't have tv either.  We need the internet because of my school.  I do get my nails done every two weeks and get my dog groomed every 3 or 4 months but other then that..nothing.  :O(  And we still can't save....geesh.

~Melissa~

Most Active