Maybe a Tax credit for wieght loss and or Plastics

EB2012
on 3/23/11 7:26 am - Canada
I found this online

I found this online...

Weight Loss (Sometimes)

As with any medical expense, this one can get tricky come tax season. As a general rule, costs associated with a weight-loss program are only deductible if there's a medical justification. To quote the Internal Revenue Service, "You can include in medical expenses amounts you pay to lose weight if it is a treatment for a specific disease diagnosed by a physician (such as obesity, hypertension, or heart disease)." Lap-band surgery, which is only used in cases of health-threatening obesity, is also deductible.

But there are limits: Your doctor might suggest that you start eating healthier, but that doesn't mean you can start deducting the cost of vegetables, says Jackie Perlman, principal tax research analyst for the Tax Institute at H&R Block.

Breast Implants

The IRS says that "unnecessary cosmetic surgery" cannot be deducted from your tax bill, but there are always exceptions. For one, survivors of breast cancer who have had a mastectomy may deduct the cost of breast reconstruction, as it constitutes a medical expense.

Meanwhile, breast augmentation for non-medical purposes can also be deducted if there's a business angle. Rob Seltzer, a certified public accountant who operates a private practice in Beverly Hills, recalls the story of an exotic dancer who was able to claim her breast enlargement as a business expense.

scrappylove
on 3/24/11 12:58 pm
I went to see my Accountant yesterday and asked the question. If a doctor is willing to give you a letter that the letter was considered reconstructive after massive weight loss instead of cosmetic then it can be written off.
You'll need the letter in case of an audit..
you may have fight but you can argue the prblems you were having prior to the weightloss.
onederland 09-12-09, 100 lb lost 01-16-10 
1st goal 150 05/26/10. LBL 06-20-11

Most Active